Katana Revisit

I have found the most predictable results come from adding a wing to reproduce a counterbalanced tip. I completely agree that just an approximate shape is necessary. Experimentation can be fun too I guess.

Is there something I've missed that explains this type of issue anywhere? You guys seem to know specific info about things that I haven't found yet.

No nothing I've read just noticing differences in the different component types. A wing allows for an airfoil at the root and tip. A fuselage detachable or movable components do not. Furthermore the fuselage detachable and movable components have an airfoil for the sides and an airfoil for the top and bottom. So airflow will be calculated for lift and drag on the sides and the top and bottom. A wing does not. The fuse when turned on its side in knife edge supplies some of the collective lift. I try to supply the fuse with an appropriate airfoil for the give shape. For instance the Ryan has a tall side profile relative to the skinny top profile. This means the fuse provides less lift in knife edge flight then when the fuse is upright. Using that information is how I advised you in my first post on this subject.

Quick question. In trying to find out some weight info on this model, the web site is in metric units I guess. I've tried to find a conversion chart, but I can't figure out the wing loading. The site shows a WL of 93,35g/dm2. I'm no math whiz, so any help is appreciated.

Uhm... google will convert that. Copy and paste this into your google search engine.
93.35 g/dm^2 to oz/ft^2

Yes and no. MOST of the time the top-bottom will only effect side-side aerodynamic calculations. The work around here could be done with COP modification to reproduce the overall effect.

BTW: Top Bottom and Fuse side calculations do seem to factor into what the editor reports for wing loading.

If a real RC plane reports 10oz/ft^2 wing loading and you have your simulated plane reporting the same, then it is likely that the loading is TOO high.

Usually the effects of the fuselage are not taken into effect with real world wing loading calculations but the sim does otherwise.

You can test this by modeling just a pair of wings w/o a fuse, check the wing loading in the editor, then add the fuselage. After doing so loading values will DROP.

This is soooo true. Never understood why KE does this but it is there. Pods will increase the area and throw off your loading as well.

Just to let you guys know, the idea of open c meshes doesn't work. When I first reported it did, I didn't notice my tail wheel sinking in the ground. After seeing that, I closed it up and it's back on top of the surface. Can't explain why the main wheels didn't sink, but the tail does.

Just to let you guys know, the idea of open c meshes doesn't work. When I first reported it did, I didn't notice my tail wheel sinking in the ground. After seeing that, I closed it up and it's back on top of the surface. Can't explain why the main wheels didn't sink, but the tail does.

Good to know. Thanks!

OK, off topic, but the "sinking" comment brings two questions to mind:

Are there models in the swaps with skis?
Are there APs with flyable snow areas?

Moving discussion of this model back to its original thread. I finally got her into RF after several hours of time consuming overlooks, tga rework, max file cleaning, and a few other things. All in all, I think she's going to live to see the swaps. I did lose the _s.tga, so that will have to be completely redone, and Ive got a mapping issue on the canopy. the model does look a little rougher in areas than I recall, or my eye for such things has gotten stronger, but I think Im going to leave it be in fear of doing more damage than good.

I gotta say, I love how the spinner came out.........on the first try.:p

You can also get some very interesting shots at a photo field when you unlock the camera.:D

Attachments

• ScreenShot1353723742.jpg
    ScreenShot1353723742.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 22
  • ScreenShot1353723776.jpg
    ScreenShot1353723776.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ScreenShot1353723830.jpg
    ScreenShot1353723830.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 24
Ok, Im no expert, but this doesn't seem right (other than I forgot to add the ~CANOPY material to the canopy).

Attachments

• ScreenShot006.jpg
    ScreenShot006.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 10
  • ScreenShot007.jpg
    ScreenShot007.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 16
Well looks better than those teal CS............;)

And as a RF beginner, how do you unlock the photofield camera?

Well looks better than those teal CS............;)

And as a RF beginner, how do you unlock the photofield camera?
You can edit the airport to do that, but it's ill-advised. You won't like the effect when you're flying around. It's only good for doing screenshots.

Courtesy of Boof69.

Attachments

• Render1.jpg
    Render1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Render2.jpg
    Render2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Render3.jpg
    Render3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Render4.jpg
    Render4.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 8
Getting started on the _s.tga. This model is a painted model, so let the clear coat shine.:D

Attachments

• ScreenShot1353882530.jpg
    ScreenShot1353882530.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ScreenShot1353882634.jpg
    ScreenShot1353882634.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 16
  • ScreenShot1353882704.jpg
    ScreenShot1353882704.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 19
Back