Online update problems (KEError 21081, KEError 24052)

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
This post addresses two different problems with similar causes. Please read each problem description very carefully before taking any action. Applying the incorrect solution for your particular problem could make things worse.

PROBLEM #1:
An online update attempt failed partway through. Subsequent attempts to update result in "KEError 21081: The requested functionality is not available."

SYMPTOMS:
  • You receive KEError 21081 when you try to update RealFlight.
  • One or both of the following files is missing from your computer:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge\CopyLaunch8.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge\LauncherHelper8.exe
  • You have antivirus software such as McAfee, Bitdefender, or Trend Micro running on your computer and providing some type of real-time/heuristic protection.
You may not even be aware that antivirus software is active on your computer, making both diagnosis now and prevention in the future more difficult. You may have to look hard to find it. But if one or both of the above files is missing it is almost certainly due to intervention by antivirus software.

AFFECTS:
Users who attempt an online update with antivirus software active.

SOLUTION:
Unquarantine the file(s) listed above, then try the online update again. Note: Next you may experience KEError 24052. If so, please skip down to the Problem #2 section!

PREVENTION:
Please either disable all antivirus software during online updates in the future or add exceptions for the files/directories above as appropriate, depending on your level of comfort and technical knowledge. Please understand that we are not in a position to provide exact instructions for your specific antivirus software. You may need to refer to its documentation for additional assistance.

PROBLEM #2:
An online update attempt failed partway through. Subsequent attempts to update result in "KEError 24052: Unrecognized online update method."

SYMPTOMS:
  • You receive KEError 24052 when you try to update RealFlight.
  • You may have tried the Restore Defaults option or even uninstalling and reinstalling the software, without improvement.
  • One or both of the following files is missing from your computer:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge\CopyLaunch8.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge\LauncherHelper8.exe
  • You have antivirus software such as McAfee, Bitdefender, or Trend Micro running on your computer and providing some type of real-time/heuristic protection.
You may not even be aware that antivirus software is active on your computer, making both diagnosis now and prevention in the future more difficult. You may have to look hard to find it. But if one or both of the above files is missing it is almost certainly due to intervention by antivirus software.

AFFECTS:
Users who attempt to update from version 8.00.013 with antivirus software active. (Do not follow these steps if you were running a more recent version than 8.00.013 prior to the error. This fix is not designed for you.)

SOLUTION:
  • Exit all RealFlight software, including the Launcher.
  • Download this manual 8.00.019 update (50 MB).
  • Run the downloaded installer and follow the prompts. It will update you to version 8.00.019, which as a byproduct will fix your problem.
PREVENTION:
Once you have followed the solution steps above and are no longer running version 8.00.013, you should never find yourself in this exact situation again. If antivirus software quarantines the above files in the future, simply removing them from quarantine and retrying the update should work. Note that reinstalling RealFlight 8 could land you back here if you don't take steps to avoid the problem as described below, however.

Please either disable all antivirus software during online updates in the future or add exceptions for the files/directories above as appropriate, depending on your level of comfort and technical knowledge. Please understand that we are not in a position to provide exact instructions for your specific antivirus software. You may need to refer to its documentation for additional assistance.

Success! (with one added step)

Ryan,

Thank you so much! Your above tips eliminated the KEErrer 24052 message and got me to the actual download window, which announced the 43.6 MB file.

When I clicked on the download button, this new message came up:

KEError 12233 "Error creating file on disk. Make sure you have enough disk space."

Well, I have plenty of disc space, so I knew that wasn't the real problem. So just on a hunch, I clicked on the "Clear Cache" button and viola, the download worked!

:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks again!

I received my copy of RF8 yesterday.

Thanks to this notice of issues some were having with anti Virus software affecting RF updates (I have McAfee) I was prepared to sort out the problems. But I thought I would try to avoid them if possible. Knowing that there were issues with McAfee flagging certain files during the install and update process I turned off the "Real Time Scanning" feature of McAfee before I began the install.

