How to Upgrade to RealFlight Evolution from a RealFlight 9 DVD Edition

@ImManson, yes, the InterLink-X from RF-X is supported in RealFlight 9.5 and Evolution.

I'm not sure what upgrades you're asking about. 8.00.056, which you have, is the highest available version of RF8. There is no upgrade path from RF8 to Evolution.
well i suppose i should of said had .056 until i had to unistall due to me not realizing or paying attention of there being 2 dif versions r8/hh and i had ripped the program from my old pc to put on new pc due to misplacing disc after moving . i now have my disc and no viable updates . i was looking at evolution due to this screw up on my part .i may have found a updated copy on my external hdd though .fingers crossed and i realize upgrade paths are no longer supported at all . cant upgrade from trainer to 9-9.5 anymore 9.5 is completely gone unless ya want to pay the same price as evolution on ebay and amazon

OK, I think I'm starting to get a more complete picture.

You actually should be able to install from your DVD and then perform an online update to 8.00.056 through the Launcher. That system is still fully operational, even though that's an older product. (In fact, online updates are actually still available for versions going all the way back to G3!) So if you're having difficulty with that, maybe if you provide some more info about exactly where you're stuck we will be able to help you.

Even better, I suggest you contact RealFlight Technical Support. Visit this link and click the speech bubble with the three dots in the lower right corner to begin a chat. Type "agent" to connect with a live person during business hours.

If you are a RealFlight 9.5 DVD edition user who would like to upgrade to RealFlight Evolution at the discounted price, you can!

All you need to do is first exchange your RealFlight serial number for a Steam key at this site: https://keyexchange.realflight.com/

Redeem your key on Steam for your copy of RealFlight 9.5S, then you can select the lower-price “Upgrade from RealFlight 9.5” option on the Evolution store page on Steam. (You don't need to actually install RF9.5S for this to work.)

Though this is subject to change, at this point we intend to keep the key exchange site running for quite a while.
I´m owner of a 9.5 DVD edition, with Interlink DX controller, I can send you the ticket, the picture of the box, Serial numbers, etc. I have followed this instructions to get Evolution update and If I want it, I have to pay 69,99€. Now, I have 9.5S version in the game list of Steam, but nothing about Evolution. It´s really disappointing

Attachments

• steam realflight.jpg
    steam realflight.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I´m owner of a 9.5 DVD edition, with Interlink DX controller, I can send you the ticket, the picture of the box, Serial numbers, etc. I have followed this instructions to get Evolution update and If I want it, I have to pay 69,99€. Now, I have 9.5S version in the game list of Steam, but nothing about Evolution. It´s really disappointing
It seems reasonable to me. You purchased RF 9.5, you got RF 9.5S for free, and you get the next version of the program for 30 dollars off. How can a company have many people working on a new version for a year and then give it away to existing customers. The upgrade price seems fair to me. But I'm a retired software engineer so maybe that changes my view.

It seems reasonable to me. You purchased RF 9.5, you got RF 9.5S for free, and you get the next version of the program for 30 dollars off. How can a company have many people working on a new version for a year and then give it away to existing customers. The upgrade price seems fair to me. But I'm a retired software engineer so maybe that changes my view.
Well, after 200€ for realflight + controller I´ve got 5 new aircraft and 1 new airport with the free upgrade to 9.5s. People who bought 9.5s get over 200 aircraft and 30 airports with the free upgrade to Evolution. The same price for the same product. Apart from that, 9.5 got no updates for 2 years. Is 70€ fair to you for an update like Evolution with no new visual technologies and improvements?. Evolution is not a new version, is a simple update. Evolution to what?

