MacBook Pro M2 Chip - Working

LatexCartmen

I wanted to make a quick thread on how I was able to get RealFlight 9.5 to work on a new MacBook Pro with the M2.

1. Download the latest version of Parallels for Mac. I am running Parallels 18 with Windows 11.

2. Download RealFlight 9.5 and enter your product key.

3. Before you start the program, right click on program and go to properties. Go to compatibility and click on "Change emulation settings." On the drop-down menu, select Safe Emulation and apply the changes.

4. Download the DirectX drivers from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

5. Open RealFlight, hook up the control and enjoy. It will take a while to load the program. I am running 435 frames a second on medium quality mode.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I wanted to make a quick thread on how I was able to get RealFlight 9.5 to work on a new MacBook Pro with the M2.

1. Download the latest version of Parallels for Mac. I am running Parallels 18 with Windows 11.

2. Download RealFlight 9.5 and enter your product key.

3. Before you start the program, right click on program and go to properties. Go to compatibility and click on "Change emulation settings." On the drop-down menu, select Safe Emulation and apply the changes.

4. Download the DirectX drivers from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

5. Open RealFlight, hook up the control and enjoy. It will take a while to load the program. I am running 435 frames a second on medium quality mode.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Since 9.5s seems to be the only product that's receiving updates, have you tried running it on your m2? I've been running 9.5 on my m1 max for a while now, but I'm nervous about switching over to the Steam version.

Since 9.5s seems to be the only product that's receiving updates, have you tried running it on your m2? I've been running 9.5 on my m1 max for a while now, but I'm nervous about switching over to the Steam version.
I haven't yet. In theory, it should work without any problems because the system requirements are the same.

I installed the DirectX drivers, rebooted, and ran 9.5S with Safe Emulation and the application runs after the long delay you described. Thank you!

Do I have to run Steam to get 9.5s to run under Parralels? Im on an M1 iMac and steam loads but RF doesn’t startup (it’s showing as downloaded but won’t actually run)
Maybe I should reinstall RF 9.5s but can’t figure out how.
Any assistance please?
Thanks.

Do I have to run Steam to get 9.5s to run under Parralels? Im on an M1 iMac and steam loads but RF doesn’t startup (it’s showing as downloaded but won’t actually run)
Maybe I should reinstall RF 9.5s but can’t figure out how.
Any assistance please?
Thanks.
I was able to get 9.5S working on Parallels using a Mac with the M2 Chip. The same process above, the only difference is you need to change the emulation settings in Steam itself, not the desktop icon for RealFlight 9.5S.

Method not requiring parallels and windows licenses - mb air m2:

- get VMware Fusion (license for personal use is free, but you do have to hunt around on their site a bit to find that)
- it'll install windows 11 for you. It's the arm version - don't panic about that.
- license windows however you like. I switched to insider build. to do that in VMware you need the script available here: https://github.com/abbodi1406/offlineinsiderenroll
- install steam and real flight the usual way

at this point real flight will start up and run pretty well, but the mouse doesn't work in the menus

- install the dx11 beta version of realflight

now the menus work, but they are blank

- bring up the console by hitting [shift] ~
- type in showlegacymenu

you get the old style menu at the top, everything should work now. I used medium graphics settings. On high there is some post-processing option that causes bad aliasing and makes the sim run poorly - I'm sure improvements could be made with some fiddling.

Back