Object Suggestion/Request

fgibson

I am wondering if KE would consider adding a few sections of two dimensional tree line - like the City Skyline object in the construction folder - but with trees instead of buildings.

My home field is surrounded 360 with trees and I've discovered that 3D trees eat up not just airplanes but a lot of processing power. If I put even half that many trees around a 3D copy of our flying field, my PC cannot keep up. Even using a photo field, it takes a lot of collision buffers to fill in that much tree line.

A flat tree line would still allow pilots to practice staying out of the trees. Might not look that great from the aircraft cameras but I would take that trade off.

Please consider this.

Thanks!

PS: Hope I posted this in the right forum...

Is there a way of painting the buildings as trees ?

I don't know. Seems like that would be more work than starting from scratch.

I think I'm about to dive into the world of 3D modeling software. Having a blast learning about all this. :)

Is there a way of painting the buildings as trees ?

No it is a default object so it is not repaintable unless there is a different skyline that I am not aware of

I don't know. Seems like that would be more work than starting from scratch.

I think I'm about to dive into the world of 3D modeling software. Having a blast learning about all this. :)

Unless there is a premade custom object that I am not aware of starting from scratch would be the easiest. if you want help learning I can help

No it is a default object so it is not repaintable unless there is a different skyline that I am not aware of

Unless there is a premade custom object that I am not aware of starting from scratch would be the easiest. if you want help learning I can help

Help would be great but right now I don't even know what I need help with:)

Planning to do some research on software and file compatibility with RF. Then I will have lots of questions!!

Help would be great but right now I don't even know what I need help with:)

Planning to do some research on software and file compatibility with RF. Then I will have lots of questions!!

The free student versoin of 3ds max (no you do not need to be an actual student) and I would recommend Wings3d to build the planes/objects (but you can use what ever you want based on you research) to then transfer to 3ds max and setup pivots, materials, hierarchy and smoothing groups. since you are looking into airport objects you will only need to learn 2 of the 4.

Will plan to download 3DSMax today or tomorrow. I think I have minimum requirements needed but I'm hoping to upgrade my PC in the next few months.

I feel a bit like I did when I started learning After Effects. Reminds me of that line in the Taylor Swift song, "You don't know what you don't know"

To be continued...

The free student versoin of 3ds max (no you do not need to be an actual student) and I would recommend Wings3d to build the planes/objects (but you can use what ever you want based on you research) to then transfer to 3ds max and setup pivots, materials, hierarchy and smoothing groups. since you are looking into airport objects you will only need to learn 2 of the 4.

What is the advantage of using Wings3D to build? Can't I just use 3ds max? And, does that mean that objects built in any other software have to go through Max?

Also, I'm confused about the Max educational license. The educational license requirements are clearly stated and the closest I come to meeting them is that my wife is a retired teacher. Don't think that counts. However another statement I found makes it seem like they don't care as long as I don't profit in any way...which I would not.

What is the advantage of using Wings3D to build? Can't I just use 3ds max? And, does that mean that objects built in any other software have to go through Max?

Also, I'm confused about the Max educational license. The educational license requirements are clearly stated and the closest I come to meeting them is that my wife is a retired teacher. Don't think that counts. However another statement I found makes it seem like they don't care as long as I don't profit in any way...which I would not.

Wings is easier to learn/use for a novice. Audodesk thw make of 3ds max does not care to much unless you start using 3ds max student to make money / comericially which we dont I have never had any issue and have gotten it 3 times with an edu email. Technoid has gotten it multiple times with out an edu email i think.

Wings is easier to learn/use for a novice. Audodesk thw make of 3ds max does not care to much unless you start using 3ds max student to make money / comericially which we dont I have never had any issue and have gotten it 3 times with an edu email. Technoid has gotten it multiple times with out an edu email i think.

Yes I've got it two times now, no problem so far. The only thing I do with it is here so I don't make any money with it.

Good to know you have been successful downloading.

Given my lack of experience and after watching different tutorials, I think I'm going to start with Wings3D and then hopefully graduate to Max.

I just want to try building some simple objects and learn about textures, painting, mapping, etc.

Good to know you have been successful downloading.

Given my lack of experience and after watching different tutorials, I think I'm going to start with Wings3D and then hopefully graduate to Max.

I just want to try building some simple objects and learn about textures, painting, mapping, etc.

Starting with wings3D and learning the basics and maybe have a full plane you are ready to fly before you have a timer ticking on you max student subscription is a great idea

OP, I know that you are getting pulled in two directions. I just don't think 3D Max studio is that hard to learn. Just do everything inside the one tool (max) that you will need to know somethng about. There are a lot of training videos and many books on using 3DMax. Just saying.

At some point, this discussion really belongs in the designers discussion forum.

If I had it to do over again. I wish I learned on MAX. I had gmax back in the day, but it was always limited.

Dang, I am always posting in the wrong forum...

Should I start a new thread in the designers forum?

Really two forums here that are active. 1.) things to do with using Real Flight, 2.) Using outside software to create or modify things for use in Real Flight.

You can do what ever you want, or ask Ryan to move the thread.

Dang, I am always posting in the wrong forum...

Should I start a new thread in the designers forum?

I'm on of the modelers and I think since you're not modeling yet and just inquiring and learning about the tools then this forum, the General RF9 forum, is probably the best for this particular thread. Once you start modeling something then you'll want to use the Developer's Forum.

I did ask Ryan if he would move the thread but I don't know if he will.

I started exploring Wings3D last night. I have a lot to learn so I may not post for a while anyway.

Appreciate the advice as always!

Back