Linux and/or WINE

I would buy a RF7 with a wrapper. Even better if they would officially support Wine/playonlinux. Should not be a big deal at all, I guess much less work than for a wrapper.
For now I'm heavily bored to boot Windows only for a quick RF4 flight...

Well Mike, you are cutting yourself off from a great source of information. I would consider Jose to be one of the better IT people around after reading a lot that he has written over the last 10 years that I have been using RF. He is pretty direct and not always friendly sounding, but he will give you an honest open and correct reply to tech questions. He may have 13K posts, but I would bet 12K of them are on-target, correct help for the poster.

Just because Knife Edge does not offer the product you want on the OS you prefer does not make them wrong. It is tough enough writing and supporting a "game" with all the theft out there that another OS to support does not interest them. If you want an RC sim for your OS, why don't you write one?

Bye Bye

Last edited:
I have RF4 since I bought a Great Planes Pitts S2S. I also have a Hangar 9 P-51 and both are in RF.
The Pitts seller back then pointed me to the training possibility, else I would not have bothered a Sim supporting Windows only.
So without my Pitts I would, if at all, use probably :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/
or
http://modelsimulator.com/
etc.
I haven't looked yet at those again because of my Pitts.

From the RF perspective supporting Steamboxes might turn out well. Probably not a big business, but some more customers. I would be surprised if the Steamboxes would not catch up to other consoles in the next 5 years or so.
Jose points are often superfluous, probably he doesn't use/like Linux.

While I speak only for myself as a programmer, I am most familiar with windoz but I recognize each and every OS has it's strengths and weaknesses. I don't dislike any of them. I only wish that I had the time to be familiar with all of them. I made decisions to follow one path, right or wrong, it is what I choose a long time ago. I certainly don't participate in OS war of words. They are all beautiful to me.

Changing paths is no small decision.

Jose points are often superfluous, probably he doesn't use/like Linux.

Quite the opposite. I use Linux a lot and do a lot of work with it.

What is specious are your posts.

This has been rehashed ad-nauseum.

You're p-ssing in the wind.

Give Realflight a call. I'm sure they will be soooo happy to hear from you.

Or maybe not.

Hint: A Linux based commercial RC sim exists... you can even buy the Linux version on Steam. Works great on Steam boxes.

Which one, name? Steamboxes are not even released by now.

As previously mentioned, you can get PC/Console setups that come with Steam Preloaded on Windows. They Boot to Steam Big Picture mode. To Download and install Steam OS on one of these machines isn't that difficult but Steam in Windows works better for more games. Like I mentioned previously, Alienware Sells the Alpha and has for a while. I have a Friend who has one.

Ahm yes you made me try my Realflight controller in x-plane and it works. So I had a look in synaptic and installed crrcsim. Works perfectly, just had a nice gliding flight on a sea shore with animated waves.- Works great out of the box, didn't try my controller before.:)

Sorry to necro this, but opjose could change the words he chose to "defend" non-Windows platforms.

By now it is 2021 and RealFlight still has to come to other platforms, which is sad.

WINE is not an emulator, it is a wrapper and works great. Even back in 2015 you could already run DirectX applications, the only thing holding RealFlight back from running has nothing todo with "Windows API" bollox. It is copy protection.

Now we even have DirectX to Vulkan translation in realtime, making even Windows games run better on Windows.

I run all my games on Linux, the only games that fail to run usually deploy some form of failing DRM and I would gladly pay for the game/simulator if it ran. Triple A titles run no problem and have been running on Linux for years now.

WINE is not an emulator, it is a wrapper and works great. Even back in 2015 you could already run DirectX applications, the only thing holding RealFlight back from running has nothing todo with "Windows API" bollox. It is copy protection.
You are very mistaken. WINE is not a wrapper. Wine project is a collection of windows api(s) ( um, DLLs ) which have been reverse engineered to function like the actual window components, so that actual windows applications (unchanged, not recompiled) will run within the WINE environment. Many, many, applications have been made to run in WINE; but not DirectX applications. It is absolutely "Windows API bollox". DirectX has not bee reengineered, nor will it be any time soon. DirectX is the "show-stopper" for running Rf9.x on Linux, in the WINE environment.

marcus

Back