Orion G801

Donamy, keep trying and learning. Four months at the learning curve, and you did very well.

I loved working on the plane.

I'm not trying to out due anyone, just enjoy modifying planes to my liking, sometimes adding features or color schemes. Then posting my variants for others of like mind.

I would like to design planes, but the cost of the software ($1500.00) keeps me at bay. So I take to modifying the works of others as my past time.

I don't receive comments or request for changes, but keep at it for my pleasure.

So, please keep going so we can all enjoy !!!

PilotAt6, wings3D is a free program you can use for modeling, as far as 3D programs go it`s pretty easy to use once you get a little practice under your belt MAX also has what they call a "student version" for free but more difficult to learn, ultimately, I`m pretty sure your model would have to be transferred into MAX to set up/ do some things that you can`t do in wings3D, if you do a google search, you will be able to find either one or maybe one of the modelers will chime in here and leave a link, I could probably do that, just not sure if I`d connect you with right link.:p:p:D

Ax also has what they call a student version

Last edited:
I use AC3D. It's only $80.00 and it very easy to use. Great for designing and polishing your model ...but alas, you still need MAX to get it into RF.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have Wings 3D and others. But if I understand, 3ds MAX is $1550.00 per year !!!

Would the student version get the aircraft into Real Flight configuration, or do you still need 3ds Max for that ???

Thanks for the feedback.

I have Wings 3D and others. But if I understand, 3ds MAX is $1550.00 per year !!!

Would the student version get the aircraft into Real Flight configuration, or do you still need 3ds Max for that ???

PilotAt6, wings and MAX have been the most widely used modeling programs in RF since I can remember, some use Wings because it`s more "user friendly" when/while modeling, others have used only MAX....When you use Wings to model, at some after you`re done modeling, you must transfer yours planes file into MAX to finish doing some things that you can`t do in Wings, one of which is getting your model into RF,.....AND YES the student version will get your model into RF...It`s FREE, the only thing you have to is "agree" to their terms of use which requires only a left button click on your mouse, basically, the terms of use state that you`re not going use the program to make money and/or use it at work for company use and/or profit, long story short ..push "agree" and you`ll get the download so you use MAX student version for FREE :D:D Modeler`s here will help you with the transfer if you need the help.

Sorry but after thinking about this a bit more.

UT. Now this is funny you complain about tons of details on another modelers planes but not this one but I guess that's because you wanted this modeler to create a plane for you.

BTW You ask where you said you did it, so here's where you said it, which you denied later. You said we should handle this in PMs but all the stuff I've talked about was done in the public eye so being called out for it should be in the public eye too. And at the time I called you out then too. You're being hypocritical with this modeler vs another. Oh, you wanted him to model your plane I forgot. Oh I love that tough love cop out.

Have I been harsh at times /offered constructive criticism....yes.

NOW, I`m not denying that I was very harsh to a particular individual (I`d prefer to call it "tough love" in this particular case )

Wings and MAX

Thanks for the info UT !!!

I take it then that most are using the student version?

I thought Full MAX version was needed.
So I guess I will download the student version and try my hand at a rudimentary plane design.

May take a while ... don't know what MAX needs.
I'll need to study the tutorials first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info UT !!!

I take it then that most are using the student version?

I thought Full MAX version was needed.
So I guess I will download the student version and try my hand at a rudimentary plane design.

May take a while ... don't know what MAX needs.
I'll need to study the tutorials first.

Well, I can`t say exactly what version of MAX most are using, but to the the best of my knowledge everyone here in RF is using the student version of MAX or wings along with MAX. As far as learning MAX, There was a modeler here in RF (BOOF) that did several tutorials using wings, and he build what he called a "box flyer", I know they were on you tube, and probably still are ?? you can probably do a search here in RF and find the link, I know it`s been posted several times in posts, or you can try a google search, or a you tube search, a google search may lead to a you tube tute/vid. ?? try using "box flyer" for your search words or "box flyer you tube" , I really just don`t know :eek:. Hopefully someone else will read this and post the link too them, they`re extremely helpful and helped me very much my with first AND one and only model.

Thanks UT and asj for the info.
I just downloaded MAX student edition, selected "Classis" mode and it seems to boot OK.
The link for the tutorial worked for me and a watched a portion.

I will have a winter project, and a lot of learning and experimenting to do.

Here are the first 5 of 10 tutorial video's from Scott Nichols (Boof69) building the Acro sport biplane. All done in 3DS Max.
A goldmine of information, will either inspire you or deter you from modelling, realising how much time and effort goes into a model. !!!
https://youtu.be/IX5aHbVxmAA
https://youtu.be/y3ud92-JZHc
https://youtu.be/dD8bMtH3Xf4
https://youtu.be/zxk9u7LvUm4
https://youtu.be/Xx0JN1J8lJQ
Thanks for finding them asj, I tried cleaning out my cookies might have done something wrong ????:p but they still won`t play for me ?? I`ll get figured out..;);):D

Thanks !!!

Thanks for all the links asj.
Thanks UT for getting this moving.

Got a lot of work to do now, just to get half as good as those providing models on this forum !!!

Thanks for all the links asj.
Thanks UT for getting this moving.

Got a lot of work to do now, just to get half as good as those providing models on this forum !!!
You`re welcome, I try to help where I can, you`ll find those tutes the most helpful in regards to modeling a plane for RF using 3ds MAX, simply because they`re aircraft oriented, but you`ll probably find other tutes (that aren`t aircraft oriented) helpful as well. good luck, and most of all be patient, there is a lot to learn using MAX, thus, the reason people model in wings (easier to learn) and finish off in MAX.

I have been using Wings3D for modelling, yes it is easier to use than 3DSMax, but wings3d has some strange settings, like when setting up the model the tail points down the Z axis (not the nose) and when exporting you have to remember to swap the Y and Z axis for import into 3DSMAX.
I built one model with the nose down the Z axis in Wings3D and did not notice until I imported into MAX, of course it was completely unusable, had to start all over again.
So now I am learning to model in 3DSMAX to avoid such problems.

AC3D doesn't have that problem, but learning MAX is the way to go.

I would have to agree, MAX is the way to go Pilot, as for me, not being computer savvy at all ,I found it a little to intimidating for the grey matter in my head though :eek::eek: it really is a great program for modeling, just stick with it.;);)

Back