Interlink Plus wire issues

PavelowIV

Hello,
A while ago I was using my Interlink playing Realflight. I don't know why or how but the wire leading from the top of the Interlink to the USB port is malfunctioning. If I turn and kink or twist the wire in a certain direction, the controller will disconnect. It did this so often I lost the ablility to play Realflight because the controller wouldn't stay connected for more than ten seconds:mad:. I've contacted tech support (really nice people, by the way:)) and the guy on the phone said to mail it to them and pay to get it fixed. Like I said before, this was a while ago, I had never gotten around to actually doing anything, and have now forgotten what specifically to do (what's needed and required) to send it to them. Is there an alternative to sending the Interlink in that's cheaper and less hassle? I'd REALLY appreciate any advice and if there is no other option I'd like a refresher on the details of shipping the item.
Thanks,
PavelowIV

I see this post is from Feb but I'll post my findings in case you haven't fixed your problem or someone else is searching.

The same thing happened to me. I had my wire rigged until it just wouldn't work anymore. I was told to send it in as well but never did. I stopped using the sim when my interlink stopped working. Now a few years later I pulled out the interlink and decided to have a crack at fixing it myself.

What's happening is a wire is breaking down in the cable and causing loss of or intermittent connection. the USB cable is 4 small wires surrounded by insulation and a fifth braided wire that I assume is the power wire. That braided wire is the problem.

I fixed my wire by cutting out the bad part of the wire, about 4 inches total including the node just outside the controller case. I stripped and re soldered all the wires back together, wrapped them with heat shrink and everything is great. The USB wires are small and delicate, they take a fine touch and patience but it's not difficult at all. All wires are a different color so that makes it easy to match everything back up. The braided wire gets soldered to a dark gray wire. I removed the insulation and gathered the braid on one side of the bundle and twisted it into a pigtail for easy soldering.

Thanks for the reply IH8VTEC. I haven't used the sim since the wire broke. I'm definitely going to have to try this. I miss Realflight a lot.:(

My cord got chewed by a pet, Real flight actually sent me a new cord and I soldered into the back of the controller. A whole lot easier then repairing the cable IMO. You figure if your cord is breaking down in one spot, then it might in another with time, better to replace totally.

Jason

Back