One happy camper

Slammr

Boy, am I glad I found RF. I jut got into R/C for the first time ever about a month ago, when I bought a Blade Nano QX. Great little quad. I just wish I knew of more and better places to fly it, as the house is a little short on uncluttered space. The Blade 350 may be in my not-too far off future. My AMA card should be in the mail.
Anyway, I was at the LHS again a few days later, and was about 30 seconds away from buying an E-Flite Apprentice with some spare parts and some 2" upgrade wheels when I saw some kids futzing around with a monitor and a radio. I asked the rep what it was and he replied, "Oh, it's just an R/C simulator...no-one really uses it. It's really just good for practice." /Red flag goes up./ "Let's go ahead and get you rung up and then I can show you the simulator." :rolleyes:
I put the Apprentice box down and I sez, "I bleeve I'll go look at the simulator now, before I buy the plane."
Rep heaves a tiny sigh and tells me my merchandise will be waiting at the counter.
So I watch the kids for a bit until they get bored and I take their place. I put down roots there for about 20 minutes, maybe more. They've got the RF software locked behind glass, so I make a point of finding the same rep to get the RF package for me and ring me up. "Did you still want the Apprentice? It's a great newbie plane." "Just the useless simulator, please."
At any rate, I figure this sim will save me mucho dinero down the road. Very glad I bought it before I bought any aircraft. Either the Blade 350 or the Apprentice will be next on my list. :D

We enjoy hearing stories about people interacting with our product out in the real world, but it's not often that one makes me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the hobby. :) We hope you find RealFlight both useful and enjoyable for a long time to come.

The sim will in the long run save you much more money than it costs.

It will also teach you things and let you practice safely in the comfort of your home without risking your RC hardware.

I've seen the same approach from salespeople at LHS's, mostly because the salespeople are not plane flyers.

Welcome to the addiction!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, gents. :)
I have a few questions; is this the right forum (in a new thread for them?) I've done searches and haven't quite found the answers I'm looking for.

1. Does trim stay where you put it, even when changing planes? Is there a simple way to null it out?

2. Is there a way to adjust the deadzone and throw sensitivity of the controller sticks?

3. What are the approximate costs of the currently available Expansion Packs plus the Airplane and Heli Mega Packs? I can't seem to find more than a few of them together on any one site.

4. Is there a sheet anywhere that illustrates G tolerances between the different airframes? For that matter, a general info reference sheet would be awesome. I somehow ripped the wings off the NexSTAR EP doing pretty much pattern flying and maybe a couple of (ahem) pretty germane aerobatic maneuvers like chandelles, 360-degree rips, and maybe an outside loop).

5. There seems to be, for me at least, no telemetry on recording playback (i.e. no airspeed, alt AGL, etc.). Is there a switch I'm missing?

6. Are there any Blade 350 doppelgangers in the sim as yet?

7. Could someone point me to some decent obstacle courses? I saw one where you apparently had to climb a 500' tube at the very beginning. I enjoy challenges, but that bordered on the ridiculous.

8. Are there any decent missions for the Reaper? Seems a shame to have that much awesomeness at your fingertips and not much to do with it...

9. How big are the maps? What is the scale? Are there any topo files to d/l? It'd be pretty cool puddle-jumping cross-country in the Seawind or the Schneider Cup plane.

10. Most important question by far. I've got several thousand hours in MSFS, from the wire-frame version up to MSFS X, from the Storch to 744s to many planes in between. How do I get my left-brain/right-brain switch working? Please tell me it comes with time and practice. My approaches are so bad that an irate, starving, arthritic, vision-impaired chimpanzee would laugh scornfully. I'm flying full real physics, keep ground in view zoom mode, and typically fly the NexSTAR EP (non-AFS) which I'm assuming is the analogue to the E-Flite Apprentice. Should I set up Remember Aircraft Positions at logical approach turn points for different fields and learn from there?