Well, after 200€ for realflight + controller I´ve got 5 new aircraft and 1 new airport with the free upgrade to 9.5s. People who bought 9.5s get over 200 aircraft and 30 airports with the free upgrade to Evolution. The same price for the same product. Apart from that, 9.5 got no updates for 2 years. Is 70€ fair to you for an update like Evolution with no new visual technologies and improvements?. Evolution is not a new version, is a simple update. Evolution to what?
I understand your frustration and if you bought the RF 9.5 DVD edition "after" they released RF 9.5S (don't know the date) Ryan Douglas mentioned he would like a PM because he would like to help. He's a good guy and will help if he can. But if you didn't buy an "old" stock version and bought it "before" RF 9.5S was released you have to pay the upgrade price. If you buy a New TV and a short time later the new model comes out you don't get an upgrade for free, or even an upgrade price cut. There are limitations in RealFlight, we all know about them, but it's a very nice program. If there isn't enough reason to buy the new version, then don't.

RF Evolution is a fresh start and will become more as time goes by, they explained what they were doing with it early on. RealFlight has been moved to a 64 bit application and they're working on an upgrade to DirectX which should fix most of their woes. So I'm rooting for them.

I understand your frustration and if you bought the RF 9.5 DVD edition "after" they released RF 9.5S (don't know the date) Ryan Douglas mentioned he would like a PM because he would like to help. He's a good guy and will help if he can. But if you didn't buy an "old" stock version and bought it "before" RF 9.5S was released you have to pay the upgrade price. If you buy a New TV and a short time later the new model comes out you don't get an upgrade for free, or even an upgrade price cut. There are limitations in RealFlight, we all know about them, but it's a very nice program. If there isn't enough reason to buy the new version, then don't.

RF Evolution is a fresh start and will become more as time goes by, they explained what they were doing with it early on. RealFlight has been moved to a 64 bit application and they're working on an upgrade to DirectX which should fix most of their woes. So I'm rooting for them.
I tell you just the same I told to "asj5547" in another post and you click "like" to his post.

I'm not going to argue for a discount or free upgrade. What is clear to me is that, from my point of view, less than 2 months does not make a big difference between been eligible for a free update to RF Evolution or not been elegible in my case. Apart from that, if it had been known that in 2 months there would be a new version and that it would be redeemable when Evolution came out, there would have been no problem waiting that long to spend 200€, because it is a considerable effort for my economy.
No problem, I will not pay the 69,99€ for an update (yes, a simple update, at least, today) because it´s the price for AAA game today and I think it´s not fair. And the example you give of the television is not valid because is not the same case. To give you an example, I exchanged my PS4 for a PS4 Pro by delivering the old one and paying a symbolic amount in a well-known store in a renewal program few years ago, not paying more than the half full price like here.
They can explain and they can say whatever they want, but the reality is that today there is only one update and very good wishes, that's not worth 70€.

Thank you anyway.

I tell you just the same I told to "asj5547" in another post and you click "like" to his post.

I'm not going to argue for a discount or free upgrade. What is clear to me is that, from my point of view, less than 2 months does not make a big difference between been eligible for a free update to RF Evolution or not been elegible in my case. Apart from that, if it had been known that in 2 months there would be a new version and that it would be redeemable when Evolution came out, there would have been no problem waiting that long to spend 200€, because it is a considerable effort for my economy.
No problem, I will not pay the 69,99€ for an update (yes, a simple update, at least, today) because it´s the price for AAA game today and I think it´s not fair. And the example you give of the television is not valid because is not the same case. To give you an example, I exchanged my PS4 for a PS4 Pro by delivering the old one and paying a symbolic amount in a well-known store in a renewal program few years ago, not paying more than the half full price like here.
They can explain and they can say whatever they want, but the reality is that today there is only one update and very good wishes, that's not worth 70€.

Thank you anyway.
I'm sorry I didn't want to offend you but there are clear cut-off dates. You're in or you're out. And I "liked" asj5547s post because we're friends and that's my way of letting him know I read his post. And yes 200 is difficult to come by, for me too. The PS4 deal was most likely because they know they'll make money selling you games after the hardware upgrade. (their incentive)

I'm sorry I didn't want to offend you but there are clear cut-off dates. You're in or you're out. And I "liked" asj5547s post because we're friends and that's my way of letting him know I read his post. And yes 200 is difficult to come by, for me too. The PS4 deal was most likely because they know they'll make money selling you games after the hardware upgrade. (their incentive)
No offense at all. You're right, either you're in or you're out. Seen what I've seen, I prefer to be outside, not out of pride, but because I don't want them to consider that I'm stupid or something else. Of course I think it's great that you give to your friend a "like". And yes, Sony knows that by changing the consoles we are going to buy more games, complete games, not updates or patches for 70€.

