Installing 7.5 on Windows 10 in 2020?

hexperience

I just found my 7.5 install disc and my interlink interface...

Keep getting stuck where the setup2.exe can't make the registry entry for LanucherExe

Tried all the compatibility settings on and off, tried creating the TMP folder in the root of c:, tried antivirus off etc etc

Latest Windows 10, so I'm pretty sure it may never work, but it would be fantastic if there was a way to get it going again. I spent so many hours flying helis, it would be super nice to still see if I can do it.. :)

If anyone happens to know some tips or tricks..

Yep, but keep the ideas comin' :)
I even tried creating the reg entry and opening full permissions on it.
Tried signing out of my account (that is in the admin group) and signed in as the actual Administrator account. Same thing, can't create the reg entry.

Last edited:
I still have 7.5 on my main PC so I tried installing it on an older computer running Win 10 Pro (32 bit). It installed fine for me so it's not the program. Try installing some other program and see if it has trouble creating reg entries too. You could also try installing it in compatibility mode for Win 7 etc.

Not much help here, I was running 7.5 for a long time under Win 10 (64 bit). But sold it when I upgraded to 8. So can't help with debugging. Give RF tech support a call, and they should be able to get it going.

Make sure that you check the realflight folder, because when i reinstalled rf 7.5 this spring I thought that it didn't work, until I checked the folder accessed by the windows button. This might not be the problem you are having, but just a thought.

What exactly is the error you are getting? Full text or screen shot. I will bet its a registry permissions issue, but having the exact error will help me decide the direction to point you.

Log generated by: C:\TEMP\Installer\setup2.exe

[Error] KEError 16030: Registry addition operation failed.
Key: SOFTWARE\Knife Edge Software\Installed Products\RealFlight 7
Value: LauncherExe

Hey Caltain! you win the internet today!! I rechecked HKLM and I haddn't applied the change to allow all software packages! Thanks very much.

Is there an alternate prize? I could never fit the whole internet in the spare bedroom...

Seriously, I've broken Windows sooooooooooo many times and had to find or create my own cures I should be on Bill and Melinda's Christmas card list, BUT I'M NOT BITTER!

Just glad to have you flying in formation again!

Welcome! I look forward to your contributions!

Thanks again... If I had just double checked that I hit apply the first time it would have saved a few posts.

But yeah, back in the saddle and I can still hover inverted!

Back