Newbie Question About Video

Oh you can certainly edit the included airfields, you can even move the entire hiearchy en-mass to another area, or to another existing 3D airfield.

Also one thing that improves the look GREATLY of the ground textures...

If you go into the Airport editor do this...

- Find the two ground entries. Normally they are different bitmaps.
- Set both ground textures to the SAME bitmap.

- Adjust the inner airport texture radius to say 1000'
- Adjust the outer airport texture radius to say 1500'

Save the airport under a new name.

Restart the sim and load up your new airport.

While you are at it...

- Decrease the foliage radius to say 300-500'
- Decrease the outer radius to say 800'
- Set foliage density to 100%
- Enter a new foliage random seed value with at least four or more digits.

And you can get quite fancy, adding 3D grass, etc.

BTW: have you loaded the Alaska resort photofield and looked down at the water from the pier?

Did you see the foam in the water? Watch it for a second... pretty nice eh?

Wow you are opening up a whole new level of information I had no idea about. That's very encouraging. This may make up for some of the graphics shortcomings. Does this editing work in the PhotoField airports or just the 3D airports?

Unfortunately, I don't have the Alaska Resort PhotoField. It must not be included in the software but must be some add-on.

Steve..or Mr. Foobar
I'm not a Gamer
nor a PC technoid
But I believe I'm correct in stating that
RFs needs the required horsepower for its physics engine
keep in mind
graphics intensive games like Farcry4 don't have to deal with a virtual interactive weather system, no thermals or wind variation or gusts ,ground effect ,drag ,no simulation of interaction between objects and air ,virtual friction ,lift, wing profiles ,weight of an object etc. etc. ad-nausium(and all of this done pretty realistically if you ask me)

Also
Including both the Aircraft and Airport editors
RF is really 3 separate programs under the same hood
If you consider all of the above and add to the fact that RF is still DX9 dependent and KEs desire to be able to market to those who cant spend $1000+ on high end gamer PCs....it all comes at a cost that sacrifices graphics(just a guess on my part, personally I don tthink the graphics are THAT bad but I don't own a high end machine either...ignorance is bliss, I guess))

As well it should !
RF is a learning tool in which its students are taking the final exam with some pretty expensive hardware at a RW field.. with RW dollars
I'll take physics Accuracy over eye candy any day of the week...I'm pretty sure KE feels the same way
RF caters to a niche market,
While I believe the folks at KE are the BEST at filling this particular niche market
they are in the grand scope of things, a relatively small software co. that does not have the R&D millions(for lack of a better term ) that someone like UbiSoft etc. has to spend on graphics engines(or XBoxes and PlayStations to run in for that matter)

Like I said I'm no expert, I could be wrong on several points (or more:p:rolleyes: ) ..... but I'm pretty sure that's what the deal is

Steve..or Mr. Foobar
I'm not a Gamer
nor a PC technoid
But I believe I'm correct in stating that

Maj. I really like what you said and it pretty much reflects the way I feel about RealFlight and Knife Edge. But I'd like to add a few comments.

I am a 3D Gamer and I'm sure many of the people that buy RealFlight are, so I think it's necessary to come to grips with that. Graphics quality are very important and I would go on to say they're very important to most people that buy RealFlight. It's also important to understand that this forum is a small subset of RealFlight users so the feelings shared here are probably not what a broader sample would show.

FIRST THE BAD. Let's get them out of the way. The graphics quality in RealFlight definitely need to be improved I seen a comment from the RealFlight Admin agreeing they need to be improved, so it's no secret they need to be improved. And I think they should be improved for the next major release, Version 8. But in my opinion improving them doesn't necessarily require a completely new engine. The two areas I think need to be improved for Version 8 is Shadow Quality and Texture Quality. I think both of these could be improved to make the rendering better, not a radical change, but a definite improvement. 1) Reduce the jaggies at the edge of shadows as much as possible, this makes for some really ugly shadows, and to me reducing them is very important. Maybe they can't be eliminated with the current engine but they could be improved. Yes that takes Graphics Horsepower, but that's what shadow quality options are for so people with weak graphics can still run the simulator. Most folks in this hobby can buy a better graphics card so don't punish everyone else if you don't want to spend some cash on your computer. 2) They need to improve the quality of the textures, right now they're far from measuring up to many years old tech. The same image with a higher texture quality would move up the apparent quality of the 3D fields quite a bit. A small step but a noticeable change in apparent quality.

Of course these changes aren't the radical changes many want but I'm keeping my requests down to the level you mentioned in your comments, the fact they aren't the huge game company with the money and technical resources of the big boys. And that's fine with me, just give me a noticeable improvement and that's enough. But we can't forget there's two sides to this simulator so it's unwise to keep the current state of graphics even for Knife Edge as a company. In the tech world you must move on, or risk the bulk of your customers moving on to something else. It doesn't matter if everyone on this forum loves RealFlight the way it is, because there's not enough revenue here to keep them going. All of their customers matter.

SECOND THE GOOD: And this is REAL GOOD. I really like the way RealFlight flies and it remains my RC Flight Simulator of choice even though I tried out AFRC7. I loved flying their 3D fields they're what I want to see in RealFlight. But the truth is RealFlight just flies better, and like you said, flying is what an RC Simulator is all about so I continue to fly RealFlight. But if the flight physics were better that would change the story. So Knife Edge, please give us improved graphics quality because you have the rest of it locked down. And along with improved graphics give us better quality 3D fields, there's two great things to evaluate, the other sim and Zenjima (Island of Enlightenment) in RF 7.5 Swap Pages, the best laid out 3D field in RealFlight (that I've tried there's probably others).

