Knife Edge - Real Flight Support Issues

Doug Scott

This all started with TERRIBLE NON EXISTANT SUPPORT FROM REAL FLIGHT.

They told me to contact Knife Edge - Knife Edge is scared to give out a phone number, so I have 199.00 invested in software and hardware that went obsolete in 6 months - ver 3.5 - no new updates, buggy as hell on internet connections and no phone number to call for software issues.

1. Why did you guys refuse to correct Internet connection problems in multi user mode?

A. Poor Firewall software compatability - Finding Public IP
B. Shows session is full - but no one is connected - 4 out of 4 busy
C. If you do get connected, you get dropped in 5 minutes or less remotely.

2. intentionaly make 4.0 not work with 3.5 controllers, force your customers to send you more money, go find new customers, stop screwing your customer base!

A. You intentionaly came out with a 4.0 - why didnt you get 3.5 right first?
B. You wrote into your software a means of keeping 3.5 controllers from working.

3. Vista support - Dont even get me started on that one!

Raise your hand and reply if you think these jokers are just out to get your money and dont care if thier product works correctly. Can anyone say class action lawsuite???

Doug Scott said:
This all started with TERRIBLE NON EXISTANT SUPPORT FROM REAL FLIGHT.

Strange since they do a great job.

Doug Scott said:
They told me to contact Knife Edge - Knife Edge is scared to give out a phone number, so I have 199.00 invested in software and hardware that went obsolete in 6 months - ver 3.5 - no new updates,

Eh, no, you were offered the opportunity to upgrade to 4.0 for a fee.

If you in turn submitted the rebate as indicated ( which you qualified for ) you would have received a heafty credit, and you could have sold your older version for more than the difference making the upgrade effectively "free".

Doug Scott said:
buggy as hell on internet connections

Nope, it's the internet connections that are buggy.

G3.5 does not work like gaming services that you may be used to.

Rather it's more akin to a local LAN connection over the internet.

Since most people do not know how to set things up properly, the remote side can cause what you percieve to be a problem, etc.

Doug Scott said:
and no phone number to call for software issues.

It's right in the manual!

Doug Scott said:
1. Why did you guys refuse to correct Internet connection problems in multi user mode?

I dunno, maybe because we don't work for KE, and this is a public forum.

Doug Scott said:
A. Poor Firewall software compatability - Finding Public IP
B. Shows session is full - but no one is connected - 4 out of 4 busy
C. If you do get connected, you get dropped in 5 minutes or less remotely.

Yup all configuration issues... basically this falls into the "that's your problem" not the software's camp...

Doug Scott said:
2. intentionaly make 4.0 not work with 3.5 controllers, force your customers to send you more money

, go find new customers, stop screwing your customer base!

Get REAL, you were offered a GENEROUS ( almost FREE ) upgrade... which is why you will NOT find a sympathetic ear here.

Doug Scott said:
A. You intentionaly came out with a 4.0 - why didnt you get 3.5 right first?

Why is the sky blue?

Why didn't Microsoft fix Windows 95 before coming out with XP?

Why are you ranting when you could have merely upgraded?

Doug Scott said:
B. You wrote into your software a means of keeping 3.5 controllers from working.

Yup, by design, least people such as you try to pirate G4!

Doug Scott said:
3. Vista support - Dont even get me started on that one!

No need to "get started" as it works just fine in Vista.

Doug Scott said:
Raise your hand and reply if you think these jokers are just out to get your money and dont care if thier product works correctly.

Businesses MUST make money, so any business is out to get "yours".

But since you were offered an extremely generous upgrade path, you simply don't have a leg to stand on here.

Doug Scott said:
Can anyone say class action lawsuite???

Can you say you haven't a clue????

Doug Scott said:
Can anyone say class action lawsuite???
Can you say

Attachments

• ban.gif
    ban.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 254
All of the Trolls jumped on this one pretty quick didn't they? :D

Um, Nemo, your link is for G4 issues he was asking about G3.5 - their is no support number for G3.5 here on KE.

opjose, he said that he doesn't want to upgrade to G4 and spend the extra money - so you tell him to spend the money. Where's the logic there. And, by the way, how many times have you told people that there's nothing wrong with G3.5, that it's a very usable piece of software, etc, etc ...? So, why should he upgrade ... oh that's right because KE has dropped support for that version in an effort to force customers into buying G4. Or is that not a fair statement either?

