Newbie to RC plane design in Real Flight

nit

Hi all, I'm just now getting into RC flight and just bought Real Flight 9. I'm part of a club at my university that builds RC planes, and I wanted to see if I can make a model like it in RF. I currently have a Solidworks model of the plane, and I saw that for older versions of RF, you could use an old version of 3DSmax and the KEmax plugin to export the model as a KEX file, and then define the physics in real flight, but I'm not seeing how to do it for RF9. Is this possible, or has this since been removed?

Thanks!

I tried this, and got a message about not being able to locate a texture file. How would I make that?

No, you need a paint program, such as paint, photo shop or gimp2.

No problem, we all started somewhere.

Would I be able to import my .fbx file to gimp and save it as a tga, or do I need to make it manually? I'm not very good at this graphic design stuff as it is :/

Attachments

• TGA-1.jpg
    TGA-1.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 47
  • TGA-2.JPG
    TGA-2.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 35
  • TGA-3.jpg
    TGA-3.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 33
  • TGA-4.jpg
    TGA-4.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 30
  • TGA-5.jpg
    TGA-5.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 29
In TGA-4 I forgot to mention click the save to disk icon in the top left corner of tool bar in render uv template box.
Also follow these steps.

Attachments

• TGA-6.jpg
    TGA-6.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 21
Wow, this is really detailed! Thanks! When I tried that, when I go into the uv editor nothing shows up in the Edit uvws window. In order to do unwrap uvw, I have to select each component individually, as when I select them all, there is not an option in the modifier list to unwrap uvw, and I'm not sure why.

One difference is that I see in your model when you select them all it says 28 objects selected, whereas for me when I select the model it says 35 entities selected, rather than 35 objects. I'm still able to unwrap uvw if I do an individual component, but again, when I go into the edit uv editor menu nothing shows up where the shape should be.

Just click and drag a selection box around your model in the lower right viewport, to select all of the model.

When I do that and hit unwrap uvw and go to uv editor, no model shows up in the editor. Would you happen to know why? I'm gonna look on the 3DS max forums and see if anyone there has encountered a similar problem.

I was just using it as a learning tool, (soon after UT posted) I modelled it in Wings3D then imported into Max, only to realise I had the Z axis set wrong in Wings3D, so after exporting from Max and into RF.9, the Mooney spawned pointing in reversed direction and when throttle was applied the model took of backwards, (really funny to see), so I scrapped the model and moved on to my next learning project, (different model) but this time I have started in Max to hopefully avoid such a problem.

Couldn`t you have rotated it 180* (assuming the Z axis is the correct one, I don`t recall..:p) in Wings, and then go through the process of getting it into RF again...Would that have corrected the spawning in the wrong direction..????Looks like you were doing a good job on the plane, I was a little confused there for awhile.

Back