Thanks,
Slammr

1. Does trim stay where you put it, even when changing planes? Is there a simple way to null it out?

If you use the Interlink, the trim is saved for each and every plane.

That means the trim settings stay with the particular plane or variant... a nice feature.

2. Is there a way to adjust the deadzone and throw sensitivity of the controller sticks?

If you are using the Interlink or allow software mixing, then effectively yes. These are controlled by parameters in the editor.

3. What are the approximate costs of the currently available Expansion Packs plus the Airplane and Heli Mega Packs? I can't seem to find more than a few of them together on any one site.

Some of the planes from the Expansion packs were incorporated into the Airplane and Heli Mega packs.

The original Expansion packs were designed for compatibility with Realflight 3 and up, later that was changed, and the first Expansion packs were removed from sale. Most of their content was updated and added to the Mega packs .

4. Is there a sheet anywhere that illustrates G tolerances between the different airframes? For that matter, a general info reference sheet would be awesome. I somehow ripped the wings off the NexSTAR EP doing pretty much pattern flying and maybe a couple of (ahem) pretty germane aerobatic maneuvers like chandelles, 360-degree rips, and maybe an outside loop).

I don't know of any.

G tolerances are not determined by a particular airframe.

Give me a real airframe and I often improve it's G tolerances by adding supports, re-inforcements, etc.

You can have the same effect by adjusting strength parameters in the editor...

9. How big are the maps? What is the scale? Are there any topo files to d/l? It'd be pretty cool puddle-jumping cross-country in the Seawind or the Schneider Cup plane.

The default 3D terrain has about 2500 sq miles ( I hope I have that figure right... ).

It is based upon GIS data from a portion of Southern Spain with an incorrect orientation.

The map is unpopulated with 3D objects, except for the autogen trees.

You could, if desired space two airports hundreds of miles apart.

10. Most important question by far. I've got several thousand hours in MSFS, from the wire-frame version up to MSFS X, from the Storch to 744s to many planes in between. How do I get my left-brain/right-brain switch working? Please tell me it comes with time and practice. My approaches are so bad that an irate, starving, arthritic, vision-impaired chimpanzee would laugh scornfully. I'm flying full real physics, keep ground in view zoom mode, and typically fly the NexSTAR EP (non-AFS) which I'm assuming is the analogue to the E-Flite Apprentice. Should I set up Remember Aircraft Positions at logical approach turn points for different fields and learn from there?

Heh, there is a WORLD of difference when you are sitting in a craft piloting it, versus piloting it remotely.

Try to control a full size or even 1/4 scale car via remote control, and you'll discover that is far more difficult, even though you may consider yourself an expert or good driver ( few people actually are! ).

A remote control car is far easier than an RC plane.

Yes it comes with time and practice.

A novice assumes that depth perception plays a vital role. In actuallity it rarely does. Your stereoscopic vision is pretty useless beyond 30 feet or so.

In the real world you utilize visual CUES, shadows, alignment to landmarks, etc.

In training new RC pilots, I have them align the aircraft down a flightline fence. Their initial reaction is that this is "too close" to themselves and they have a hard time believing they need to do that... once they do however, they make wonderful approaches....

Use similiar cues... edit the airport, and put up towers on either side of the runway threshold. This helps you gain orientation.

Fly the plane out until it is just a dot in the sky ( no zoom ) swirl the sticks around and try to fly a pattern solely by how that dot responds to your inputs. If this seems too difficult turn on smoke.

In the real world you will often get into situations where you have NO IDEA WHICH WAY THE PLANE IS ORIENTED... recovery from this involves establishing the plane's orientation not by visual cues, but by how it responds to stick inputs.

e.g. you pull back and the plane moves toward the ground, then the plane is upside down, etc...

Use the sim to learn that.

Eventually flight towards you and even landings will be almost second nature, but it takes time to get there....

Realflight offers a cheaper way of learning things, than beating up RC aircraft.

