Learning the skill ????

jonj

1. Is there a 'recommended' plane or several planes best to train on? AeroScout? Apprentice? Etc.?

2, Is there a syllabus of steps to take to learn these flying skills? I. E, Mastering aileron turns, figure 8s, anding pattern, etc., etc.? In other words, what is the best sequence of things to learn and what are those things?

RealFlight has a series of training lessons built-in; choose "Take a lesson" from the menu that pops up when the program first starts.

Something I'd point out in general is that flying in Beginner Mode on one of the Horizon Hobby trainers is quite different from how it works in Intermediate or Experienced Mode.

Beginner Mode adds SAFE self-level. If you let the aileron/elevator stick return to center, the plane levels off. To turn or hold a particular bank angle, you have to hold the stick the whole time you want to hold that angle.

In contrast, you don't keep holding the stick to turn when flying "normally" without self-level. Without self-level, letting the aileron/elevator stick return to center will center the servo and the control surface, which will hold the plane's current attitude. You don't give the plane nearly as much stick input to turn, and you certainly don't hold the stick in order to keep turning. The Intermediate Mode uses SAFE envelope mode, which gives you normal control over the plane until you exceed the programmed bank angle limit for pitch or roll. When you hit the limit, SAFE self-level jumps in and keeps you from going any farther past the limit, and holds at the limit until you correct by moving the stick to pitch or roll the plane away from the limit. Experienced Mode has no SAFE features at all, so it will become inverted if you tell it to (or let it).

Beginner Mode can help you avoid crashing from "dumb thumbs", which is slow reaction or maybe incorrect reaction to what the plane is doing. If you really want to experience the hobby in full, you'll want to work on graduating from Beginner Mode up to Experienced Mode.

I won't go so far as to say that flying in Beginner Mode is "wrong", because I don't believe that it is. Whatever works for you to enjoy the hobby is the right thing for you to do. I spend a lot of flying time with SAFE self-level turned on, especially if I'm anywhere near the ground on takeoff or landing. Still, I'd encourage you to keep practicing until you're comfortable with Experienced Mode.

SAFE self-level or Beginner Mode taught me a couple of bad habits, but it also taught me one good one. Because of the bank angle limits, it takes a lot longer to turn the plane in Beginner Mode if you only use ailerons to turn. Instead, the plane will turn much faster if you add some rudder along with the ailerons. Then you don't have have to roll as far in order to turn faster. That's the good habit I picked up. One bad habit is that Horizon programs in a Throttle-to-Pitch mix in Beginner Mode in order to make it easier for beginners to control the pitch of the plane through just the throttle stick. Of course, you want to learn how to manage the elevator properly. When I moved to Intermediate Mode, I found that I was using too much throttle all the time to pitch the nose up a little bit, and my battery didn't last as long as it did in Beginner Mode! The other bad habit is what's called "crank and yank", where you end up putting the elevator/aileron stick in a corner to get as much roll and as much up elevator as possible in order to turn faster. SAFE can't totally prevent you from crashing, and "crank and yank" doesn't work if you don't have enough airspeed! I crashed a plane that way, trying to turn too sharply like that right after takeoff before I had enough forward speed. The wing stalled (it lost lift), dropped, and then the plane came right down. That good habit I mentioned with a combination of rudder and aileron is the way to avoid this.

Last edited:
I teach at my local club every week. Most instructors there favor the Apprentice as a first plane (the club supplies them to the instructors!) I'm old fashioned and use an old glow power trainer. SAFE and Intermediate are helpful if you are on your own, but as flightengr noted, make the controls behave a bit differently. On a buddy box, we always fly in Experienced mode, even from the start. In that mode, the Apprentice is a bit better than older trainers - once you have moved the aileron a bit to bank the wings, one can center it to maintain that angle of bank. Older trainers (like mine) require one to still maintain a slight bit of pressure on the aileron to maintain the bank (primarily due to the greater dihedral of the wing, which makes the plane want to level itself), that can take a bit more learning to find the correct amount of control to bank, and then the amount to hold the bank. After the bank is established, THEN one pulls back on elevator to maintain altitude. So two steps - bank, then yank as needed to maintain level! Common for a beginner to do both at the same time, which may result in a zoom up as the plane also rolls - which gets really confusing for a new flier to correct. SAFE and Intermediate help to prevent going to far with all that, but can lead to allowing one to learn using overcontrol, but not know it, until they go to Experienced mode where they then end up all over the place.

1. ALWAYS maintain hands on the sticks! For most, that is thumbs, but some use a variation of a thumb/first finger "pinch" of the stick. Pick a way to hold the sticks and move them, and stay with it.
2. NEVER release the sticks to allow them to return to center. Move it back, not snap it back.
3. SMALL, gentle movements. The more you move them, the faster everything happens, so think small and therefore slow.

RealFlight is great, because you can dial down the physics speed, and practice in slow motion, then bring it back up to full speed once you've gotten a bit familiar.

We first work on right and left turns. Setting the bank angle, and using elevator to stop the drop.
After being able to do fairly consistent level turns in both directions, I introduce an aerobatic maneuver - the Procedure Turn.
From straight and level, flying left to right (or right to left) when plane gets directly in front of you, do a sharp 90 turn away, and level out.​
As soon as level go into an opposite turn (if you turned left for the 90, go into a right turn - and vice versa).​
Keep turning until the plane is flying in the opposite right/left direction from which you started, and level out.​
The goal is to have the turn be round, no change in altitude, and you end up on exactly the same path back that you started out on.​
This introduces how to rapidly change from a turn in one direction, to that in another.

