Plan R-F 9.5 Install soon.

SPQR33

I’m new to RC flying and to this forum. I just received the Real Flight 9.5 Sim to practice and gain muscle memory over the winter. I put the DVD into my drive, and before I could navigate to the Manual, my Norton 360 blew a gasket about some “Huersetup.exe” file. And now, though the DVD was ejected, I’m getting hourly Alerts about this unresolved “threat”. I do not have Windows Defender firewall engaged. I’m now prepping my Win-7 Home Premium 4 GHz, 10-Gb RAM machine to do the install: Empty recycle bin, full manual defrag, closing all applications, running a Seagate back-up, and setting a restore point. From reading past posts, I put the “Launcher9.exe” file into both Norton Exclusion lists. And I plan to run “msconfig” to turn off all running programs except Microsoft OS vital stuff. Do I need to do anything more to prevent a failed install?

This is a false positive caused by the way they coded a couple of files so there's no danger of a virus. Normally you need to whitelist (exclude) two files Launcher9.exe and Launcher9Helper.exe so your AntiVirus won't pick them up. If they've been moved to quarantine already tell your antivirus to restore them. But you need to add them to your AntiVirus whitelist (exclude) so it won't pick them up as a virus. Then just install RealFlight again and it should be okay.

There's no need to back up or defrag it's just a false positive. Knifeedge has been working with the AntiVirus people to get them to fix the false positive and Windows Defender is already fixed and working okay on my computer. So hang in there help is coming soon.

From a post I seen from Ryan Douglas (knifeedge) an update is due probably in a few hours, but of course you still need to do that stuff to get RealFlight installed. But the update will fix the false positive (hopefully).

My thanks. I'll add that 2nd .exe filename to my Norton's exclusion list. As to the other stuff, I always do a full system maintenance set to my machine when doing a large install. Best to prep for anything. I also noticed in the manual that when running this Sim, I should always close all programs / apps, and turn off any anti-virus. I have found this to be sound advice. Way back, I was an outside missions and performance developer on MS CFS3, thru the Sim Outhouse Group. Running msconfig gave the best game play. I plan to do same with RF9.5. I have a H-H E-flite x1.2m Night Timber, added the Fwd slats and a 11x7 3-blade prop from Master Airscrew. and have the Spect DX8-G2 radio, with flaps/elev on "D", prop rev on "A", and SAFE/AS3X on "H". Throttle stick set as stiff ratchet. Awaiting the buddy-box cable to use my radio. Anxious to get her in the air, but flying sims first seems prudent. Wish me luck.

After doing all of the above maintenance sets, using “ msconfig “ to turn off everything but MS OS vitals, and first plugging in the InterLink DX controller to get its software loaded, and keeping my Internet router active, this install went rather smoothly but took about an hour.. As did the registration, but not the latest updates. Seems even when turned off, Norton 360 is a big bother, that when turned Off, it turns itself back On. Someone needs to tell Norton 360 to grow a pair. I can’t find Launcher9Helper.exe file anywhere to get updates from RF 9.5.015 to the latest 9.5.024. I did select my Night Timber, calibrated the DX, and did a take-off, vector around, and did a successful landing. Lots to figure out over time; hope I can configure the plane with Fwd slats, and get the 2- position flaps to work. Not so much documentation on how to do this. So far, so good. I’ll know all is really well once I run “ msconfig “ again to turn back on the system’s things I use.

12oclockhigh: Perhaps not, but decades with install failures makes this time prudent. I'm retired, so I got lots of to spend. Folks: My thanks for helping keep me motivated to get this RF9.5 Sim to run successfully. I got every needed feature to work with the DX Interlink, plus dozens more that I’ll probably never use. By reading the threads with your own issues, I got all of mine resolved in short order. I have my 2- position flaps and prop-reversing, and I can easily select thru all 3- of the flight difficulty modes. I found a training field with few trees and good runways. I’ve done several successful roll-outs, take-offs, vectoring, a couple touch & goes, and solid landings. Only one thing remains; getting RF to update from 9.5.015 to 9.5.022 or 9.5.024. While I can locate the Launcher9Helper.exe on Disc #1, it is not to be found on my computer. Nor was any update option available when I launched RF for my first flight. Any suggestions? This is going to be fun until my local RC field opens next spring.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1607364049.jpg
    ScreenShot1607364049.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 4
Back