Level flight

sk8nerd81

Ok, got a thought here that I think I know the answer but I'd like to put it out there.

Am I expecting to much for the plane to fly straight, level and true?

I'm flying in Realflight with no software mixing, DX6 doing the mixing, the Monitoring view saying everything is at zero like it should be, got the throttle at about ¾ stick (a good average for basic flight), it should only be AS3X, Basically everything seems like it should be true.
While I'm flying whatever plane I have to hold the elevator just a little back/up. My logic tells me the plane should stay on a level flight path but if I let go of the sticks it starts to pitch forward/down. I understand life and the world isn't perfect but it's a simulation everything should be prefect right?

Likely your controller setup isn't perfect. Do a calibration. Found under "Simulation", "Select Controller".

Actually, your expectations are a bit off from where they reasonably should be. There are extremely few planes that fly straight and level at a user selected throttle setting. Many don't fly straight and level at any throttle setting. That's part of the reason that trim exists.

The aerodynamics of flight are extremely complex, with the engine thrust, spiral airflow, overall center of gravity, center of lift, shifting of weight as the gas tank empties, and about 50 other factors all play a role. That said, roll should be very close to no roll with your hands off the sticks. Yaw should likewise be very close to straight. Pitch, which you specifically mention is extremely variable between planes, setups, and pilot preferences. Most planes are set up to be slightly nose heavy, because that creates a more stable and controllable aircraft. Some will become more neutral as the tank empties, others will not, it depends on the design and setup. You can always fiddle with a plane's setup in the editor. There is lots of information here and people that will help.

Finally, each plane has a throttle setting that is closest to straight and level with no pilot input. You have to locate that setting, not expect the plane to fly as you want at the throttle position you prefer to think best. That or edit the model to make things more to your preference to the extent possible.

Welcome! I look forward to your future posts!

Am I expecting to much for the plane to fly straight, level, and true?
I'm flying in Realflight with no software mixing, DX6 doing the mixing, the Monitoring view saying everything is at zero like it should be, got the throttle at about ¾ stick (a good average for basic flight), it should only be AS3X, Basically everything seems like it should be true.
If you are using the AS3X gyro system properly, and it is set up properly, the plane should fly level as long as there is enough thrust from the motor/engine to hold flight below that, it will descend. That is the whole idea of gyros. You do not mention the aircraft, or how you operate the AS3X so I cannot confirm your question.

Back