Old dog, new tricks

Big Cliff

Well, this is all very new to me and being an old dog learning new tricks takes a lot of patience LOL. I am just getting started and want to learn to fly quads.

I bought a Latrax Alias as a starter on the advice of my local hobby shop, the best thing about it is that it seems almost indestructable LOL. A friend has suggested I get a simulator the Realflight Drone and I hope to pick that up this week. What I would really like to know is: will it, or is there a Latrax Alias file available?

All help and patience will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Big Cliff
I wish I was known as Big Cliff for the reasons I'd like to be known as BIG Cliff;)

Given that the Latrax is a Tower/Hobbico product, it may be included at some future time, but no one here will be able to give you more specifics.

However you can practice on any of the other similar quads in the sim to learn.

This model doesn't exist in RealFlight. However there's similar looking model, Heli max 1SQ. It's also not showing up as a model that RealFlight Drone comes with. You can get it in RealFlight 7.5 though.

RealFlight Drone is just a basic version of RealFlight 7.5. If you do some research in these forums, you will see that RealFlight 7.5 has much more to offer than RealFlight Drone. Customizing the models to fly more like the real aircraft is only possible in 7.5 as the Drone Edition has no editor. Almost all of aircraft in RealFlight Drone are already in RealFlight 7.5.

Thank you both so much for the welcome and the information. I think I'll be paying a visit to the hobby shop tomorrow and it looks like the extra cost of 7.5 would be money well spent!

Hang on there!

You can purchase the upgrade which is far less expensive than getting a whole new copy.

Tower Hobbies lists the upgrade on the web page. You MAY be able to purchase it at the Hobby shop too.

This gives you both RF 7.5 and the Drone version.

Hang on there!

You can purchase the upgrade which is far less expensive than getting a whole new copy.

Tower Hobbies lists the upgrade on the web page. You MAY be able to purchase it at the Hobby shop too.

This gives you both RF 7.5 and the Drone version.

If someone doesn't have any versions of realflight, I personally couldn't recommend them purchasing RealFlight Drone. Even if they want to just fly multirotors (which RealFlight 7.5 has most of already) , the ability to create variants of existing models is definitely something worth the price of admission. In this instance, the Helimax 1SQ is a model very close to what the OP wants doesn't exist in RealFlight Drone. With some editing, it could probably fly very close to exactly like the OPs quad which isn't something that can be done in Drone edition. The omission of the editor is a giant miss I think with Drone edition and something I believe should be added. It could still be "basic" with an editor, and not allow exporting of AV's and just allow local management of users created files. This would fix the issues people have with FPV racers too.

Just so you understand (as I was a bit confused)... if you buy RF Drone, you CAN buy the RF7.5 upgrade to have both products. RF7.5 is the more powerful of the two products and includes many features not available in RF Drone. Two multi-rotor aircraft, intelligent orientation and return to home features are missing from RF7.5. Please read Ryan's descriptions for more about the product.

You could always buy the Drone version first and upgrade later if you wish. It makes the most monetary sense because you will not have to pay for two controllers, like you would if you buy 7.5 first and then decide you want the drone version.

No mater what you choose, a simulator will save you money in the long run and make you a better pilot.

Last edited:
Well I did pick up 7.5 yesterday, it was on special for about $30.00 more than the Realflight drone edition and it will do what I need, got home and went to install it, no go.

I am running an older laptop with Vista however my DVD drive is only a single layer drive and can't read the disc. Guess I am going shopping again today for an external DVD drive :)

Might be nice if you could download the program directly from their website with a key code or something but you can't. Oh well, one step at a time!

You can transfer the disc to a USB thumb drive and install it that way. Just copy everything over to the drive, rename the thumb drive the same name that is on the DVD and install it that way.

Any further questions, you should start a new thread in the RealFlight 7 forum.

RF7.5 is the more powerful of the two products and includes many features not available in RF Drone. Two multi-rotor aircraft, intelligent orientation and return to home features are missing from RF7.5.

A quick clarification: RTH functionality exists in 7.5. The Flight Modes gadget is the other RF Drone feature that doesn't currently exist in 7.5.

You can transfer the disc to a USB thumb drive and install it that way. Just copy everything over to the drive, rename the thumb drive the same name that is on the DVD and install it that way.

Any further questions, you should start a new thread in the RealFlight 7 forum.

Thank you. Turned out it was a problem with my DVD drive, that has now been fixed and I am up and flying.

Back