new import capabilities for RF 8

Crash Landing

HI,
I was about to make some static objects to import into Real Flight 8. I went to the forum to refresh my memory about how to import the objects. Basically I can't remember what the rule is for an object's color. Can I make an object a simple solid color, or do I need a mapped texture. In the forum I found talk about new import capabilities in RF 8. People were talking about creating objects in Blender and then importing them into the latest 3DStudio Max, and finally exporting them for RF. Just now I tried to find some detailed information about the new import capabilities, but couldn't find it. So I am asking. What are the new import capabilities ? Previously we had to use the old 8 bit version of 3-DStudio 2012. Can RF now receive objects exported from the latest 3DStudio ? Why create something in Blender first ? I have/use Maya, C4D, Softimage, 3DStudio Max, Vue, Blender and Lightwave. Of these I am extremely comfortable with Maya, C4D and Softimage. I am fairly comfortable with 3D Studio Max. I used to be extremely comfortable with Lightwave, but it has changed quite a bit since then. I find Blender extremely difficult to use. I would much rater create objects in 3D Studio Max than in Blender. So my question is multi part. Can I now create objects in 3D Studio Max 2017/2018, and export as Kex objects from there ? Are there now exporters for any other programs such as Maya or C4D ? Is there any reason why I couldn't create objects in Maya or C4D, import them to 3DStudio, and then export them as Kex for RF ? Are there any other modeling changes I should know about ? Can I export an object with a simple solid color, or do they need the mapped texture ?
Thank you.

I'm one of the modelers and I use 3ds Max 2015 here's my understanding of the new export / import method for RF-8. The only method used now is FBX so you model your project and export it using FBX from 3ds Max and then import that directly into RF-8.

The new RF-8 FBX importer doesn't work with Baked On Colors so you need to map all the parts and use the CS texture map to paint it. If you use any Baked On Colors the whole plane will be very shiny. I asked the KE guys about that when I modeled my first plane for RF-8 and that's what they said to me. No Baked On Colors or you get the super shiny plane. So that's the rule I follow for my models. There is a script around here that modifies the FBX file so Baked On Colors work but I haven't used it, but it does work one of the other modelers uses it and will probably chime in here when he sees your post.

For more info on the FBX export settings read this thread in the RF-X forum but KE said the FBX export info in that thread is valid for RF-8 too. So look for the section labeled FBX Export Settings here's a link to the thread.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=32324

Thank you very much for the information. Do you know if this works with newer versions of 3DS ? I have 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Of course if I can, I would prefer to use the newest. I see that 3DS 2018 does have FBX export.

HI,
During import to RealFlight "import>3D Model (FBX, KEX)"I browse to the FBX file in a folder on C: and hit Import. I get errors during FBX to Kex conversion: An unexpected Error Occurred while writing the output file. PLease Contact Knife Edge Software. Then after saying OK to the error I elect Airport Object, Static, Metal. Then I get Error File Not found, and then Error Opening. Then it says Error: Cannot locate path to texture file within Kex file. Corrupted KEX file ?
I am using a 1024 X 1024 targa (.tga) image, color, 8-bit. I have exported it from Photoshop as a 16, 24 and 32 bit image. They all say 8 bit per channel color.
In 3DSM, in Slate Material Editor, I took a bitmap from Materials, Maps, General and browsed to the image file. I then took a Standard Material from Materials>Scanline>Standard. I connected the bitmap output to the diffuse color input of the Material. I then selected my object and selected apply material to selection. I adjusted only the height and width to make it look right. It looks perfect when I render it in 3DSM. What am I doing wrong ?

The tutorials didn't seem to help. The first is on how to get to the compact materials editor. I have been using the slate materials editor. Can that be the problem ? The second tutorial is about linking parts of a model. This is a simple cylinder. The third tutorial about setting up pivots didn't help.

I should say that it is a RGB image, and it is planar mapped. Just a few years ago I did all this successfully using a kex model export from 3DSM 2012. I used the same size image this time because that was important before. And I tried all three bit depths when saving from photoshop, 16, 24 and 32 bit. All failed to import.

My Real Flight is registered.
I put the targa texture file into the same folder as the object, as I did for Kex models in the past. That folder is C:/Program Files/RealFlight Objects. This is a folder I created and this is where I have put my .kex files and textures when I imported them before, and where I imported them from. That was another computer, and older versions of Real Flight. I am now using RF 8. Windows 10. I also have a folder in the same place called Real Flight Airports, and one called Real Flight Aircraft. These two folders are where I put the things I download from Swap Pages, and where I import them from.
Does the texture need to be in a specific folder ?

Last edited:
Is it possible that Windows 10 is preventing Real Flight from writing files to the C: drive ? Perhaps I need to run Real Flight as Administrator ? Every time I write a file to a W10 folder it says it requires administrator approval. Fortunately it lets me hit continue and the action is not blocked.

Windows 10 protects the Program Files directories - only installers & Windows itself are allowed to write there. Moving that directory to your "Documents\Realflight 8" directory will probably solve your problem. User data does not belong in a program directory. If it's in your Documents directory, it should be backed up. That data won't be backed up where it is now unless you've added that program directory to your backup scheme. ALL your personal data belongs in your personal directory rather than scattered around your HD to make backup/restore easier in case of a HD failure. Programs can be easily re-installed into a fresh copy of Windows. And after the reinstall, your personal data can be restored from your backups.

Last edited:
I moved my Real Flight Models folder from Program files to C:/Users/Me/Documents/Real Flight 8, and it installed perfectly. That was it. Thank you for your help. I want to mention that I normally NEVER put any personal files on the C: drive of any computer. I always have at least two drives, or at least partitions. I did it this time because it seemed these models needed to be on the C:Drive and I thought it good to keep them close to the Real Flight Folder. I was using Windows XP then.
There are several reasons I never put my personal files on the C:Drive, and I never use the documents folder. 1. The documents folder is located oddly and I have my own scheme for arranging file folders. 2. The C:Drive and especially the Documents folder is the first place a virus or malware looks for your personal files to steal, damage or encrypt. 3. Because Windows constantly runs the C:Drive, even when the computer is not in use, the C:Drive is always the first to fail. 4. I create a lot of data because I do photography, video, animation, music, and so would quickly fill the C:Drive making Windows run even more slowly.
I back up everything regularly onto Blu Ray disks, I am starting to use M-Disks for critical backups. I have thought about using LTO-6 lonear tapes for backups because I have so much data. Even with 100 GB blu ray disks it takes at least 20 to back up a single 2 TB drive. I often fill 2 TB drives with image sequences. Anyone have experience with LTO ?
Thanks again for all the help.

Glad I could help. Unlike previous versions, Win10 protects code directories from unauthorized writes by malware as part of its enhanced security. I'm glad you're backing up. Using the Documents directory makes backups easier, but as you say it also makes it easier for bad actors to find your personal data. I don't really know anything about LTO-6 tape drives, but FYI I bought a 2TB flash drive from Wish, cheap - about $20 including shipping. It's supposed to be USB3, but writes aren't much faster than USB2 on that particular drive. I have other USB3 thumb drives that write MUCH faster - but they're nowhere near as big. It might be adequate for your needs, especially if you backup only files that have changed since the last full backup. But the full backup will probably feel like it's taking forever.

Last edited:
Back