Josh, it seems like the first thing out of you keyboard whenever you don't like what someone has said is = "ban". All I can say is that I hope you don't show that same attitude when someone asks you what they should do about an abusive mother, father or homelife on that website where you're one of the moderators. :eek:

I once read a book about old hollywood. In it there was a PR man who worked directly for one of the big studios. His job was to make sure that all of the customers were satisfied. Sounds like a big job. The truth of the matter is that it wasn't. All he had to do was to satisfy a few malcontents - like Doug here. He would point Doug in the right direction to get him the answers that he needed, and even give him a little insentive if he became too loud. You see back then they understood that a couple of dollars spent to satisfy the complainers would increase sales 10 fold.

KnifeEdge and RealFlight seem to follow the oposite train of thought. They (for the most part) refuse to get involved in any kind of customer service, have no public relations, keep what they're doing secret and use that secrecy as an excuse to avoid answering questions ... instead they let peole like opjose, josh and other insulting members of this forum represent KnifeEdge to the general public. Seems a little strange to me , but then I'm used to dealing with succesfull businesses - not to say the KE and RF haven't been succesfull in the past or even today. :eek:

Law said:
instead they let peole like opjose, josh and other insulting members of this forum represent KnifeEdge to the general public.
Don't forget, we all stopped the flaming, yet you still go around flaming. You should be on that list more than anyone. ;)

I AM SICK OF YOUR BS

josh0987 said:
Don't forget, we all stopped the flaming, yet you still go around flaming. You should be on that list more than anyone. ;)

I AM SICK OF YOUR BS

A flame is usually an incoherent set of words that mock others with foul language. What Law said, that's what we call a statement. I don't 100% agree with him, but I respect his opinion, as well as everyone else on the board. The type of responses that you have are the ones that lead to arguments and useless fights. Let's keep it constructive.

Zelatio said:
A flame is usually an incoherent set of words that mock others with foul language. What Law said, that's what we call a statement. I don't 100% agree with him, but I respect his opinion, as well as everyone else on the board. The type of responses that you have are the ones that lead to arguments and useless fights. Let's keep it constructive.
Called me insulting... Ironically... He is the one that keeps on saying unneeded comments towards others.

And I'd just like to add that the ban comment I made was sarcasm.

He can make his statements and I'll make mine.

Last edited:
Law said:
their is no support number for G3.5 here on KE.

Tech support for RealFlight is tech support for RealFlight. The contact info is the same.

Law said:
So, why should he upgrade ... oh that's right because KE has dropped support for that version in an effort to force customers into buying G4. Or is that not a fair statement either?

Not really, no. RealFlight G3.5 is still supported (see above). If by "support", you actually mean "continued updates", then you're just speculating and presenting it as fact.

Law said:
... refuse to get involved in any kind of customer service ...

It's not at all that we refuse. It's that our responsibilities are to develop the software. Tech support's responsibilities are to provide tech support.

Analogy: Need surgery? Go to the hospital. A receptionist will schedule an appointment for you, and the surgeon will perform the operation.

Law said:
... have no public relations ...

Please pay more attention.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=19437
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=20265
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=18366
This site...
Our presence on other sites...
etc...

Law said:
... they let peole like opjose, josh and other insulting members of this forum represent KnifeEdge to the general public.

By that logic, you represent Knife Edge to the general public as well!
More accurately, opjose, josh0987 and you all represent yourselves, RealFlight owners.

Law, why do you continue to insist that KE provides (or should provide) tech support for RF? That is, and has ALWAYS been, GP's responsibility. To continue along the lines of Adam's analogy, just because an engineer designed the laser instrument to perform surgery, does not mean he is the best person to perform the surgery. Different groups have different responsibilities.

Law said:
opjose, he said that he doesn't want to upgrade to G4 and spend the extra money - so you tell him to spend the money. Where's the logic there. And, by the way, how many times have you told people that there's nothing wrong with G3.5, that it's a very usable piece of software, etc, etc ...? So, why should he upgrade ... oh that's right because KE has dropped support for that version in an effort to force customers into buying G4. Or is that not a fair statement either?

If you read what Adam wrote you, he's reaffirmed what I've told you in the past.

The OP can elect to upgrade or not.

He was whining about having purchased G3.5 and he now wants G4, but is complaining about the ( practically non-existent ) upgrade cost.

He can continue to use G3.5 if he wants to, that's his call...

