learning helicopters, G3 or 3.5?

trillian

OK, between G3 and 3.5 is one currently more realistic than the other for helicopters? I'm talking about general flight characteristics being as close as possible to the real thing. (I am running everything in the highest settings except helicopter physics which is on 'high' due to jerky motion when in 'highest').

Thanks,
Sheryl

3.5 is good for Heli's from my view. Not sure about any others. I would increase that High back to Very High or Max or whatever it is, and then turn down some graphics so you can get a good framerate.

G3 is more Close to realistic

Helicopters have Primary Secondary and Tersery Effects.

Some Secondary Effects are removed In G3.5

However You will benifit to near no end with Either.

Right skid low is one Effect that is Omited from G3.5 was in G3(I Think Or was that G2) Will revert back myself later after i have finished Combing G3.5 and Submiting Alll I could find and will not go to it untill all have been resolved.

See my list here

Orientation is one thing that gets you. so use Either.

G3.5 is like finding out your wife is a Man Or a Robot or something.

What other second order effects have been removed?

BTW: The "right skid low" is something I've been gripping about for some time.

As well as and related to: Send the heli into medium speed forward flight...

It ROLLS left as speed picks up!!!

But the blades rotate clockwise as seen from above.

Someone doesn't fly real helis who was involved in this.

The left blade generates more lift, and even with the flap angle most helis should roll slightly RIGHT not left.

Yeah, for learning, either version is good. The heli changes seem minor and didn't effect the realism very much.

opjose said:
Send the heli into medium speed forward flight...

The left blade generates more lift, and even with the flap angle most helis should roll slightly RIGHT not left.

Yeah, This was something I noticed early on but I don't remember if it was the same in G3.

trillian said:
Yeah, This was something I noticed early on but I don't remember if it was the same in G3.
Rolls left... hmm, well, I tried this, and there is a tiny bit of left roll, but I notice that the closest I can get to a stable trim has a tiny bit of left roll also. I don't think this is worse in G3.5. Or at least not unrealistic for heli flight and trim setup.

Cobra said:
Rolls left... hmm, well, I tried this, and there is a tiny bit of left roll, but I notice that the closest I can get to a stable trim has a tiny bit of left roll also. I don't think this is worse in G3.5. Or at least not unrealistic for heli flight and trim setup.
missed this post...

it is unrealistic.

Else please Explain what you were talking about.. I mgh not understand the trim part you mentioned.

We were mentioning
Retreating blade stall. IE blade moveing back from the flow has lower relative airflow (AoA) and can stall. causing a dip on that side.
Opposit effect on other side. IE forward moveing blade has a higher relative airflow (AoA) and there for a rise on that side. But this will not occour on that side. it will actualy result in a disk tilt up at near 90 deg after. Flap back.

aparently only present in the mid range of flighton some heli

Higher RRPM will increase the speed max (Before stall) and the mid range speed Where maximum will have moved to a higher speed range..

Real helicopters will hang one skid low. (depending on rotational direction of blades, combin

OP re my thought on other secondary and tersery effects
I was thinking Transitional lift. However I have not actualy tested yet.

Not going to touch flap angle causing coriolis. (Dificult to model and test)
Nor will i touch delta ofset. though, i think i get a wiff of this in some heli on the sim.

Transitional lift being out of whack is what I've associated with the rather dramatic pitch up at fast forward travel speeds.

In G3, the smaller helis tend to pitch up A LOT at relatively slow forward travel rates.

What other second order effects have been removed?

BTW: The "right skid low" is something I've been gripping about for some time.

As well as and related to: Send the heli into medium speed forward flight...

Coming back to this old thread because this topic was just discussed...

From the ETL explanation page...

" Pilots must correct for this tendency in order to maintain a constant rotor disk attitude that will move the helicopter through the speed range where blowback occurs. If the nose is permitted to pitch up while passing through this speed range, the aircraft may also tend to roll to the right. "

As I said all along, the ROLL is in the WRONG direction...

Back