What is crystal clear is that policies like this encourage users to prefer to obtain software through other not so legal means. I like to buy programs legally and I have a lot, for example on Steam (12 years of activity) I have bought more than 200 games, some like DCS with 26 additional modules. But with cases like this, I understand people who support piracy, I don't like it, but I understand it.
I hope that in the future they develop Realflight in the way that we can call it Evolution for real. Maybe then I'll think it's worth paying for it. For now, 9.5 helps me to continue training, ...for now and beyond.

Last edited:
@Luisflo, I am also looking forward to the release of the updated version of RF Evolution, with a later version of DirectX (DX12) and hopefully a new graphics engine to improve the visual quality, but the main reason to purchase RF is the flight physics, which is extremely good.
The big difference between RF9.5 and RFE is that most of the aircraft from the 8 Expansion Packs are included in RF Evolution for free, (approximately 130 models) if you purchased the 8 EP's on Ebay you would probably spend $200 - $300.

@Luisflo, I am also looking forward to the release of the updated version of RF Evolution, with a later version of DirectX (DX12) and hopefully a new graphics engine to improve the visual quality, but the main reason to purchase RF is the flight physics, which is extremely good.
The big difference between RF9.5 and RFE is that most of the aircraft from the 8 Expansion Packs are included in RF Evolution for free, (approximately 130 models) if you purchased the 8 EP's on Ebay you would probably spend $200 - $300.
So, the RF9 physics are not good and the Evolution ones are?.
You say that you are waiting for the graphic improvements, and what happens if this does not happen because the company closes, for example?
In my case, I don't care if I have more or less planes. I use RF because I have a T-Rex 500, a Durafly Spitfire, and a DJI Phantom 4 that I fly in real life. This helicopter and this plane that I have, come in RF9.5, and for the drone, I have other similar models and I don't need 8 packs with 10,000 more aircraft. Please, that argument that they are included for free...
€70, neither more nor less. And no graphic improvements, don´t forget it.

So, the RF9 physics are not good and the Evolution ones are?.
You say that you are waiting for the graphic improvements, and what happens if this does not happen because the company closes, for example?
In my case, I don't care if I have more or less planes. I use RF because I have a T-Rex 500, a Durafly Spitfire, and a DJI Phantom 4 that I fly in real life. This helicopter and this plane that I have, come in RF9.5, and for the drone, I have other similar models and I don't need 8 packs with 10,000 more aircraft. Please, that argument that they are included for free...
€70, neither more nor less. And no graphic improvements, don´t forget it.
I'm not sure you know this but this is a "User Forum" so no one here can give you a copy of Evolution. If you want you can PM the Administrator to see if he can help you but it's time to give this a rest. From what you've said Evolution would give you nothing, you have all the planes you want in RF 9.5. And as far as I know the physics in Evolution are the same as RF 9.5. I "think" @asj5547 was saying that RealFlight has be best physics of the RC simulators, not that Evolution is better than RF 9.5. But if I'm wrong he'll correct me.

Okay, let me clarify what I was trying to say, Realflight has the absolute best physics of all the RC simulators that I have tried.
Hopefully the DirectX software rewrite will also improve the graphics quality.
I see no difference between RF9.5 or RFE, only the number of aircraft and airports.
So, if RF9.5 has all the aircraft you fly, then you are good to go, enjoy.

