I can't figure out how to export from RF so I can make an AV from an EA

abwalsh99

I've not been able to find how to take an existing aircraft that exists in RF and export / convert it into a Blender compatible format. I want to make an electric AV for an existing gas powered EA. I've seen lots of info about going the other direction, ie from Blender or or 3DS Max into RF format but not the other way around. Thanks!

Convert an existing model to an electric AV in the Realflight vehicle editor, click on "Aircraft" top left menu, in the drop-down list click on Edit (name of plane you have loaded) and that will open the vehicle editor. (See pic)
Search on YouTube for tutorials on using the editor.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 4
To repower, resize, or any other physics change, as asj5547 noted, all you need is the built in Aircraft Editor. You can even add things (or subtract), you just won't see the change. But it will fly like it would with the changes. For what you want, that is all that is needed, as long as you don't mind "seeing" the gas engine (if visible in the original).

To make changes to the visual model, other than resizing, (change shapes, add/subtract things you see, etc.) you need the 3rd party 3D modeling tool AND the files originally used in the program. Which only exist on the hard drive of the creator - not available for stock planes or standard EA swap page planes.

Thanks Flapper and ASJ5547 -- I had already made changes through the RF editor and have an acceptably performing electric aircraft. I was hoping that the EA and AV files that I've downloaded from the swap pages could be converted into an FBX format so that I could make the visual modifications in Blender and then repost on the swap pages with references to the EA and AV models I started with. It is interesting that one of the editor options is to make the engine invisible but this option doesn't seem to do anything -- I'd be happy if I just couldn't see the gas engine (and the smoke it generates).

Thanks Flapper and ASJ5547 -- I had already made changes through the RF editor and have an acceptably performing electric aircraft. I was hoping that the EA and AV files that I've downloaded from the swap pages could be converted into an FBX format so that I could make the visual modifications in Blender and then repost on the swap pages with references to the EA and AV models I started with. It is interesting that one of the editor options is to make the engine invisible but this option doesn't seem to do anything -- I'd be happy if I just couldn't see the gas engine (and the smoke it generates).
What model is it that you wish to alter.?

Hi ASJ5547. I want to get an electric version of a Sig LT-40. Here's a screenshot of my plane, which is based on an AV I found on the swap pages. Electric LT-40 Tigershark.pngI will find the link to the AV and EA and post them

Thanks to GunHead for creating both the EA and AV. I modified the colorscheme by taking pictures of my plane and used GIMP to modify the .TGA file. Apologies for making this 4 separate posts. I am still learning how to navigate the forum.

Back