L:\kelib2a\DirectX\DXDirectSound.cpp ??

claydog72

I installed G2 on Vista and when I try to run it I get this error:

L:\kelib2a\DirectX\DXDirectSound.cpp

Sounds like a sound driver, but I call Great Planes and they say G2 is not
compatible on Vista, which is bulls**t because there's alot of people on here
getting to work. Does anyone out there know the fix for this error
THANKS !!

I think Great Planes meant that it is not supported on Vista. It may still be possible to get it to work.

Take a look at the page we put together about Vista + RealFlight compatibility here: http://knifeedge.com/rfg3_vista_compatibility.php
It covers RealFlight G3.5, but you may be able to get G2 to work on Vista by following the same steps.

It is possible that the error message you're getting has nothing to do with the fact you're running it on Vista, however.

The audio stack in Vista has been completely re-written. It's one of the reasons I don't want to "upgrade"; Microsoft screwed a lot of hardware manufacturers (and a lot of consumers) when they built their new audio stack - which doesn't have a Legacy fallback mode.

As new versions of Windows come in, I've see compatibility for old software versions fall away. This may be another case of needing to upgrade your application to go with your new OS. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying you should have to do this, but one of the decisions you make when making the jump to Vista is deciding whether to potentially abandon any piece of software more than a couple of years old.

Had Same problem in Vista, found this solution: For the same error, different game

Which didn't work because I couldn't figure out how to disable the Mic Detection (that is causing the error).

I Plugged my headphones into the Mic port on the front of the computer and the game started fine... Hurray! (unplugged them after the game started and it kept running so it's just a start up thing)

Apparently Vista Enumerates the front port Mic as an audio device but then disables it if it's not in use, during startup RealFlight G2 tries to initialize all the audio controllers and when it gets to the Mic and it's not there it crashes.

Step By Step For Ya!

I've done it! My dad got this at a yard sale, and the second I remembered that his computer is a Vista (yuck!) I knew it would be a Ubuntu/Wine headache. Five installs, one crushed ego, and three hours later I got it (after a lengthy google search).

1.) Turn off the User Account Control and restart your Vista machine.
(start menu/control panel/user accounts turn off UAC)

2.) Set Up the Windows Compatibility Wizard and have it run using your CD-Rom Drive as your location.
(start menu/control panel/programs "Use an older program with this version of windows")

3.) Now I had to do this, I don't know if you all will too so I'm adding this bit. Sometimes the DirectX install at the end of the game install doesn't work properly. Here's how I did it. Locate your DirectX folder on the CD-Rom.
(mine is E:/DirectX/DXSetup)
Right Click that and check properties to make sure Vista's wizard did it's job and that you're running in compatability mode for Windows XP SP2. Okay, now run that application (DXSetup). It should work.

4.) Okay, now you finally get to actually install RealFlight G2! Follow the on screen prompts until you're ready to go.

5.) Lastly... stop. Plug in a headphone in your headphone jack BEFORE you click the games icon (just like everyone's been saying). Now click your icon and let the game load. This should have worked. If not... bang head in frustration and start from scratch (google searching and angry cursing).

The game runs great on a Vista Machine after that. But before you get super excited and download all five addons, like I did, MAKE SURE they are in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP SP2 as well. Just like the install disc you need to follow that similar process.

I hope this worked guys, keep flying! :cool:

DL the ADD -Ons??....I thought G2 G3 and G3.5 users still had to purchase them???
and that the free Downloadable add-ons were only for G4.+ users??? :confused:

Back