Pay someone?

This may seem like a strange request, but does anyone know someone who is very good at creating models, other than the developers of course? I would be willing to pay someone a reasonable fee (not sure what that would be) to create an accurate model of my 3D trainer plane (including visual 3D model). I found one that's fairly close as a stock plane (E3D), but of course, it probably doesn't fly (and certainly doesn't look) like my real plane, the Volantex Saber 920.

It would take me far too long to learn the necessary 3D modeling tools and RF physics to do this myself.

To be honest, what you "See" in realflight has absolutely no bearing on how a model flies in realflight. I have a Yak 54 with Helicopter physics and it flies like an helicopter...lol. The graphics model isn't what flies in realflight, it is the Physics model and that means any aircraft can be tweaked and adjusted to fly like any other aircraft. What would be the best thing for you is to have someone create a Colorscheme, of your aircraft, and put it on a model that already exists that is very close to what you have, and by looking at what a Saber 920 is, I would imagine there is already something close to that and besides, once its 20-30 ft. away and flying it won't be noticeable at all. Once it is painted to look like your aircraft, adjusting the physics to your aircraft, including weights, lengths and locations of parts, and the type of airfoil, and motor can be adjusted on the model to essentially be your aircraft. Nobody except yourself would be able to fine tune the model to match what you have, unless they have the same model but it can be really close with just the specs of what you have in the editor.

Yes, I realize the look of the model and colors are just cosmetic. I've edited the E3D model to the limits of my understanding, but I don't know how to edit some of the less obvious parts to be closer to the Saber 920. And to further complicate things for me, some of the configuration settings on my modified E3D are asking for parameters that I can't find online for the Saber 920. I supposed, that's a separate problem and would be the same problem for someone else creating the Saber 920 for me as well. I also wish there was a more comprehensive manual for the model editor, but there doesn't appear to be one.

I agree completely with what csgill said. And as I've said before, I don't think EXACTLY matching your real-life aircraft is all that important, as long as it's reasonably similar. If you're already an expert, you might be able to detect the differences. If you've a beginner, only major differences will be noticable. But the simulator is MOST helpful in training your eye, reflexes, & thumbs. Choose an aircraft of the same general type... size/weight/power/style. A pattern plane flies like a pattern plane. A warbird flies like a warbird. A trainer flies like a trainer. A mini park flier doesn't fly like any of them. You aren't likely to crash a P40 simply because it isn't the P51 you're familiar with. If the only plane you know how to fly is a trainer, you might crash that P40 because it's faster, heavier, responds much differently than the trainer. And warbirds tend to glide like rocks. The simulator will save you a lot of money if you use it to learn about different types of aircraft.

You actually have all the parameters needed - the real model you are flying!
I'll be brief, as I've typed longer "how to's" previously, which with some digging you should be able to find.
Find an existing model that has the same look as your real. Doesn't have to be exact, and doesn't need to be the same size. Nicer if it has the same kind of power (electric, glow, gas, etc.).
Make a copy. Then find the settings to increase the graphical scale, so the wingspan is the same as your real. If flown, it will fly very badly.
Go into the aircraft editor, and start changing as much as you can to match your model. Part dimensions, weights, airfoils, positions of the components relative to each other, etc. It will take a bit to get familiar with the coordinate system. Yes, there will be a bunch of settings that you may not know what they do. But give it your best guess, or keep what is there if you are really confounded. I do this pretty often - back and forth from the plane to the computer with various measurements. You can add any kind of component (extra wings!), or take away any component that is not on your model. For part weights, estimate, and then use the overall adjustment to get the model to end up being the same as the real. Test fly, and adjust CG for best flight - due to your estimating, it may not end up in the same place as your real model.
If you can get most of the main part sizes, and the placement of the major parts, it will fly very close to the real thing. It will still LOOK like the original. A redone color scheme will help hide that fact.
Without a detailed reference, as you noted, any other person trying to design it would not have access to as much information as you do, unless they also owned the model. So while they may make a nice flying plane, it may not be any more "real-life" than just using one you found that is already done and sort-of-close.
I've actually used my self-created versions to test various fixes if the real is not flying right. And many times after testing in RF, they work very well in the real model!

Very good feedback from all of you. It sounds like I've been on the right track already by modifying the E3D which was the closest to my Saber 920. I'll continue to go that route as best I can.

The other critical component for me is using my own transmitter as a controller. I didn't get into this here because I already started another thread on that.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks again Flapper! I have Evolution as well but in my case, I bought 9.5S recently enough for Evolution to be a free upgrade for me, so that took no deep thinking. :)

Try these. I promise you'll like them

Attachments

• AeroScout (Interlink) by RCFS_AV.RFX
    51 KB · Views: 2
  • Apprentice STS (InterLink) by RCFS_AV.RFX
    46.7 KB · Views: 1
  • T-28B 1-1m (InterLink) by RCFS_AV.RFX
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • T-28C 2m (InterLink) by RCFS_AV.RFX
    875.3 KB · Views: 0
Back