One on one training for building RF model

Boof69

I had kind of an odd idea.
It is basically to offer someone to connect via skype a couple times a week to build a model. The meetings would include photoshop cutting up 3-view drawings, setting up image planes in 3ds Max, modeling the aircraft, making the collision mesh, mapping the geometry, naming parts, parenting parts, exporting the model from 3ds Max, importing into RF, setting up the wireframe model and physics in RF, and doing the CS including normal and spec maps. This would be an all inclusive training opportunity for the entire process for free!

Software requirements
  1. 3ds Max 2012
  2. PhotoShop (not elements)
  3. RealFlight 6.5
  4. Skype with headset
Recommended
  1. Multiple monitor setup or a secondary computer such as a laptop

I am requiring the software listed to match what I have to avoid confusion.
Skype is required for it's screen sharing capability. It does need a high speed internet connection so please have that too.
Multiple monitors are recommended to dedicate one monitor for Skype and the other for the programs being used.
I would like to start on this with someone who can meet the requirements ASAP.

!!Please only serious responses in this thread!!

Last edited:
Good idea, and a very nice / generous offer you've made.

I'd take you up on it, HOWEVER I don't have:

1. 3ds Max 2012 (have Max 8 or 9..been so long since I've modeld I don't even remember)
2. PhotoShop (not elements) (Have Corel)
3. RealFlight 6.5 (Have 4.5)
4. Skype with headset (Have a cell phone)

Come to think of it, the only thing I have on your list is multiple computers!:D

I just had to reply, mainly to say I hope someone does take you up on the offer. I can't think of anyone better to learn from.

Edit: Just noticed your "serious responses only" You'll have to forgive me for this reply I guess

I'd do it if I had the time. Also I am in the process of replacing my main desktop PC and won't have it running for a couple weeks. I would need photoshop too.

Perhaps by October/November though work should allow me more time off and that would allow me to be your pupil. :)

Last edited:
Me. I have some Ideas for some cool looking fantasy aircraft. also I'd like to
model some planes from the video games Crimson Skies and The Sky Crawlers.

You may want to also consider using something like teamviewer. It will allow you to see the desktop of the person your teaching and if necessary, you can instantly take over if you need to. It's free which is a plus and works great.

I commend thee on thy offer. Very generous.

There is now no excuses on not being able to learn to model. If anyone has the desire, now is the time to speak up. This will probably never happen again, and there's probably no one better to learn from.

I got a computer up and running. I am running stability tests for the next 24 hours. I will then download Max and get it installed. Where is photoshop available for download though?

The cheapest way that I know to have the full version of photoshop CS6 is to have a one year subscription for 19.99 a month or a month to month plan for 29.99.
You can read about it HERE

i commend thee on thy offer. Very generous.

There is now no excuses on not being able to learn to model. If anyone has the desire, now is the time to speak up. This will probably never happen again, and there's probably no one better to learn from.

+1!!

I did this a couple of times with Boof when I was having some issues with my models and found it tremendously helpful.

We would need to talk about our respective schedules to figure out the best times. I could start anytime really. You just need to get the software together and pm me your email and skype name.

working on the software now. I am going to do the PhotoShop monthly plan for now. Is there a specific version / edition I should choose?

Back