Onshape

Interesting question. Unfortunately, the answer is no, not directly. Onshape is a CAD software. That's great for design, and I would love to see better CAD style integration with the free and paid 3D/4D softwares that are necessary for RF's use. You could certainly use it to build the solids and surfaces, but RF also requires a parenting style parts tree, as well as defined pivot axes, and a few other things that just aren't a part of the CAD world. CAD is primarily targeted at getting a virtual object into the real world so it can be used and manipulated. RF relies on the more complex problem of taking both the real world and the virtual world and getting them to play well together in a virtual environment that, more or less, accurately replicates real world motion and interaction. The remote part of RC makes this the perfect application for this effort because you don't physically interact with the vehicles for the funnest parts of the process anyway.

I'll be happy to help you along the path of making the jump from CAD to 3D/4D if you want. There is a fairly good body of knowledge about what RF needs to have and how to create it, but it isn't always easy to find info when you don't know what to look for or the terms of art to use.

Interesting question. Unfortunately, the answer is no, not directly. Onshape is a CAD software. That's great for design, and I would love to see better CAD style integration with the free and paid 3D/4D softwares that are necessary for RF's use. You could certainly use it to build the solids and surfaces, but RF also requires a parenting style parts tree, as well as defined pivot axes, and a few other things that just aren't a part of the CAD world. CAD is primarily targeted at getting a virtual object into the real world so it can be used and manipulated. RF relies on the more complex problem of taking both the real world and the virtual world and getting them to play well together in a virtual environment that, more or less, accurately replicates real world motion and interaction. The remote part of RC makes this the perfect application for this effort because you don't physically interact with the vehicles for the funnest parts of the process anyway.

I'll be happy to help you along the path of making the jump from CAD to 3D/4D if you want. There is a fairly good body of knowledge about what RF needs to have and how to create it, but it isn't always easy to find info when you don't know what to look for or the terms of art to use.
You mentioned pivoting, I am making a sherman vc firefly, if the turret could move, great, but if not, it don't matter.

Back