Neat new feature in RF 7

Boof69

If you select any model and then go to the editor and select visual mesh. You will see that the total poly count is reported on the right. It's very interesting to see some of KE'S poly counts;)

Did you catch this?

"Cross-platform development and deployment. For example, delivering applications for iOS, PC, Android, Linux, consoles."

Hmmm....

Bear in mind that the count displayed includes dynamically added frames, their associated glow frames, and glow and blur frames for the models themselves.

If anything, Boof, you can now see even better how our artists are generally working within the same limits you've had to.

Most models are under 20k even with the dynamic elements added. A few models, like the Sikorsky Skycrane, do go over that limit when you look at the count in the editor, but that includes all the glow frames, blur, etc. As the model is exported it is probably very close to 20k.

Jim

Claims that 10k was the in house limit are proved wrong by most models I have checked so far. Almost all the helis are over 20k and by a considerable amount. Some as high as 28k. When i get some spare time I will put together a complete list.

Bear in mind that the count displayed includes dynamically added frames, their associated glow frames, and glow and blur frames for the models themselves.

Yup all modeled frames. I dont get your point. You are aware that we would like to have the ability to aford to make all of those frame right? I am very familiar with what is being counted. I checked my method against a model of my own to check my work. I am not misrepresenting anything trust me.:)

My point is that the number you're seeing in RealFlight is not the same as what is being exported from Max, and comparing the two straight across is misleading.

The count you see in RealFlight includes dynamically added frames and their associated glow frames, which are not part of the actual model and do not count toward the poly limit.

The count in RealFlight also includes glow and blur frames. The former are only rendered at night. The latter are only rendered when certain parts are spinning in the sim (of course, some other frames that were being rendered are faded out at that point). These frames do count toward the poly limit.

We have stated previously that our artists sometimes exceed the poly limit for the purpose of adding glow and blur frames to a model, but they do not exceed the poly limit for the main visuals (and they try to limit how often they do this at all). We have also said that we recognize that option is unavailable to you guys and that we'd like you to have the same kind of wiggle room.

Some specifics might help. Let's look at the Synergy N5 from EP8.

RealFlight reports 26343 visual triangles.

After we exclude dynamic frames (heli rotor blades in this case) and their glow, which are not actually part of the model, that leaves 23579 triangles for the model itself out of Max.

From that starting point, let's exclude the main models' glow frames. That leaves 23205.

Now let's exclude the blur frames. That gives us a count of 19477 visual triangles for the model itself.

If we end up not raising the poly limit across the board, I still want to explore adding some similar flexibility for you guys in this area.

______

That 10k figure you mentioned was a self-imposed target, not a hard limit. It does not include the types of frames mentioned above. And it is from several years ago.

I have done a lot of reading about the possibilities of how it will be raised. I cant wait for the realities.

Maybe if you just stop stalking Ryan about that Polylimit, the progress will be a bit faster. The only thing you are talking about is the polylimit!! Just imagine people stalks you everyday for a release of one of your models. After a while you get more and more angry, ends up in delaying everything...

Just give them the time they need. In the meanwhile just grab some models and prepare them for the new exporter.

I have 3 new exclusive Goblins in the pipeline that just wait for the new exporter. I will be patient until it´s here.

Just enjoy RF7 ;)

Back