Panning/Tilting camera issues

uncle twist

Hi Ryan, Recently I uploaded an F-86 AV to the swaps, of which (with Legoman`s help) I installed a panning/tilting camera in the cockpit view position with, all worked fine, on the ground or in the air, except for one thing, there`s a ton of shaking going on (think ten on the Richter scale), which you see from that camera position (obviously) as well as in the editor (always) ,but especially noticeable when the camera is highlighted within it. SO, Legoman recommended switching the "simulated head movement" from NO to YES (within the cameras perimeters), WHICH, did help a ton, EXCEPT NOW, the camera doesn`t pan/tilt when the plane is airborne, (fine on the ground though), despite 2-3 degrees of rotation in either direction, depending on which way you`re panning. It goes without saying that all other cameras work fine, So, apparently it has something to do with the "moveable pod" attached to the camera..??? I would guess..??...Regardless, it`s an issue that should be addressed. If you and the team could take a look at this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. ....Thanks;):)

Hi Ryan, Recently I uploaded an F-86 AV to the swaps, of which (with Legoman`s help) I installed a panning/tilting camera in the cockpit view position with, all worked fine, on the ground or in the air, except for one thing, there`s a ton of shaking going on (think ten on the Richter scale), which you see from that camera position (obviously) as well as in the editor (always) ,but especially noticeable when the camera is highlighted within it. SO, Legoman recommended switching the "simulated head movement" from NO to YES (within the cameras perimeters), WHICH, did help a ton, EXCEPT NOW, the camera doesn`t pan/tilt when the plane is airborne, (fine on the ground though), despite 2-3 degrees of rotation in either direction, depending on which way you`re panning. It goes without saying that all other cameras work fine, So, apparently it has something to do with the "moveable pod" attached to the camera..??? I would guess..??...Regardless, it`s an issue that should be addressed. If you and the team could take a look at this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. ....Thanks;):)
I was going to say make sure simulated head movement was set to no and not yes. I was confused when you said yes fixed it so I thought you had figured you something I had not.

Is the signal noisy going to the moveable pod that could cause the shake. Is the near plane distance set very low less than .075 feet. That can cause camera shake in long fpv flight.

I have not tested shock mount for the range and limit try setting shock mount enabled to no if it is all ready no then it would not be the shock mount

I was going to say make sure simulated head movement was set to no and not yes. I was confused when you said yes fixed it so I thought you had figured you something I had not.

Is the signal noisy going to the moveable pod that could cause the shake. Is the near plane distance set very low less than .075 feet. That can cause camera shake in long fpv flight.

I have not tested shock mount for the range and limit try setting shock mount enabled to no if it is all ready no then it would not be the shock mount
Hey Legoman..:) In regards to your first comment, with the simulated head movement set to "YES", that stopped the shaking, AND, the pan/tilt worked fine on thee runway, BUT, a small amount of rotation comes along when the panning left to right, but not tilt, THUS, I thought all was well. SO, I released the plane. My bad was not testing it in the air, I didn`t do that until after I released it "My Bad", that`s when I found out the panning doesn`t work in the air, when I pan in the air, it just rotates left or right about approx. 3 degrees +/-,....tilt is OK...With the sim. head movement set to "NO", pan/tilt works great, BUT, there`s all the shaking,, sorry for the confusion..:( Regarding your second comment....I can`t find anything in the editor pertaining/relating to a "noisy signal" in the moveable pod,....the "near plane distance" is set at .10 Third comment....the shock mount is set "NO"

Hey Legoman..:) In regards to your first comment, with the simulated head movement set to "YES", that stopped the shaking, AND, the pan/tilt worked fine on thee runway, BUT, a small amount of rotation comes along when the panning left to right, but not tilt, THUS, I thought all was well. SO, I released the plane. My bad was not testing it in the air, I didn`t do that until after I released it "My Bad", that`s when I found out the panning doesn`t work in the air, when I pan in the air, it just rotates left or right about approx. 3 degrees +/-,....tilt is OK...With the sim. head movement set to "NO", pan/tilt works great, BUT, there`s all the shaking,, sorry for the confusion..:( Regarding your second comment....I can`t find anything in the editor pertaining/relating to a "noisy signal" in the moveable pod,....the "near plane distance" is set at .10 Third comment....the shock mount is set "NO"

Hmm if you slow the servo a lot (for testing) multi second Servo travel. Does that stabilize it at any? If yes check the input to the servo in the radio tab of the editor even a one percent signal bounce in the signal can shake the camera badly. If slowing down the servo does not help or change the shaking. you may still want to glance at the input for the servo in the radio tab.

