Need Info on BASIC

shockwave191

I'm interested in RF Basic. I understand it to be a BASIC model so, no expansion packs, no swap files, and no bells and whisels as others have stated. Just fine with me; however, I have some questions which I could not obtain answers to. I do not want to purchase Basic only to fine out it is not what I had wished for. There are usually no refunds/returns for software related items.

1) I understand that RF Basic does not support full screen mode. Is this correct? When running the application I would like it to fill my entire monitor.

2) Is RF Basic WIN 7 64 BIT compatible? It clearly states it is win 7 and vista compatable but, no direct mention of 64 bit version.

3) Is there Dual Rates or Expo features?

4) Is there software patches to fix bugs or improve the program? In other words is there support for the product and for how long?

5) If one desires to use their own transmitter can the included controller function as an interface?

I have searched Knife Edges' website and forums to obtain these answers and was unable. If someone would kindly answer these question I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Shockwave191

Last edited:
1.) More a function of OS... so I would say yes, you can resize screen to fill your monitor... less sure of using alt+enter to switch to full screen no menu border. I actually see more using a window view.
2.) Again more an OS question, I would say yes, with 95% certainty.
3.) Looking at basic radio... I would say no.. I do not see a dual rates switch nor is it mentioned in the comparison table.
4.) I have not seen or heard of any patches to the software. Only KE can comment on future releases, so that is unknown.. If the product works for you, it works and may not need any upgrades.. it is being sold at a very low price, so you cannot expect all the bells and whistles.
5.) Comparison table says that there is no "built in transmitter interface" so no you cannot plug in your transmitter.

Were it me, and it was simply a matter of money, I would wait and buy the full version of the software. You don't need the mega packs to enjoy the product. The lost of a single real plane is going to be more than the cost of the software. Realize that you may need to upgrade your system if you do not have a graphics card and power supply. Both of those can raise your cost. Many laptops are not capable of running gaming software.

Last edited:
120clockhigh,
Thanks for the replies. As far as my hardware goes, it is adequate for this program. I don't have the lastest and greatest but, more then enough. I was really concerned about the 64 bit issue. I know I can run it in compatiblity mode (x86) but, wish not to. I'm not really sure I need the full version and that is why my interest in basic. I had G2 many many years ago and did not untilize it. I have been using RCDesktop which was okay for my needs until I fried my TX. Apparently jumping the two pins was not sufficient. Anyway thanks

Shockwave191

There is no native version of 64 bit for any Real Flight.

For speculation-free answers to all of your other questions, contact tech support.

I'm not really sure I need the full version and that is why my interest in basic.
When I was looking for a simulator it was between Phoenix and RF. I went back and forth because they seemed to me as a beginner equal. What finally swayed me to RF was the Swap Pages. I found a video of someone showing off the unusual planes he had in RF, and I thought "that looks like fun!"

I think if you are looking for strictly a simulator the basic would be more than fine. But if you are looking for some fun as well the Swap Pages are filled with aircraft that are just down right entertaining! :)

Jeffpn, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have emailed tech support/customer service. Due to the holiday I'm hoping to get a response back sometime this week. Again thanks and understand your answer.

Imageek2, I have wrestled with this for a bit. I have not flown in over a year so, I thought I would quickly brush up before getting back into the cockpit. Repairs are time consuming. That is why I was leaning towards and basic or inexpensive one. I tried to learn hover but, it is really hard with the sims. In fact flying the sim is harder for me than, actual plane. I can't see everything at once. Anyway still deciding.

Thanks

KnifeEdge graciously replied to my above questions/original email.
1) Basic does not support full screen mode.
2) Basic does run on Win 7 64 Bit.
3) Some aircraft do support/have preprogramed dual rates.
4) There will not be any patches so, the software/program is not supported.
5) You can not use your own personal transmitter

So, if anyone else had these same questions, I hope this is helps

Shockwave191

To clarify, your email came from Great Planes tech support, not from Knife Edge. (That is, if you used the email address I provided you. And in my opinion, the fact that they replied shows that the software is supported. I'm not sure if there's ever been a need for any patches.)

Yup, "support" and "enhancements via after-sale updates" are two completely different things.

Basic is just that, a "Basic" simulator.

If you want to get on the frequent upgrades bandwagon, move up to G6.x which is not that much more especially when Super Saver price breaks are applied.

jeffpn,
Your right. Technically tech support is through Great Planes, not Knife Edge. If I remember correctly I did access them through a Great Planes website. Also understand that there is different types and levels of tech support.

My concern is if there are bugs or as Microsoft updates their software that issues don't arise down the road. You want any software company to resolve such issues if possible.

shockwave191

My concern is if there are bugs or as Microsoft updates their software that issues don't arise down the road. You want any software company to resolve such issues if possible.
In the past, KE has always issued patches when needed as you describe. I don't believe that's a concern, even with Basic.

I believe you could say that about every post in these forums, unless it's from KE. But that's just my opinion... :)

Regards
Michael

jeffpn,

If I understand Great Planes correctly which represents Knife Edge then no, there will not be any patches for Basic. Patches and upgrades apply to G6.x. Their focus is on G6, not basic.

Also for anyone who might be interested Basic runs in compatibility mode (x86).

Yup...

There have been no patches because none have been needed beyond the first few.

There was never any intent to keep EXTENDING the Basic simulator beyond the initial offering.

This is in keeping with what many other RC sims do...

The OP is confusing Enhancements/Extensions with PATCHES & Support... these do not equate.

Knifeedge has spearheaded the on-going enhancements bandwagon thanks in large part to their efforts with Expansion Packs.

Enhancements to Expansion packs brought frequent updates to the flagship version of the simulator. That is slated to continue.

The "Basic" simulator does not support Expansion packs.... something the purchaser is told up front.

jeffpn,
I clicked on your link but, not sure I saw/read what you were intending for us/me to see. So, I'm sorry but, I did not get the point you were intending. Great Planes stated to me via email that there would be no patches and definitely you expansion packs. The no expansion packs has been clearly stated by Great Planes as well as others. As opjose has correctly stated there was never any intent to extend (enhancements) or expand (my words) BASIC. It is what it is; a basic version. My question was if there are software bugs down the road if there would be solutions. That's all. And as opjose has stated there has been no need for patches which is great.

RealFlight Basic has been out for nearly 4 years. It is difficult for me to imagine any issues being discovered only now, after all this time, that would cause us to release an update. As you seem to understand, Basic was designed to be very self-contained and easy to use, with limited but very stable functionality. We never planned to update or patch it, and as others have said, we've never needed to.

Ryan D,
Thanks for jumping in. Basic it is which meets my needs so, thank the member(s) for producing such a product. And as you said stability is the issue and I might add issue free for me.

Thanks

Back