How To Build Your Own Models

Its a bit fragmented and hard to piece together sometimes. There is also a lot of conflicting information. I'll work on my credentials by self study instead of agitating you advanced users/engineers.

Belt CP V2

Sorry for posting it here.Can someone plse create a Belt CP v2 red and blue colour. :) I ordered one and would like to practise on G4.5. Or at least tell me where I can get a sim model exept fot the e sky sim...thanks

Running Lights

I’m new to RF but am enjoying it very much. Since I am a long time retired Naval Aviator, with thousands of hours in the Scooter (A-4 Skayhawk), I have set up an aircraft carrier with lights and meatball. The A-4 from expansion pack 5 has lights and I am able to make night carrier landings (most of the time successful). I would like to do the same with the A-7 Corsair II and the FA-18 which I downloaded from the swap pages, but neither have visible lights. How can I add them to these aircraft?

RealFlight shader for 3dsMax

Hi!

Everytime I want to create a new aircraft, I have this same nasty problem that I can't figure out how the texture will look like in RealFlight.
For sure, it's possible to simply model and map the aircraft in Max and then, design the texture when the object is imported in RealFlight. not very handy actually!
Many designers here will agree that a beautiful chrom- or even metallic-effect is sometime hard to get right for RealFlight without a "metal"-shader :confused:

I searched everywhere on this forum, on internet, almost everywhere I can imagine, if a DirectX-shader exists that simulates in Max the rendering of RealFlight.
Impossible to find anything! It would be nice that RF-Creators give such a (.fx) file for download on the KE-Max page. :p

I spent a little bit time with understanding the shaders in Max and made this shader self instead. This is a very simple shader, with the possibility to add the 3 maps used by RealFlight (diffuse map with alpha channel, normal map, specular map) linked together with a kind of RealFlight logic.
Simply import your 3 TGA-maps and a square DDS-picture for the Cubemap (e.g. 512x512) and that's it! Your model in Max with real-time reflection, normals and specular.

For sure, this is just a temporary solution, but it looks really near to the RealFlight rendering, and is a good help :p

Unpack the zip-file into your 32bit 3dsmax-folder. In the material editor, select "Direct-X material" and load the "RealFlight.fx" shader. :D
When your model looks great, use the same glossiness and specular settings with a standard material because you can't export your plane to KEX when it has DirectX shaders.

I hope this will help you as much as it helps me...

Lex

Attachments

• 3dsMax RF shader.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 29
  • MaterialEditor.gif
    MaterialEditor.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Viewport.jpg
    Viewport.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Adding to Viennalex's reply, I have some CS's I've made in Photoshop CS4 extended and it has a filter for lighting effects. You just slide the slider bar over from plastic to metallic. I have some REALLY brilliant results ranging from chrome highlights to a totally blinged out Ion-X canopy with chrome, gold, copper, bronze, metallic blue and even brushed metal.

I would love it if I could add lights though.

Recolor

I was wondering, I'm new to the color schemes, how would I take the Extra 300 paint scheme and convert it to work with the Edge 540? I love the paint scheme I downloaded for the Extra BA, however, I want to convert it to the edge 540 because it's a more accurate model for what I'm flying. :)

Does anyone know if a Catia model is compatible with RealFlight? Yes, I was working on Wings 3D for a while, but the face selection tool quit working.
Or I could try Blender again first since I know that does everything necessary to get a model into G4.5.

We say it over and over.
Realflight will import a .kex the whole .kex and nothing but the .kex file format.

You need either the .kex plugin for 3dsmax to create the .kex.
OR
Export to .3ds and use the 3ds2kex dos command.

Steevy_T said:
Does anyone know if a Catia model is compatible with RealFlight? Yes, I was working on Wings 3D for a while, but the face selection tool quit working.
Or I could try Blender again first since I know that does everything necessary to get a model into G4.5.

Hi,
I am new with Real Flight. I just bought RF8 a week ago.

I am trying to build custom planes by making a "save as" of an existing plane. I would like to change the name for the airframe and the name of the product. As an example, I would like something as follow

Select Aircraft:

+John personal creations
|
---> Creation No 0101
---> Creation No 0101

+Tommy personal creations
|
---> Creation No 0201
---> Creation No 0202

I tried different things and looked on forum, but didn't find anything about this. How can I do that?

Back