Integrated graphics issues with 12th-generation Intel processors

drj

I know that RealFlight has posted about the issue with 12th gen Intel embedded graphics processors. Encouraging customers to contact Intel seems misguided. Intel has dropped support for native DirectX 9 support [1]. Since Microsoft is still supporting DirectX, Microsoft will need to issue a fix to address emulation issues. Contacting both Intel and Microsoft may help but I'm not holding my breath. DirectX version 9 is twenty years old and the number of games using it gets smaller and smaller..

The best answer is for RealFlight to upgrade DirectX version 12 (or use a better supported graphics API). It is frankly astounding that a new version of RealFlight has been issued without upgrading to support modern technologies. RealFlight and Knifesedge can fix this.

I purchased RF 4 months ago and still cannot use it due to the Direct X issue. I'm hoping this update arrives soon but how will I know when this update is available.

I have no idea whether this might help:
The optional KB5018482 update for Windows 10 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2 is available now and includes some quality-of-life improvements while squashing a few bugs.

Here are highlights from the update:

• Fixes a bug that caused a Windows upgrade to stop responding and fail.
  • Addresses an issue that affected Microsoft Direct3D 9 games. The graphics hardware stopped working if the hardware did not have a native Direct3D 9 driver.
  • Addresses graphical issues in games that use Microsoft D3D9 on some platforms.
The article I quoted from said that there's a bug fix updae for Win11, but it didn't mention D3D9, so I only quoted the Win10 part.
If you're running Win10, it might be worth a try.

The article I quoted from said that there's a bug fix updae for Win11, but it didn't mention D3D9, so I only quoted the Win10 part.
If you're running Win10, it might be worth a try.
I'm running Win10 and just downloaded the optional update. Unfortunately, it did not fix the compatibility issue.

The best answer is for RealFlight to upgrade DirectX version 12 (or use a better supported graphics API). It is frankly astounding that a new version of RealFlight has been issued without upgrading to support modern technologies. RealFlight and Knifesedge can fix this.

I agree 100%. I've spent hours troubleshooting RealFlight (no connected controller error) and finally reached out to their support for help. These were their suggestions:

Tech: Purchase a powered usb hub to fix it.​
Me: I can see the controller in windows device manager and can test the controls as well as calibrate it, so the controller is clearly being recognized.​
Tech: Get the latest drivers for your usb ports.​
Me: I've updated all drivers; the computer is brand new.​
Tech: Do you have an Intel 12 gen processor?​
Me: Yes​
Tech: That is the problem. I'll email you a link with a work around. https://forums.realflight.com/index...-with-12th-generation-intel-processors.56583/
So their fix is to buy a GPU. My 12-year-old son purchased this simulator using his hard-earned money, and now I'm supposed to tell him to drop another $250+ to get his $200 simulator to work?! I think I'll pass on this one. We've decided to return it.

As noted above, a fix for that issue is in the works. I hope you and your son will check back periodically and consider trying RealFlight Evolution again when that is available.

As noted above, a fix for that issue is in the works. I hope you and your son will check back periodically and consider trying RealFlight Evolution again when that is available.
I just talked with him more about it and he still sounds excited, so it should be an option again in the future. (I'll continue to encourage it as I think he will really enjoy RC flying.) Do you have a target date for the fix? Is there some way I can be notified when it's completed?

I'm glad to hear that! I hope we can still be a part of him getting into flying and experiencing success at it.

ETA: Next year.

We don't have a system for automatically notifying for this sort of thing. I will try to remember to send you a message of some kind through the forums that would trigger an email notification. The quickest & easiest way for you to check on your own would be to look at the "RealFlight News and Announcements" forum. It will have much less activity than the rest of the forums, making it easier to skim and see what's new without keeping up on all the other stuff that is not relevant to you at this time. Or, you could consider clicking the "Watch" button on that forum, which I think will send emails when new posts are made. That might be the best approach if you don't mind a little extra email. You can look at the history there and see you wouldn't be inundated with spam. :)

1669065693858.png

Back