just purchased basic, couple of questions

neerdowell

Hi guys. I just purchased the Basic version yesterday and have played with it for a day. I am new to RC flying. I've used Microsoft Flight Simulator since my Apple ][ days back in 1981, and I enjoy that sim but have never mastered flying helicopters, I'm afraid. I was hoping I could finally do that with Basic here. But no luck so far. I've seen several sites that try to teach you how to fly a heli, but none have worked for me. Any recommendations?

The two toggle switches on the controller puzzle me. The left one seems to do "idle up 1" I think I read in a thread here. But the right one sometimes turns smoke off and on and sometimes controls gear up/down. What is the deal with that? If the AC has retractable gear, does the right switch control that, otherwise is controls smoke off/on? A manual would certainly help here. I realize there is none, however.

Some planes don't seem to respond to the throttle (the sound does but the planes don't move). And when you move the mouse for these planes, the view changes. What's up with that?

I understand that the different view options (like in Microsoft Flight Simulator) are not present in the Basic version, but it sure would have been nice if they would at least have included the cockpit view. I'd like to be able to actually land these planes on the runway, but without a view from the cockpit I've found that to be virtually impossible so far.

Anyway, a great little sim and I know I'll have some fun with it and it might actually lead to me taking up the real live hobby.

Don Shepherd
Louisville, KY

Well, the real life hobby really doesn't have a cockpit view. As far as the view changing when you move the mouse, that sounds like you have a hand launch airplane. Click the mouse to launch it. Flying helicopters takes alot of patience to figure out. Generally, the upper right switch kills the blades, and the upper left is the throttle hold (?) Generally for 3D flying. Yes, I think RFB should have come with a manual. Every version of RF I've owned has come with alot of information.

On a side note, are you familiar with Life Point Chrch in Louisville? I have a friend who goes there.

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I know the real life hobby doesn't have a cockpit view, but you as a human have a potential 360 degree view, or at least a 180 degree view with peripheral vision, and I think that would help in landing a RC aircraft. Not to mention that, in the real world, you don't have to stand in one place, you can walk around to improve your perspective. I have a feeling that if I had the version that does have a cockpit view, landing on the runway would be a whole lot easier (or, even, possible!), and since this version is designed for beginners who might like to land their plane on the runway, that would be a good feature to include. Not 10 other views, just the cockpit would suffice.

OK, so those are hand-launched planes where the view changes if you move the mouse. That's good to know. And the switches have different behavior depending on airplane/heli. That's good to know too. A brief manual that explains these things would be a welcome addition.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Life Point church in Louisville. I'm a member at a Presbyterian church but haven't attended in, it shames me to say, quite a while.

thanks for your help
Don Shepherd

neerdowell said:
I have a feeling that if I had the version that does have a cockpit view, landing on the runway would be a whole lot easier (or, even, possible!), and since this version is designed for beginners who might like to land their plane on the runway,
yes it probably would........but if you bought RF to learn the intricacies of RC flight
using and getting used to having cockpit view totally defeats the purpose......
you may as well just use FSX or some other sim.
make mental note of whats on the horizon when your lined up correctly (or incorrectly)
also look at your aircraft's shadow for clues of where you are

Thanks Norton and Maj. Numbskully!

Yes, I think I saw a link to the G4 manual yesterday and checked it out. Thanks.

Landing. As I play with the sim more I'm sure I will develop some skills in this regard. I think I'll work with the trainers (or the Piper Cub) first and try to get them to land on the runway, then I'll try the higher-performance ones.

thx guys

Well, I practiced with the FlyZone SkyFly 2 and flew the pattern, making left hand 90 degree turns, tried to estimate when to turn final, and it landed perfectly right in the middle of the runway! And I didn't need the cockpit view!!

thx all

Landing has become easier since I realized that you don't need the whole length of the runway to land. I'm used to the planes in Flight Simulator setting down on the end of the runway, but with the R/C planes it seems like you only need about maybe 20 feet of runway or so to land nicely.

Back