I'm not sure you know this but this is a "User Forum" so no one here can give you a copy of Evolution. If you want you can PM the Administrator to see if he can help you but it's time to give this a rest. From what you've said Evolution would give you nothing, you have all the planes you want in RF 9.5. And as far as I know the physics in Evolution are the same as RF 9.5. I "think" @asj5547 was saying that RealFlight has be best physics of the RC simulators, not that Evolution is better than RF 9.5. But if I'm wrong he'll correct me.
First of all and very important, I think I've already told you that I don't want a free copy. I am not begging for anything.

Second, it seems that you and your friend @asj5547 are the real administrators of the forum; It seems that they pay you commission or give you bonuses for defending an update policy that I do not consider correct, as well as unfair. The real administrator has not appeared at anytime.

Third, on the other hand I know exactly what it is and where I am. That's why it's the right place to expose my complaints and my opinion, something that neither of you seems to like. And even more so when I'm doing it with respect, without insulting and being correct, the first for education and the second because I already have gray hair. That you say that "I'm not sure you know this but this is a "User Forum" may even be offensive because I'm not stupid.

Fourth, more in my favor if you recognize that the physics are the same. In simulation programs like X-plane, MS Flight simulator, DCS, etc., corrections of the flight model are made in the new versions, nothing here. Perhaps with the long-awaited updates of directx12 or graphics engine as you said. The reality is that they are 70€ for aircraft packages today. And don´t forget about 2 years without mayor updates in the previous version. Lets see what happen in the future with evolution.

Finally, you already have your time to give this a rest. Good luck.

First of all and very important, I think I've already told you that I don't want a free copy. I am not begging for anything.

Second, it seems that you and your friend @asj5547 are the real administrators of the forum; It seems that they pay you commission or give you bonuses for defending an update policy that I do not consider correct, as well as unfair. The real administrator has not appeared at anytime.

Third, on the other hand I know exactly what it is and where I am. That's why it's the right place to expose my complaints and my opinion, something that neither of you seems to like. And even more so when I'm doing it with respect, without insulting and being correct, the first for education and the second because I already have gray hair. That you say that "I'm not sure you know this but this is a "User Forum" may even be offensive because I'm not stupid.

Fourth, more in my favor if you recognize that the physics are the same. In simulation programs like X-plane, MS Flight simulator, DCS, etc., corrections of the flight model are made in the new versions, nothing here. Perhaps with the long-awaited updates of directx12 or graphics engine as you said. The reality is that they are 70€ for aircraft packages today. And don´t forget about 2 years without mayor updates in the previous version. Lets see what happen in the future with evolution.

Finally, you already have your time to give this a rest. Good luck.
So you don't want an upgrade to RF Evolution at no cost? I thought that's what you've been asking for. I wasn't trying to offend you but you keep beating on the subject of a free upgrade to Evolution it seems, in a place with people that can't help you. Complaints for complaints sake doesn't help you or anyone on the forum. It seems you bring nothing here except problems. And then say you understand piracy. (What is crystal clear is that policies like this encourage users to prefer to obtain software through other not so legal means) How about being part of the community instead of preaching at it and hinting at piracy.

@Luisflo, you have taken every opportunity--across multiple threads--to talk about what you perceive as a lack of value in RealFlight Evolution. At the same time, you are bothered that you didn’t get it for free. It seems to me you’re not missing out on anything, and all the fuss is unnecessary.

In a free market, everybody gets to decide for themselves whether something is a good value proposition. This is as it should be. What is valuable to one person is not necessarily valuable to another. You have decided the RF Evo upgrade is not worth the cost to you. Some other people have reached different conclusions for themselves. (Let us be clear: what people don’t get to do is decide that because the asking price is too high in their opinion, they are entitled to just take it.)

I think part of the issue is that you want your viewpoint to be heard. I hereby acknowledge it. I won’t tell you you’re right, but I can’t tell you you’re wrong, either; it’s a personal decision (see above).

You have indicated that RealFlight 9.5S meets your needs. We are glad that it does! Please, continue using and benefiting from it. We hope you will keep an eye on future RealFlight Evolution developments and that at some point down the road you will decide it is worth your money.