Fair Enough
sure I would love to see better graphics
I'm thinking RFs DX9 dependence is a major factor that really should be addressed and is a major hindrance in going forward in the graphics department...again just my uninformed opinion
BTW.......about fell out of my chair when I saw your user name.....:p:D
who'da thunk !?

Last edited:
I am also currently working on a Space Station P.I. AP as well heres a sneak preview...

Attachments

• ScreenShot1368391456.jpg
    ScreenShot1368391456.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1368390782.jpg
    ScreenShot1368390782.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1368380931.jpg
    ScreenShot1368380931.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1367819600.jpg
    ScreenShot1367819600.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 6
  • ScreenShot1367792774.jpg
    ScreenShot1367792774.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 5
Fair Enough
sure I would love to see better graphics
I'm thinking RFs DX9 dependence is a major factor that really should be addressed and is a major hindrance in going forward in the graphics department...again just my uninformed opinion
BTW.......about fell out of my chair when I saw your user name.....:p:D
who'da thunk !?

I agree DX9 isn't where they need to be, engine wise, but I do think the improvements I mentioned are well within the abilities of DX9. I've seen some pretty cool games using DX9 so I think there's enough left room left for them to add the changes I mentioned. I wonder what texture resolution they use for the 3D maps. But even if the texture resolution is high enough the source art has to be there too, so maybe it's a combination.

HA... Yeah I loved the PC technoid connection. I did cry a little thinking you were picking on me though... naw... that's a joke. <grin>

I'm just not sure where to place the pilot spawn(s)

The biggest problem I am having ,at least the last time I worked on it is placing objects ,everything worked fine....then all of a sudden they would never go where intended ..even if I did the x y and z position digitally?...I'll try again ..maybe I'll offer it up to see if any one else has better luck with it maybe it my pc is not playing nice, nice anymore ?

Viewbug....Thank you
yes all mine...more to come...just won a contest there:D
http://www.viewbug.com/blog/repetitions-photo-contest-winners

Wow you guys are awesome. I completely agree with just about every word both of you have said in these recent posts. Absolutely spot-on and very rational and reasonable. I had no idea I could download other airfields so I'm going to try and figure out how to do that and I'll definitely check out your field also Numbskully. Great posts guys!

Wow you guys are awesome. I completely agree with just about every word both of you have said in these recent posts. Absolutely spot-on and very rational and reasonable. I had no idea I could download other airfields so I'm going to try and figure out how to do that and I'll definitely check out your field also Numbskully. Great posts guys!

You can get the 3D Field (Zenjima) I talked about here.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/20357

All you do is download the zip file from the webpage, start RealFlight, and use this menu path to import it.

Simulation
* Import
** RealFlight Archive (RFX G3)

Select the downloaded zip file and the program will import it's contents. Then use the Environment menu and look for a new Custom Airports menu item at the top. For the airport I'm talking about, Zenjima, they'll be an entry named Lighthouse and inside it the Zenjima airport will be listed. BUT THERE'S A PROBLEM. That airport requires some assets from optional components and if you don't have them installed you can's use it. And one of the components is hard to find these days because it's an expansion pack that's not sold anymore. Here's the two items you need.

1. Add-On 3 (A free download from the RealFlight website)
2. Expansion Pack 3 (Get it on Amazon or Ebay)

I talked to the author, 25thCentury, and he plans to fix that but doesn't have time to do it right now. The Lighthouse in the 3D airport is from the freely downloadable Add-On 3 so it's easy to leave in because you can get the resource needed free from their website. But the other asset, the brick runway on a small island, can be changed pretty easy once he gets the time to fix it.

So, a very cool 3D airport, but a little hard to use because of the requirements. If you want to see what it looks like I made a video of me flying around in it and put it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQ5XrISgdw

Don't forget to use the little Gear Icon at the bottom of the video window to select 1080p HD so you get the best image quality. The default YouTube video quality isn't that good.

yup
if you have add-on3 the lighthouse will be included in the AP by default
even better...
In fact any user created custom AP Object that's in a field that has been DL'd and imported from the swap page will be available in the AP Editors "Object Pallet" for use in any AP you like

All of the following user created content can be uploaded/Downloaded free to or from the Swap Pages
new aircraft(EA=Entire Aircraft)
new physics models(AV=Alternate Vehicles) [[EA Specific]]
new paintjobs(CS=Color Schemes) [[EA Specific]]
new 3d Airports (AP=Airport)
new Photo Fields (PI=Panoramic Image)
And
Recordings (RC=Recording)

Custom Airport Objects (AP Object) however MUST be uploaded or downloaded WITHIN an AP or PI ONLY

SWAP PAGE EDICATE/GOLDEN RULE(s)

it IS OK To upload CSs and AVs For any EA File without permission ,it is ok to upload an AP or PI that includes a custom AP OBJECT give credit to its creator in the files description at the swap page...if unknown SAY SO IF !

NEVER UPLOAD THE FOLLOWING CONTENT: EA ,CS or PI.....THAT YOU YOURSELF DID NOT CREATE without express permission from the original creator/author

fyi
Flying virtual aircraft in RF is only half the fun WITH THIS SIM
many get as much enjoyment creating content for this sim as they do flying in it (maybe more!)
did you know a quality virtual model for RF that includes an EA,AV,and CS takes on average of 50 sometimes 100 hours to complete !

Last edited:
Back