How to Upgrade to RealFlight Evolution from a RealFlight 9 DVD Edition

I had a real hard time getting 9.5 to install from DVD on Windows 10. The problem there was that the certificates used to sign the program files had expired, and my anti-virus software kept thinking the installer was a virus. Is that what's happening to you? If so, here's my story about what happened and how I got around it.

Some good news. You can ask Horizon to exchange that serial number for a copy of RealFlight 9.5S, which is the version of 9.5 distributed using Steam. They got away from DVD's, and the current version (Evolution) is distributed through Steam too. If you exchange the serial number, it will never activate a DVD install again; you might as well throw away the DVD's. But once you tie the new 9.5S code to a Steam account, you'll be able to install 9.5 on as many computers as you like as long as you only use one copy at a time. You won't be able to sell anything from Steam to another person, though; the way you got those DVD's won't exist anymore. Here's a link to that serial number exchange page.

You cannot get any kind of a deal to upgrade to Evolution from where you're at. Even if you get 9.5S for free now, you can't turn around and upgrade that program to Evolution. Only people that paid for 9.5S got a discount on Evolution. But honestly, 9.5S will keep you going for a while.

I had to install an older version of RF this morning myself, and definitely did a lot of clicking on the "Unblock" button... šŸ˜… I'm exceedingly glad we were able to effectively resolve that in more recent versions.

@Toddolie, there's some great info in @flightengr's post above. I have just one correction:
Only people that paid for 9.5S got a discount on Evolution.
Actually, people who purchased 9.5S received Evolution for free, while all other RF9 users qualify for a 30% discount. Please note that the discount requires first exchanging your RF9 serial for a 9.5S Steam key as flightengr described above.

Back