How to edit throttle response

ToonBorghijs

Hello guys,

I just downloaded a plane for 3D practice.

Link: https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/extreme-flight-104in-mxs-exp_v2_ea.25929/

I felt like the engine setup wasn't optimal so I copied the setup from a plane I was satisfied with.

Link: https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/120cc-extra-jase-v2_av.24780/

So I copied every setting from the engine menu. It is already better but there is still a difference in throttle response i can't seem to change. Is it possible and if so, where?

Bad throttle response:
1605352764872.png
Good throttle response:
1605352636149.png

I also checked the servo speed of the throttle servo and the torque curve of both engines.
If you have any idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

When you say throttle response, I assume that you mean the speed at which the prop RPM accelerates. You might try reducing the prop diameter by about 2 inches and increasing the prop pitch by an inch to account for the reduced thrust.

does one of the plane give an error about cannot find ~CS_SPINNER1?
I haven't seen any errors pop up, where should these appear?
I was also thinking that the visuals would effect it. Maybe when the spinner is bigger it weighs more so it accelerates slower.

When you say throttle response, I assume that you mean the speed at which the prop RPM accelerates. You might try reducing the prop diameter by about 2 inches and increasing the prop pitch by an inch to account for the reduced thrust.
Yes that is an option but then i would sacrifice some hover pull-out :(. I'm just wondering what the difference between the two models is (since the engine settings are the same) and where I can change it.

The visuals are totally separate from the engine and it's performance.

The acceleration of the RPMs is totally a mater of the physics at work. There are only three ways to get a prop to spin up faster. Increase the torque of the engine, reduce the prop pitch and thereby it's drag, or decrease the prop's diameter, which reduces mass and moves the remaining mass closer to the axis of rotation. The third is the most effective for tuning the way the engine behaves, with pitch making finer adjustment to put the power where you need it and adjust the point that the useful thrust occurs.

I don't think you will get many folks to comb through two model physics files and sort out the differences for you. You can do that as well as anyone. Try my suggestion and see what it does.

Actually, I thought of another possibility. If the Back Torque is higher on the new plane, that could slow the motor spinning up, as more of the torque is lost into the fuselage.

I have just made another engine where I adjusted the torque curve. Now it has more low end torque and thus the prop will accelerate faster. The top end power remains the same so the full throttle flying speed (wich was good) also remains the same.
thx guys for thinking with me

i think i understand your problem i have the same, no matter if im using same everithing on diferent planes they all realc diferent by no reason,,, i fixed that by increasing power to 400 and on the channel 3 /thottle settings i put a complex function (3 point curve )so it doesnt get to 100 travel, its like 40% when full stick up, and i check rpms and thrust to get what i like ,, and that way the motor spool up the prop much faster,

You might also try changing the brand/kind of prop, even if keeping the same pitch and diameter. One with lower mass will allow the engine to spool up faster. Unfortunately, it looks to be a select and try process, as there are no specs for each kind of prop listed.
I wonder why there is an empty "Propellers" folder in the user directory for RF???

I have 46 files in my Propellers folder. I made custom ones by editing the existing ones.
Hmm, how to you get to editing of one? All I see under Prop Type (just above Advanced Settings in one of the screen shots above) are a long list of optional ones. no "..." that let's me make my own....(RF ver 8.5)

You can easily edit their tga files to change textures and colors. I've created colored ones, chrome ones, etc that way. There are two tga files. One is the front/back surface and another is the side surface. They are labeled as such. Gimp is a free program you can use to edit the tga files.

I see you found how to edit the physics.

Hmmm. Looked at Boof69's tutorials, and imported his demo prop. Based it on the MenZ. Then edited the weight in the new propeller file found in the Propellers folder (using Notepad). Spool up was noticeably faster. I was goofy, and lowered the weight to 1 (1 gram?). Plane flew fine, indicated rpm seemed not to change, but I got some weird sound artifacts.....so maybe shouldn't be so wild on the weight reduction....

Back