So you don't want an upgrade to RF Evolution at no cost? I thought that's what you've been asking for. I wasn't trying to offend you but you keep beating on the subject of a free upgrade to Evolution it seems, in a place with people that can't help you. Complaints for complaints sake doesn't help you or anyone on the forum. It seems you bring nothing here except problems. And then say you understand piracy. (What is crystal clear is that policies like this encourage users to prefer to obtain software through other not so legal means) How about being part of the community instead of preaching at it and hinting at piracy.
For education I am not going to answer you, nor am I going to disrespect you. Your insinuations are at the level that corresponds to you. The communities are there to expose benefits, problems, solutions and opinions, among other things. If you don't like what they can tell you, you already know what you can do. When you learn that being part of a community is not constantly saying yes to administrators, then we discuss.
Obviously and seeing your behavior, there is something else behind that I neither want to know nor am interested.

Have a nice day, thanks for taking a clear picture of you.

@Luisflo, you have taken every opportunity--across multiple threads--to talk about what you perceive as a lack of value in RealFlight Evolution. At the same time, you are bothered that you didn’t get it for free. It seems to me you’re not missing out on anything, and all the fuss is unnecessary.

In a free market, everybody gets to decide for themselves whether something is a good value proposition. This is as it should be. What is valuable to one person is not necessarily valuable to another. You have decided the RF Evo upgrade is not worth the cost to you. Some other people have reached different conclusions for themselves. (Let us be clear: what people don’t get to do is decide that because the asking price is too high in their opinion, they are entitled to just take it.)

I think part of the issue is that you want your viewpoint to be heard. I hereby acknowledge it. I won’t tell you you’re right, but I can’t tell you you’re wrong, either; it’s a personal decision (see above).

You have indicated that RealFlight 9.5S meets your needs. We are glad that it does! Please, continue using and benefiting from it. We hope you will keep an eye on future RealFlight Evolution developments and that at some point down the road you will decide it is worth your money.
To end the topic for my part:

- Of course I am trying to make my opinion clear and it is none other than I consider that the update policy is neither fair nor correct. It cannot be that we buy a product 2 months before a new version comes out, without there having been any way of knowing that it is going to come out and we have no way of reacting. We could have waited without problem. In this way you have made sure that if we want the new version we will have to checkout twice. That is in my case, now ask the man who has not had his pass to Evolution for 5 days (he is in another thread).

- Does 9.5 meet what I need? The answer is yes for now. But EVERYONE wants to get better, better graphics, better performance, better physics, better technology, etc. Does Evolution have those features right now? NO, we just have an idea of what it could be but nothing tangible. Words are carried away by the wind and it is not the first time that a software studio has gone bankrupt or simply dissolved due to creative differences. The difference here is that you pay €70 for aircraft packages, nothing more for now. In other programs, such as the Train Simulator series, they have been updating for free for buyers who have had it for years at no charge. The developers have considered that the improvements went with the original price and they could take advantage of the additional packages and not the other way around, as happens in Evolution.

- In my opinion, everyone who bought RF9.5 within six months of Evolution's release (proving it) should have had the upgrade free of charge.

- My intention is not to look for trouble, behave like a troll or anything like that. I am simply complaining, since it is my right and that is what the forums are for, no matter how much some may not like it, about a decision that does not seem fair to me after having paid €200.

I have nothing else to say. I have been polite and I have not fallen into answering someone in the way they deserved for insinuating things that are not. Good luck with Evolution and I hope your wishes materialize in what you want from this program.

Have a nice day.

I am the new (next, as in new to me) owner of RF9 with the 2 discs and the dongle and an NX10 radio. I cannot get the system software to load on my computer which I am pretty sure is Windows 10 and desperately want to start flying with the simulator and radio to get away from my RTF controller planes and help me progress with my other RC planes using this new radio, I assume like the rest of us. What are my options at this point in time? Do I qualify for a steam upgrade or some other refresh or update? Is RF9 too old? Am I screwed?

Back