how to adjust idle???

poporacer

I am returning to RC flight after about 10 years of absence and felt that RF Basic could shake the cobwebs off. I have an electric plane so I figured I would start with the Electric plane in RF. The big issue I have is that it immediately starts of going down the runway and you can't turn the speed down to an idle let alone off. I tried turning the trim all the way down and it is still fast enough to take off. Because this has no manual and no settings, how do I get the speed down slow enough to land? I would also like to try some dead stick landing but the plane is far to fast at idle to try this....any suggestions?

Motor idle

The easiest way for me to tell you how to fix this issue, is in the radio edit.
Highlight the word AIRCRAFT in the tool bar
Click on Edit (the name of the plane)
Next in the AIRCRAFT EDITOR tool bar,
Click on Options
Put a check on Display Advanced Properties
Go down to the bottom of the same page
Click on Software Radio
Highlight Output channel 3
Look to the right side of the page at trim, start by putting a 5 on the trim. Do not put a – as this will make the motor run faster. I have had to go as high as 19 before to get the idle I was looking for.
You can also change the motor properties, but that is harder to fix that way.

Be sure and do what Cris said first.

flexible said:
Click on Options
Put a check on Display Advanced Properties
Go down to the bottom of the same page
Click on Software Radio
Highlight Output channel 3
Look to the right side of the page at trim, start by putting a 5 on the trim. Do not put a – as this will make the motor run faster. I have had to go as high as 19 before to get the idle I was looking for.
You can also change the motor properties, but that is harder to fix that way.

flexible said:

Can you edit planes in RF Basic?

Not calibration, possibly the controller?

I tried the calibration and that helped a little, but I think it might have revealed an issue. After I calibrated the controller and went to the last screen, when I had the throttle all the way down, the indicator that shows the controller movement showed the throttle as fluctuating. I recalibrated several times with the same result. When I went to RF Basic the plane acted the same way. With the controller throttle all the way down, the engine would stop, and then it would rev up enough that it would start down the runway, it was very erratic. Could this be a controller problem? How does other people's planes act on idle on the electric plane?

I can't speak for RFB, but in all the other RF versions, an electric plane's prop doesn't spin at all if the throttle is all the way down, even with the trim centered. If you go to Windows Control Panel for the joysticks, do you see erratic output there, too? You may have a defective controller.

Erratic there too.

Yes in the control panel it shows erratic behavior there too! Sometimes the prop will stop on the electric plane and sometimes it doesn't. Then when I give it one click up on the throttle it goes to almost half throttle! Makes it difficult to land, and that is what I am trying to work on! Now I guess I will try to contact Knife edge and see what they say!

you need the original tuned map that your tuner did for you. you need to open that and adjust the idle and possibly the iacv duty cycle as well. after adjusting you need to upload it again. i don't recommend this but if you cannot get the .cal file from your tuner you can download the .cal from your ecu. like i said,it is NOT recommended and most times it is security locked which doesn't allow for you to download.

:confused: Huh? :confused:
jonebay said:
you need the original tuned map that your tuner did for you. you need to open that and adjust the idle and possibly the iacv duty cycle as well. after adjusting you need to upload it again. i don't recommend this but if you cannot get the .cal file from your tuner you can download the .cal from your ecu. like i said,it is NOT recommended and most times it is security locked which doesn't allow for you to download.

No really, he knows what he's talking about :rolleyes: , LOL!

Not sure what planet this info came from?

Last edited:
Sounds like he is talking about an electronic control system for a car, but which one?

Which vehicle? And why was that posted in response to a question about an RC simulator?

Adjusting Idle...... Thanks

I was having the same problem.... adjusting idle.

You instructions worked perfectly.... Thanks flexible!

PS: I'm on version 4.50.050

Last edited:
Back