It went through the install, registration and update without a hitch!

Thank you for the quick posting of help for these potential issues!

Jim

Thanks for the feedback!

The original post walked people through a series of steps to manually repair their 8.00.013 installation and avoid encountering the same problem when reattempting the update to 8.00.019. It has now been updated with a more elegant and helpful solution.

It has also been expanded to cover the potential situation where users in the future who may have a more recent version could encounter the same basic antivirus software problem, but for whom an update to 8.00.019 would be counterproductive (and even break things).

Glad to hear it! Though I wouldn't expect this particular problem to manifest until attempting an online update. Still, we do officially recommend disabling AV software during installation. It's hard to predict when/where it will strike. And when it does, it sometimes leaves things in a ugly, even unrecoverable, state.

Pardon me... I meant the full process of installing and updating went without a hitch. Norton was on the entire time. No events or errors were noted so far in the use of RF8.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the update! Hopefully that means other Norton users will also not see any problems.

hi just got rf8 after many years but I cannot update to version 23 from 19 there is no option these two don't show on the launcher Select Additional Options.
Select Registration/Updates." so where do I go from here thank you, ok update I looked through the files on the disk and found the launcher this has the update link on it but get the error keerror 12212 and 21039 I disabled the firewalls and anti virus (bitdefender) still no joy help please thanks again

Last edited:
ok its 2022 how do i update ,i installed realflight 8 on my new system and get the keerror24052 and all the update links are broke . how do i update using steam ,steam just wants to sell me the game ,wont recognize i already own it ?

I'd suggest following the steps described in this thread. Steam has absolutely nothing to do with it. AFAIK, there's never been a Steam version of RF8. The updater is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight8\Launcher8.exe" under Technical Support. The current version is 8.00.056.

You might try running RF8 in the administrator mode and/or try updating only one version up at a time - in a sequence.

Running launcher8 as an administrator is probably a good idea. And thinking back, I think that if there's an update available, there will be a link in the launcher's main menu to install the update without having to go through the Tech Support link. I think the update link disappears from the launcher's main menu if you're already running the latest version. I'm not SURE, but I think you can update directly to the latest version without doing sequential updates to each version that's been available. But I could be wrong since I updated to each new version as they became available. I didn't skip any versions. You know, I could be wrong about THAT, too. I think I installed a copy on my newest laptop (4th gen i7) & went straight to the latest one from the one that was installed from the DVD. I have RF 8 installed on my 2 laptops and my desktop, but it's been quite a while since I actually used my older 1st gen i5 laptop.

Just a bit ago, in response to this thread, I went to the launcher to try the upgrade. I was suspecting the server might be down, but no it wasn't. I had a choice of all the versions of RF 8. When I picked the latest, it did tell me it was already installed, so didn't go further. The links in the message #1 from Ryan above are broken, however.

Last time I installed RF 8 on another machine, I went right away to the latest update, and all was fine. No need to step through the in between ones.
Launch the Launcher, click on "Technical Support", wait a while - it can take some time to start up, at the bottom of the screen go to "Online Updates" and pick version 8.00.056

I suspect that the links still point to knifeedge.com instead of realflight.com. They might have been missed when Horizon moved the web site from KE to RF. AFAIK, thay'd probably work if you substitute RF for KE in the link.
My memory problem is that I've run RF2,3,5,7,&8. So I sometimes mess up exactly which version I'm thinking of. I can't remember for sure whether I started with RF2 or whether I ever ran the original version or not. I usually upgrade about every 2nd version. I tried RFX but only got 2-6fps on my (then) GT430. Tower let me unregister & trade in my virgin copy of X for 8. I've since upgraded my video to a GTX-960. I'm undecided whether I'll do the new RF Evolution. I think it's still using DX9, so I'll probably wait until they get away from that & go to at least DX12. I'll wait til the guys I trust here are using the new version to make a final decision.

Back