I am sadly away from an internet connection for the PC at the moment other wise I would take a look at the plane.

If it is a noisy signal at a flat spot in the input channel near center that is the worst spot for me for the sliders and gimbals. Recalibrating the remote might help or it might not.

I reread your intial post and if you can see the camera shaking in the editor that is a noisy signal. Maybe noisy is the wrong way to describe it a sub par potentiometer or similar.

Well, I tried playing with panning servo speed, both pan and tilt are already set at a low speed (.10), SO, I increased the #/speed instead and oddly enough, it only slowed the panning down, if I go full lft/rt with the slider, it takes a long time for the camera to get there, the higher the #, the slower it goes AND is hard to center (look straight ahead), BUT good news, the shaking goes away with a higher value set in place whereas, the lower the # the better the camera keeps up with the slider input, .10 is a great setting for that, the camera does as expected when commanded to so by the slider input. Sadly it comes with the shaking......The radio was recently calibrated (within the last two weeks) as far as a potentiometer goes on the radio, it really hasn`t had a ton of use as of late, especially the sliders.....still not sure what you`re explaining about signal bounce...???

I would use a speed between .3 and .5 digital servo maybe a .6 if the travel is more than 90 degrees On the camera. I get slightly motion sick if I whip the camera too fast

Changing the input channel for testing purposes might let you know of the input is noisy or oscillating.

Check the radio tab and see if any of these number change, fluctuate, or oscillate without touching the remote. Maybe wiggle the sliders and recheck

IMG_20220428_192223188.jpg

In the radio tab of the editor. Click software radio. (The button above "output channel 1")

OK, got it, well everything is flickering, but none of the values are changing. When I move the sliders the values do change, as I would have expected.

When it flickers it means it at least one channel is updating. Each flicker is an update to the GUI (graphical user interface) caused by an input changing on the interlink at least on that screen, the engine flickers during rpm changes or vp prop pitch adjustments.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that`s what was causing the flickering, it was mentioned in the forums long ago...I`m beginning to believe that there`s nothing that can be done to fix this camera issue. Right now with the sim. head movement set in the "no" setting, and the servo speed set at 1.5, the shaking isn`t that bad, BUT, the movement of the camera panning doesn`t match the slider input, the camera still moves to fast, and it`s all centered around the middle of the slider, in other words, I can go full left or right with just a couple clicks on the slider in either direction, and that`s not what I`m looking for. I want it to go full left or right when I move the slider full lft/rt, as I`m sure you already know.. The camera movement is fine with a lower (.10 - .30) speed setting, but then there`s all the shaking UGH..!!!

I tried your AV in 9.5s and there is no shaking on the camera either when flying or in the editor???
I'm using an FrSky QX7S with an FrSky XSR-SIM dongle. I mapped the two rotating dials on the radio to the camera pan & tilt channels and it works fine.

HA, well I`m glad to hear that it works for you Philmoz, that`s for sure.. :) :) đź‘Ť,, But I want it to work for everyone, no matter what controller they`re using, thus this thread.. It`s been driving me nuts.. ARGH.!!!, Anyway, I hope you`re enjoying it, hope you got the CS as well, I think it`s one of my better ones.. :)....Don`t forget to give them a "like"..;)

Yeah, I was pretty sure that`s what was causing the flickering, it was mentioned in the forums long ago...I`m beginning to believe that there`s nothing that can be done to fix this camera issue. Right now with the sim. head movement set in the "no" setting, and the servo speed set at 1.5, the shaking isn`t that bad, BUT, the movement of the camera panning doesn`t match the slider input, the camera still moves to fast, and it`s all centered around the middle of the slider, in other words, I can go full left or right with just a couple clicks on the slider in either direction, and that`s not what I`m looking for. I want it to go full left or right when I move the slider full lft/rt, as I`m sure you already know.. The camera movement is fine with a lower (.10 - .30) speed setting, but then there`s all the shaking UGH..!!!
Did you calibrate the sliders in the controller calibration? It sounds like no

The only time I calibrate the controller is when it automatically pops up on the screen asking me to do so, which did happen about three weeks ago, and everything was centered on the graph that`s on the screen. Oddly, I just tried it again, and everything was centered at 50 +/- 1 pt. and when I clicked on "finish", it said that "I had only calibrated 5 of the 7, do you still want to finish", SO, I click the "NO" box", and checked again, all looked good, so this time ,I just finished.

