NX6 settings for 230S Smart

AlexanderHeli

I did buy RF to train with exact same settings as with real heli. I ue a dongle. Questions I have:
- What controller in the settings best to use. I tried several but no all switches on my transmitter can be activated (like switch G).
- The flight modes are not activated, how to do that?
- How to activate SAFE mode in RF
- Is there a usefull video that can help me

You'll need to do a little work on the NX6 to create a model that you can use with RealFlight, and then you need to do some configuration in RealFlight to map the channels from the NX6 to the proper functions in RF. Flying helis with just 7 channels on the radio will add a bit more challenge as well.

On the NX6, create a basic acro (airplane) model. That might sound strange for flying a heli, but that's what you want. Then map channels Gear and Aux1 to switches. You may want to put Gear on a three-position switch for changing flight modes, and then Aux1 on the button for the panic function. Put the Aux2 channel on a switch as well. You'll need to use that switch for Throttle Hold, as all helis in RealFlight use Throttle Hold.

On the RealFlight side, you'll need to edit your Controller Profile to assign your flight mode switch to RealFlight Channel 8 - Mode. The Panic function is associated with Channel 12. Finally, assign your Throttle Hold swtich to RealFlight Channel 9.

Then recalibrate your controller. When it tells you to center the sticks, center the three-position switches as well. Then when you get to the step where you move everything around, move the three-position switches through their entire range of motion a couple of times.

I have a more complete writeup here in my blog on RCGroups with pictures. It was made using a DX9, but just about everything in DX works the same way with NX.

Last edited:
You'll need to do a little work on the NX6 to create a model that you can use with RealFlight, and then you need to do some configuration in RealFlight to map the channels from the NX6 to the proper functions in RF. Flying helis with just 7 channels on the radio will add a bit more challenge as well.

On the NX6, create a basic acro (airplane) model. That might sound strange for flying a heli, but that's what you want. Then map channels Gear and Aux1 to switches. You may want to put Gear on a three-position switch for changing flight modes, and then Aux1 on the button for the panic function. Put the Aux2 channel on a switch as well. You'll need to use that switch for Throttle Hold, as all helis in RealFlight use Throttle Hold.

On the RealFlight side, you'll need to edit your Controller Profile to assign your flight mode switch to RealFlight Channel 8 - Mode. The Panic function is associated with Channel 12. Finally, assign your Throttle Hold swtich to RealFlight Channel 9.

Then recalibrate your controller. When it tells you to center the sticks, center the three-position switches as well. Then when you get to the step where you move everything around, move the three-position switches through their entire range of motion a couple of times.

I have a more complete writeup here in my blog on RCGroups with pictures. It was made using a DX9, but just about everything in DX works the same way with NX.
Hi. I needed to change to different computer because of speed. Have done this now. Dowloaded your heli file and adjusted settings in realflight. But heli does not fly normal, reacts very slowly or not. Nowhere close to actual heli. Also panic mode and flight mode 1 does not work. Can you help to resolve issue?

The transmitter setup for Blade 230S is really strange in real life, with flight mode and panic combined on the same channel. It's not like that in RealFlight. You definitely can't use the model in your NX6 for the real Blade 230S. Also, you want to use a RealFlight airplane model setup rather than the heli setup I suggest in that post. You don't need to control the collective from your NX6; the throttle curve and pitch curve are managed within the model in RealFlight. Going with an airplane setup is the only way you'll get enough channels to make the other things (flight mode, panic, throttle hold) work.

You'll have to get the flight modes working properly before you can judge how well it works. Make sure that your Flight Mode switch is associated with RealFlight Channel 8 (Mode) in the Controller Profile. Panic would be a separate channel and associated with RealFlight Channel 12.

All helis in RealFlight have Throttle Hold mode, regardless of whether or not the real one has the same setting. So you'll also need to have a switch assgined to a channel on your NX6 for that as well, and it maps to RealFlight Channel 9 (Throttle Hold) in the Controller Profile.

So after you're past all that, you can look at how the heli flies. I thought the 230S was very hard to control in RF. I'm terrible at flying helis although I tried for a few years and I know how a collective-pitch heli is supposed to work. I know, it doesn't sit still in mid-air, even with SAFE; it's not a multirotor. I learned that the throttle and pitch curves are not configured in RealFlight to match those in the 230S manual. So I spent some time adjusting the pitch and throttle curves so that the heli would do a pretty good job of maintaining altitiude at center stick. That made it MUCH better. It also has a really dramatic drift to the left in Beginner Mode, so I added a little mix in the AIL channel to counteract that. Now it behaves how I think the real one should. Again, it doesn't just sit still, but it's a lot easier for someone like me to control with SAFE helping to correct the lateral movement.

Back