laptop advise

You will be disappointed with the performance of Realflight on that laptop.

To a computer, Realflight is a pretty demanding game and must be treated as such when purchasing a computer to run the program. You cannot skimp on the video card when you are looking for decent frame rates which is kinda important in a program such as Realflight. Ideally you need to be looking at Gaming laptops with a dedicated video card to run Realflight with good frame rates.

I'm using an Intel core 2 duo laptop, 2.0ghz, 3gb memory (a dinosaur). With RF 7.0 it worked fine on the photofield airports, but it wouldn't handle any of the 3D airports. I was okay with that at the time. However, upon updating to RF7.5 my computer seems to have a problem running RF at all. Now I find myself restricted to color scheming and learning about designing models for RF while dreaming of the day I can afford to upgrade to a computer like the one csgill75 mentioned. Long story short, if you expect even very modest resolution with RF on a laptop, you will most likely eventually be very disappointed.

Besides the fact that dollar for dollar you get a lot more machine in a desktop than a lap top anyhow

unless you have other needs for a laptop like school or work
I'd put my money into a desktop

I also believe its still true that its less expensive to upgrade a desk top as well...at least it used to be

I agree with the Maj's comment.

If you want to purchase an inexpensive machine, get a desktop system.
You are not paying for miniturization and battery life on those so you get the most bang for the buck.

That said, newer laptops with at least an Intel Integrated 4600-5000 processor or above and 8-16 gigs of RAM and an iCore5 or 7 processor do pretty well with Realflight 7.5.

So much so that on mine I often use the Integrated processor and I disable my Nvidia GPU when running Realflight ( gasp! ).

So a laptop in the $800 range will do the job... A bit more and you move to SSD drives which make Realflight and other tasks really scream.

Stay away from the older Quad cores or anything already past it's prime.

Last edited:
Besides the fact that dollar for dollar you get a lot more machine in a desktop than a lap top anyhow

unless you have other needs for a laptop like school or work
I'd put my money into a desktop

I also believe its still true that its less expensive to upgrade a desk top as well...at least it used to be

Gotta agree. I've been building my own computers ever since I worked for Compaq way back in the day, before they were fortune 500. Unless you need a laptop a desktop is the way to go for anything that requires computer or graphics power. At least in my opinion.

Gotta agree. I've been building my own computers ever since I worked for Compaq way back in the day, before they were fortune 500. Unless you need a laptop a desktop is the way to go for anything that requires computer or graphics power. At least in my opinion.

Yeah, even if you take a relatively low end Desktop unit, then drop a $160.00 graphics card in it. You end up with a rip snorting 3D beast, that runs rings around what you would buy a few years ago at quadruple the price.

These young wipper-snappers missed the days of 30% failure rates on Asian PC motherboards and other such fun things. :D

Heh, Apple ][ floppy drives cost more than most modern desktop systems.

Heh, Apple ][ floppy drives cost more than most modern desktop systems.

Not for me, when I worked at Apple, beginning in the Apple II and through the Apple III, and Lisa and Macintosh, they gave us a free computer after 30 days if you could demonstrate you could use it. So free Apples for everyone.

I hate to admit it but to keep the wife happy I use a laptop so I can use it while sitting on the couch while she watches tv. I had an older asus that had a dedicated video card that just bit the dust a couple of weeks ago. So the search for a new computer. I dont use realflight alot but want to make sure that I can when I want to. Still using version 6.5 what do you guys think of the intel processor vs an amd? A friend of mine recommended the amd for gaming.
thanks for the advise
jeff

Last edited:
I hate to admit it but to keep the wife happy I use a laptop so I can use it while sitting on the couch while she watches tv. I had an older asus that had a dedicated video card that just bit the dust a couple of weeks ago. So the search for a new computer. I dont use realflight alot but want to make sure that I can when I want to. Still using version 6.5 what do you guys think of the intel processor vs an amd? A friend of mine recommended the amd for gaming.
thanks for the advise
jeff

AMD used to be better for gaming but from what I understand when Intel released the Core 2 processor, way back now, that changed things and now Intel has the best overall processor. I really can't help with laptops, sorry. But I suppose I'd look for one that's suppose to be good for gaming, not the typical low cost laptop. One that has an NVIDIA add in graphics card too. But I imagine that will raise the cost and heat output, and lower the battery life. Of course when you're not gaming their shouldn't be much difference with the latest add-in graphics cards for laptops.

Looks like he took the advise and got a nice i7 laptop system for around $700 or so, with an Nvidia GPU too!

Back