KEX import issues

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
I'm posting a new thread in an effort to tie together various different reports that I think are closely related. There are enough similarities that it is very easy to confuse the different issues. I think this will help clarify things.

Issue: I import a .kex successfully. When I select the model, it crashes after generating the DDS. When I restart the sim and select the model, it is an exact copy of the model upon which I chose to base the physics, from the appearance to the physics to the description.

Workaround: Restart the sim in between the import and DDS generation steps.

Notes: I don't see where anyone has reported this issue, but we have observed it in house. I'm not sure if RF7 is behaving differently from previous versions of RealFlight in this regard. We will need to investigate. (This is separate from the DDS generation crash itself, which is not a new issue.)

Issue: I import a .kex successfully, and the DDS generates successfully, but the sim crashes each time I attempt to select the model. Restarting the sim does not help. My choice of aircraft upon which to base the physics during the import step seems to affect whether or not this crash occurs.

Workaround:
1) If possible, choose to base the physics on an aircraft that is very similar to the one you created. If this works, it is the easiest solution. If it doesn't, try #2.
2) Exit the sim after import, before ever selecting the model. Manually edit the .rfvehicle file to remove all ~CS_... frame names. Leave those fields empty. So
FrameNameMaster=STRING:~CS_RW
becomes
FrameNameMaster=STRING:
Then start the sim and select the model.

Notes: I recently saw this issue, but we were doing something unusual at the time and I thought it was something users would not encounter. #1 above was not an option for me at that time, but I had success with #2. I just tried it again with a different model and it worked, so I suspect it will work for you guys as well until we can fix the problem. We will definitely address it, but we're beyond the point where a fix can make it into the current update slated for public release.

Issue: EAs I export from 7.00.024 cannot be imported in previous versions of RealFlight.

Workaround: None.

Notes: This is a result of the changes we made to support higher poly models. I can see why it would be confusing to get the same results even with .kex files exported with the older plugin, but this is actually expected behavior. RealFlight updates that file to the current version during the import process. I understand this particular consequence of the update is inconvenient, but unfortunately there is no way around it. That kind of backward compatibility was never really part of the design, anyway.

Issue: I import a .kex successfully. When I select the model, it crashes after generating the DDS. When I restart the sim and select the model, it is an exact copy of the model upon which I chose to base the physics, from the appearance to the physics to the description.

Workaround: Restart the sim in between the import and DDS generation steps.

Notes: I don't see where anyone has reported this issue, but we have observed it in house. I'm not sure if RF7 is behaving differently from previous versions of RealFlight in this regard. We will need to investigate. (This is separate from the DDS generation crash itself, which is not a new issue.)

This isnt working for me. Here is a kex file with basic 4 channel setup, that is uploaded to the swaps if you want to test it on your end. I know basing it on the Sbach would go against all reasoning, as they are in no way similar, but it shows models with more complex animations arent compatible and it will kick it every time. Now, base it on the extra 300l, and it works just fine on my end.

Basically, Im thinking that its catching parts that are mapped, and given ~CS_???? names, and when they dont match, it kicks it. I may just not understand something here, but that's what it seems like to me.

EDIT: BTW, this is happening using the new exporter.

Attachments

• tribute.tga.rfx
    269.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 7 test.KEX.rfx
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The sim crashes as soon as I try to select the model . The dds file never generates. What you describe in the first scenario (successful kex import but failed dds) is exactly what Im dealing with.

BUT, I depending on the complexity of the base model, I can get it to import. I just don't feel like I should have to match complexity of of a models setup vs. similarity in shape/form/size.

Interesting. We'll have to take a closer look at that. I haven't been able to try the models you uploaded, and likely won't have a chance today.

You definitely shouldn't have to factor that stuff in when choosing the physics basis. I'm just hoping livable workarounds can be found until we can fix it.

That's fine. I'm in no hurry. I just had the day off and was playing around with the new exporter and come across this. I'll typically delete all base info anyway and start over if I do the physics, but others might not.

Ryan, I know you've been out, but just wanted to give this one a bump. I tried last night to import some rfx files of my previous models that work just fine elsewhere but crash as soon as the model is highlighted.

Issue #2 should be fixed in the new public beta version 7.00.027. We're continuing to test that particular fix, but so far it looks good to us.

willsonman, I didn't try your files in the previous version, but I tested them in 7.00.027 and it worked for me. Please try for yourself and let us know your results.

It seems to me that at the time I posted the thread, a number of different issues were being reported in the main RF7 forum, and I wanted to address them there. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly. At any rate, I agree the issues being discussed are mostly of concern to designers. I moved the thread.

Also, I just noticed I mistakenly addressed willsonman instead of you, abaser, when talking about the files you uploaded in post #2. Sorry about that!

Back