hi all, i am new at this hobby

reble

I am new to the hobby of flying r/c aircraft. I am 20 hours short of my private pilot license. The doctor failed me on the flight physical. It is a minor problem that doesn't effect me on the ground or as a passenger in the air. So now I can only fly r/c aircraft. Right now I have an E-flite Blade mCX RTF Micro Helicopter and I have the G4 flight simulator. I am pretty good at flying the fixed wing aircraft from the chase aircraft view. 2 things I have trouble with in the simulator. 1 control reversal because I have dyslexia, I have the control reversal problem in real time also. 2 In the simulator I have a problem with ground reference points as far as were the airplane is in reference to the landing field. 2 In both the simulator and real time with my mcf micro helicopter I have gotten pretty good at controlling the altitude but for the life of me I can't get the hang of keeping the copter in a hover mode . My gold is to get into the big r/c airplanes and helicopters because of a thing I can do with my Amateur Radio License. I can transmit live video and data (things like alt, direction, temp, barometric pressure and so on) from the aircraft in flight back down to my laptop. 1st I need to learn to fly without crashing the aircraft/ copter before investing in the video/data transmitting equipment. Any help and or tips will be greatly appreciated

Steve

when the plane is facing you you will want to correct banking by moving the stick towards the low wing. You can think about moving the rudder to fly the tail while facing you. Move the rudder right the tail will move to your right but the aircraft will turn to it's right. Up and down is constant of course. As for hovering that will just take time and practice. RF has some tools for helping with that.

Right now I have an E-flite Blade mCX RTF Micro Helicopter and I have the G4 flight simulator.

I am pretty good at flying the fixed wing aircraft from the chase aircraft view.

That is the first thing you want to STOP doing.

I've seen overconfident professional airline pilots practically weeping because they crashed an expensive RC plane that they were so sure they can fly.

RC is a different ball game altogether and it takes practice, practice, practice to learn. But once you do it is like riding a bike...

DO NOT use the simulator in chase aircraft view.

Always fly from the ground view ( RC Pilot's ) mode.

2 things I have trouble with in the simulator. 1 control reversal because I have dyslexia, I have the control reversal problem in real time also.

So did the airline pilots!

This is not unusual, and is one reason simulators and buddy boxes are so important for training.

The simulator will help you learn to overcome what you percieve as "control reversal"...

Remember nothing is actually reversed, it is your point of view that is screwing you up.

While on the ground you have to fly the plane as if you were in the cockpit.

This is not easy.

Keep that in mind as you fly from ground view mode... move the sticks as if you were in the cockpit.

2 In the simulator I have a problem with ground reference points as far as were the airplane is in reference to the landing field.

As do all novices both in the sim and in real life.

When I teach students at the field, I have them line the plane up in line with a guard fence directly in front of us, separating the pilots from the runway.

At first they do not want to do this because they perceive this as flying the plane "right at themselves" when they do not have great control.

Novices ALWAYS fly the plane out too far, and if they aim it at our fence, they are usually flying the plane on the far side of the runway anyway, but this gets them closer.

In Realflight you can use similiar aids.

However what you really want do practice and develope is a sense of where the plane is to the ground, when you absolutely CANNOT see the ground except on takeoff and just before landing.

Once you can do this in the sim, you'll have no problems with this in real life.

You learn to form a mental picture of where everything is and where the plane is over time.

2 In both the simulator and real time with my mcf micro helicopter I have gotten pretty good at controlling the altitude but for the life of me I can't get the hang of keeping the copter in a hover mode .

There IS NO "Hover mode".

Even the relatively stable CX type helicopters will not maintain a fully stable position. They keep moving around.

However unlike the more unstable collective helis, they stay upright, which is what makes them perfect for novices.

You need to give the heli constant ANTICIPATORY small stick movements to keep the heli ALMOST in one position.

If you ever see a heli hovering, it is not the heli that is maintaining the hover, it is the pilot furiously moving the sticks in small corrective movements.

Worst still the pilot has to move the sticks BEFORE the heli needs it!!!!

Once the heli moves in any direction, corrective actions are already too late... it is out of a hover.

Flying helis, unlike planes, is all about making the stick movements BEFORE things happen... in other words, it is all anticipation and correction.

This is not easy to master and many people NEVER do.

My gold is to get into the big r/c airplanes and helicopters because of a thing I can do with my Amateur Radio License. I can transmit live video and data (things like alt, direction, temp, barometric pressure and so on) from the aircraft in flight back down to my laptop.

The FAA however does not permit you to do that except under the guidelines and regulations that apply to RC aircraft.

That means you CAN NOT legally fly the plane as if you were sitting in the cockpit ( FPV only ).

Rather you must fly the plane from the ground and the FPV gogles or video can be displayed to your spotter.

You must never fly the plane outside of direct visual range too.

1st I need to learn to fly without crashing the aircraft/ copter before investing in the video/data transmitting equipment.

You need to walk before you can run.

Join the AMA, find a local club, join them, go through their training program.

Buy a training plane and fly the wings off of it.

Once you are a proficient fixed wing flyer, move on to heli's.

I always tell people that they learn to fly a fixed wing aircraft twice...

Upright and again inverted.

But I tell them that they must learn to fly a heli EIGHT times!!!!

Forward, backward, left, right, upsidedown forward, upsidedown back, upsidedown left, and upsidedown right.

And unlike fixed wing craft the heli is unstable in ALL orientations, while the fixed wing craft is stable in both.

Any help and or tips will be greatly appreciated

Already given...

Be prepared to start all over again, but this time using the tried and true mechanisms to learn.

Last edited:
Back