Then we do the same, but continue the first turn until the plane is again flying straight out away from you, and then change to an opposite turn. So if your circle was first to the left, after it flies straight out from you, change to a right circle. End at level when the plane is again back on the established right/left line you started on. A figure 8, that starts with the 90 degree turn away.

Somewhere in here, I introduce loops. Easy, fun, and allow a break from the repetition of the learning how to turn.
Don't do full rolls yet. Harder to do on a trainer, although the Apprentice can do them pretty well.

Hard to do in Real Flight, but we then start working on the traffic pattern. Fly straight over the runway. When out past the end a ways, do a 90 turn away and level out. Fly a bit, then do another 90 so you are flying back parallel to the runway, out at a distance. When well past the end, do another 90 and level to establish your "base" leg. Then do a final 90 lined up with the projected runway centerline, but maintain altitude. We do this many, many times. Here's where I introduce rudder control, to practice keeping the straight direction, but not allowing the wings to bank.
This is also where the perceived control reversal as it flies at you is most apparent. Finally, we start practicing reduction of the throttle on final, and letting the plane lose altitude. Then power up to go back to the original height. Eventually, we get to where we actually land, with the slight pull up just as the wheels are about to touch.

One does not have the wide view of the world one has in real life, so it can be hard to establish that traffic pattern in Real Flight. Concentrate on the four 90's, and don't worry too much about actually making the runway. Never, ever try to line up a landing by making a big half circle turn - do only the two final 90's. Judging the exact turn radius needed to end up on your final landing line is extremely difficult.

Oops - forgot about takeoffs! In real life, after several attempts at flying the landing pattern at altitude, I'll have the student first practice taxiing around on the ground, using the rudder for steering. Then we'll do it for real - always full throttle. Just a slight bit of up. Rudder (usually right) to keep it straight, and hold the rudder as it climbs after the takeoff, easing off as it comes up to speed. The actual point I introduce it depends on how well the student is mastering the figure 8's, and tighter turns. I want to see him being able to correct an error most of the time - ie overbank and then bring it back to the correct bank angle, able to "save" it when it is in a hard bank and diving (a lot of the time, but maybe not every time), etc. Near the ground and trusting the student is the most difficult time for the instructor - not enough reaction time to take over the controls and save the plane....

Oops - forgot about takeoffs! In real life, after several attempts at flying the landing pattern at altitude, I'll have the student first practice taxiing around on the ground, using the rudder for steering. Then we'll do it for real - always full throttle. Just a slight bit of up. Rudder (usually right) to keep it straight, and hold the rudder as it climbs after the takeoff, easing off as it comes up to speed. The actual point I introduce it depends on how well the student is mastering the figure 8's, and tighter turns. I want to see him being able to correct an error most of the time - ie overbank and then bring it back to the correct bank angle, able to "save" it when it is in a hard bank and diving (a lot of the time, but maybe not every time), etc. Near the ground and trusting the student is the most difficult time for the instructor - not enough reaction time to take over the controls and save the plane....

Flapper, great response. I am doing a lot of RealFlight flying with the Apprentice in "AS3X Experienced" mode.... takeoffs, landings, loops, and rolls, but I will add your approach to add more discipline to my learning. I need to use more rudder but, it seems, I only have a 3-channel brain at times. LOL!
Question: How well does the RealFlight Apprentice mirror the actual flight characteristics of flying the Apprentice?

I am surprised at how the plane sinks quite a bit during an aileron turn. Is this normal with the Apprentice? Maybe your rudder suggestion can help by shallowing my turns and applying the rudder to kick it over a bit.
Again, thanks for your help!
All the best!

Well, it was flightengr that mentioned adding rudder. Still a great tip.

I just fired it up to verify, and yes it flies very close to the real thing.

That sink in a turn is very normal for all planes. Think of a rod stuck into the plane, pointing straight up. That is the lift vector. In a turn the rod (the lift vector) will be pointing sideways to some degree, depending on how much you bank the plane. That's what pulls it around in the turn. But, you've also redirected the lift from straight up - there is not enough to counter gravity. So it sinks. Applying elevator increases the angle of attack of the wing (the wing angels more relative to the airflow), which makes more lift. The right amount stops the fall. A side effect is that part of the additional lift also goes into making it turn, so the turn gets tighter. At gentle angels of bank, most goes to supporting the plane, so the additional turn increase may not be very noticeable. As bank steepens, more and more goes to tightening the turn. In a pure knife edge position (ignoring wing dihedral effects) pulling elevator makes the turn very tight, but the plane still drops because all the lift is going sideways. In knife edge (wing straight up and down from the ground), one has to use rudder to change the angle of the fuselage relative to the airflow over the plane, which while being a poor producer of lift, does make some, and all directly up - so the plane can be made to stay level even though the wings are doing nothing to keep it up.
Some aerobatic airplanes are carefully designed with those effects in mind, so they may not drop as much as the Apprentice. But they do all drop in a turn.
Full scale pilots also recognize strongly that increased speed generates more lift, so they apply more throttle, too, along with balancing the elevator amount. We tend to fly around without much throttle management for these kinds of things, so depend mostly on the elevator effects.

Back