He can also upgrade, that is also his call.

But to whine about it, and for you to reaffirm his whining is rather silly.

Either do it, or don't period.

He'll get no sympathy for the whining from me.

If YOU do not like this, that's YOUR problem.

That you seem to find this "insulting", is quite laughable, considering the tone of the majority of your posts. I guess you really do not see how you come off.... but if it pleases you to do so, as you've said it does, well so be it...

But don't compound things by trying to label others, with terms that are really most applicable to yourself.... it's trite and unbecoming of someone who aspires to present themselves as "intelligent"... not that you've ever succeeded at this.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
Law, why do you continue to insist that KE provides (or should provide) tech support for RF? That is, and has ALWAYS been, GP's responsibility. To continue along the lines of Adam's analogy, just because an engineer designed the laser instrument to perform surgery, does not mean he is the best person to perform the surgery. Different groups have different responsibilities.

Jeff, according to his post he was asked by RealFlight to contact KnifeEdge. KnifeEdge has no Support number for G3.5 so he posted here. Sometimes when the surgeon doesn't know how to operate that lazer instrument he has to call in a represntative from the company that made it.

Adam;
"Public Relations is a set of management, supervisory, and technical functions that foster an organization's ability to strategically listen to, appreciate, and respond to those persons whose mutually beneficial relationships with the organization are necessary if it is to achieve its missions and values." (Robert L. Heath, Encyclopedia of Public Relations). Essentially it is a management function that focuses on two-way communication and fostering of mutually beneficial relationships between an organization and its publics.

Representing RealFlight and KinfeEdge at public forums is only a small part of a Public Relations function. Taking your analogy that everyone who posts to these forums represents KnifeEdge to the general public - then Doug Scott would be a representative of KnifeEdge. A rather disgruntled representative at that. And people like opjose who take him to task, who refuse to help him and who ridicule him are also representatives of KnifeEdge.

All of the people who post on these forums become your public relations representatives. I cannot understand why a company would want to be represented by the general public. By people who use their product. Because not everyone who uses that product will be happy with it. And by allowing other people who are rude and condescending to only add fuel to that fire does nothing to change the poor image of that company that was presented by someone not happy with their product.

KnifeEdge has not upgraded, or supported G3.5 in any way other then tech support for almost 8 months. Yes, it is my “speculation” that KnifeEdge and RealFlight have stopped any future “upgrades” for that program. It’s a common understanding on these forums and has been for several months. It was “reinforced” with the release of Expansion Pack 5. That does not diminish the fact that it is a very viable product. One that supports all of the Add-ons as well as 4 Expansion Packs. But, has any KE Representative bolstered that position? Has any KE admin come to the defense of G3.5 and or shown any support for the product in the past 7 months? Has KE ever disputed the “speculation” that G3.5 is no longer being supported by upgrades?

The “support” number listed in the forums specifically says : RealFlight G4 - Free support available 217-398-8970. I simply based my comment on the information that was available. If you’ll read his (Doug Scott) post you’ll see that he was given “terrible” support from RealFlight and was told to contact KnifeEdge. Yet, apparently he had no number to contact them, so he posted his questions here where he was told by one of your KnifeEdge “representatives”; “... maybe because we don’t work for KE ...” Then when a KnifeEdge admin does decide to respond he takes the position that it’s a tech support issue - but he was asked by tech support to ask you? I’m sorry, but from where I’m sitting that sure sounds like a refusal to respond?

Sometimes before the surgeon does the surgery he asks the patient to get another opinion. What's the patient to do when the person asked for that second opinion refuses to give one?

I'm pretty sure the support line goes for all versions of RealFlight.

Technical Support Contact:

Support Website: Great Planes Product/Technical Support Site
Telephone Contact: 217-398-8970 (Option 1) (Available Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM CST.)
Email Support: rfsupport@greatplanes.com
Mail:
Software Support
3002 North Apollo Drive
Suite #1
Champaign, IL 61822

Does anyone find it ironic that the last log-in for Doug Scott was at the time of his first (and only) post on KE? He hasn't been back to check on the feedback he asked for.

It's quite possible he was needed an outlet to vent. It's also quite possible (not guaranteed) he could be an impossible customer to satisfy? Being in business myself, you do run across them from time to time. No matter what you do to resolve one issue...they always find another to start on? I'm not saying that's the case here....but if he was really interested in solving his problems, he would have stopped back after making his only post.

Back