Hi @uncle twist, I need to sign off for the night but wanted to drop in and let you know I saw this thread. I haven't been able to delve in and digest it yet, but I see there has been a fair amount of activity since your original post. Is the OP still an accurate description of the issues you're encountering and a good place for me to start when I have a little more time, or has the picture changed?

Hi @uncle twist, I need to sign off for the night but wanted to drop in and let you know I saw this thread. I haven't been able to delve in and digest it yet, but I see there has been a fair amount of activity since your original post. Is the OP still an accurate description of the issues you're encountering and a good place for me to start when I have a little more time, or has the picture changed?
Hi Ryan, Yes things are still the same as far as I know/can tell, I haven`t played with the issue lately. Try the AV and see what happens,...Legoman suggested that I recalibrate my TX, which I tried doing in RF, and things remained the same, SOOOOOO, (stupid me) try's to recalibrate the TX in Windows, (which is really confusing) things didn`t happen as I would have expected/liked. Long story short, now my TX isn`t calibrated, and when I`ve tried, the gimbals and graphs are twitching/jumping/moving around all over the place in RF and windows while trying to recalibrate it, and I can`t center the gimbals at all while trying to calibrate, So now, I can't fly :(:(, and I`m wondering if I need a new TX or calibrating things wrong :unsure: :unsure: ....Anyway, thanks for the reply, looking forward to hearing back.

@uncle twist can you sent me the ini file for realflight and let me know if you are using a X or DX remote. or open up the ini and copy paste the section that looks like (see below).

I suspect that min, max, center for 8 and 9 are very close together so slight movement of the sliders are causing a large change in output. the dx will be different numbers. the dx will be different numbers and the channel numbers are 13-14 i think?

Code:
[Control|InterLinkXJoystick|Any]
Center0=INT:122
Center1=INT:132
Center2=INT:127
Center3=INT:126
Center4=INT:127
Center5=INT:127
Center6=INT:127
Center7=INT:127
Center8=INT:129
Center9=INT:132
ChannelMapName=STRING:InterLink
ManualCalibration=BOOL:Yes
Max0=INT:236
Max1=INT:231
Max2=INT:228
Max3=INT:231
Max4=INT:255
Max5=INT:255
Max6=INT:255
Max7=INT:255
Max8=INT:216
Max9=INT:226
Min0=INT:16
Min1=INT:13
Min2=INT:34
Min3=INT:21
Min4=INT:0
Min5=INT:0
Min6=INT:0
Min7=INT:0
Min8=INT:32
Min9=INT:37

Well, I don`t know how to navigate to the ini file, if you want to give me a clue, I might/should be able to get there and copy/paste for you, remember, I`m not to computer savvy, As far as the TX, it`s the InterLink DX with a usb cable plugged into the computer. The sliders are very twitchy as are my gimbals, all the movement (lft/rt) happens within a few clicks of center with the sliders, no need to go FULL lft/rt on the sliders, and the gimbals are just all over the place in RF while trying to calibrate, I can`t center them at all when they`re showing the TX in the first step, they`re moving all over the place.

Well, I don`t know how to navigate to the ini file, if you want to give me a clue, I might/should be able to get there and copy/paste for you, remember, I`m not to computer savvy, As far as the TX, it`s the InterLink DX with a usb cable plugged into the computer. The sliders are very twitchy as are my gimbals, all the movement (lft/rt) happens within a few clicks of center with the sliders, no need to go FULL lft/rt on the sliders, and the gimbals are just all over the place in RF while trying to calibrate, I can`t center them at all when they`re showing the TX in the first step, they`re moving all over the place.
Open the ini file in notepad then Control+f to open a search. Then search center8. That should bring you to the correct section. If you have used different interlinks then there may be two or more occurrences of center8.

Back