1: Trims are digital and independent for each model. The software will remember your trims when you load up again

2: for each model you can adjust expo in the advanced editor under the software radio section

3: Not sure of pricing Check tower hobby

4: there is not, that I am aware of

5: Not sure Someone else chime in?

6: https://forums.realflight.com/downloads.php and do a search

7: that is relative. Some find one more fun than another. I dont find any of them fun. I use it purely as practice

8: see #5

9: BIG!!! Its been tried to fly out to the edge of 3D fields. It can be done but you would be surprised.

10: Use the tutorial and lots of practice. I would suggest turning off all aids (binoculars etc.) and make it like you are at the field. Its a simulator. Use it to simulate being at the field. You are training muscle memory to react to visual inputs. Its come with time.

If you use the Interlink, the trim is saved for each and every plane.

That means the trim settings stay with the particular plane or variant... a nice feature.

If you are using the Interlink or allow software mixing, then effectively yes. These are controlled by parameters in the editor.

Some of the planes from the Expansion packs were incorporated into the Airplane and Heli Mega packs.

The original Expansion packs were designed for compatibility with Realflight 3 and up, later that was changed, and the first Expansion packs were removed from sale. Most of their content was updated and added to the Mega packs .

I don't know of any.

G tolerances are not determined by a particular airframe.

Give me a real airframe and I often improve it's G tolerances by adding supports, re-inforcements, etc.

You can have the same effect by adjusting strength parameters in the editor...

The default 3D terrain has about 2500 sq miles ( I hope I have that figure right... ).

It is based upon GIS data from a portion of Southern Spain with an incorrect orientation.

The map is unpopulated with 3D objects, except for the autogen trees.

You could, if desired space two airports hundreds of miles apart.

Heh, there is a WORLD of difference when you are sitting in a craft piloting it, versus piloting it remotely.

Try to control a full size or even 1/4 scale car via remote control, and you'll discover that is far more difficult, even though you may consider yourself an expert or good driver ( few people actually are! ).

A remote control car is far easier than an RC plane.

Yes it comes with time and practice.

A novice assumes that depth perception plays a vital role. In actuallity it rarely does. Your stereoscopic vision is pretty useless beyond 30 feet or so.

In the real world you utilize visual CUES, shadows, alignment to landmarks, etc.

In training new RC pilots, I have them align the aircraft down a flightline fence. Their initial reaction is that this is "too close" to themselves and they have a hard time believing they need to do that... once they do however, they make wonderful approaches....

Use similiar cues... edit the airport, and put up towers on either side of the runway threshold. This helps you gain orientation.

Fly the plane out until it is just a dot in the sky ( no zoom ) swirl the sticks around and try to fly a pattern solely by how that dot responds to your inputs. If this seems too difficult turn on smoke.

In the real world you will often get into situations where you have NO IDEA WHICH WAY THE PLANE IS ORIENTED... recovery from this involves establishing the plane's orientation not by visual cues, but by how it responds to stick inputs.

e.g. you pull back and the plane moves toward the ground, then the plane is upside down, etc...

Use the sim to learn that.

Eventually flight towards you and even landings will be almost second nature, but it takes time to get there....

Realflight offers a cheaper way of learning things, than beating up RC aircraft.
I just learnt so much reading this thanks for this reply I too am struggling with depth perception and scales ranging from full size planes I have downloaded to mini planes are making my brain even worse. I was considering the idea of buying a big 4k TV but am unsure if that will help as my problem doesnt change from using my small laptop or full HD tv. I am unable to fly around pylons without first range finding it by deliberately crashing into it then noting how far it is (I'm usually very far off) for every single pylon. I am very interested in your suggestion of the fence line but cant quite picture what you mean or your student's reaction of "no thats too close" I would love to understand if you could expand on that a little. I fly a HK Tundra with lots of expo at my oval or salt lakes without this issue except at dusk and when crossing in front of the sun. Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Back