Please help!! How can I practice stall/spin recovery?

pickerman

I bought RealFlight after years of not flying, and I find that it still has the same major issues that it always had. Specifically, with stall conditions.
To me the main point of a flight sim, is to practice to improve skills that translate to real-life. For basic flying and 3D practice, this is all good. But for stall practice I find it nearly useless.
Is it just me? Are there any good alternatives? I've played with the aircraft settings, and nothing produces an uncontrolled stall that you get on most any aircraft.

For example, I can take any aircraft in RealFlight (or downloaded from the forum), fly it straight and level, cut the power back to 0, hold full up elevator, and still have perfect control all the way to the ground. I'm talking rudder, ailerons - the works.

NOTHING I do will make the aircraft truly stall where recovery procedures are necessary.
In RealFlight, all it takes is full up elevator and goose the gas.
In REAL LIFE - this is the perfect recipe for a violent crash, especially for a traditional aerobatic, non-3D model.

Please help.

I spent a few minutes testing, and in my very limited selection, what you say seems to bear out. RF is based on perfect models, which in turn are generally highly optimized by their manufacturers to have few bad habits (or why would anyone buy them?) Of course, many of our real planes may be subject to bad design, building errors, and the like that are counter to all that. What kind of bad behavior are you looking for? Drop a wing tip? Sudden snap to a death spiral? Very hard to get out of a spin? I'm sure all can be mimicked in RF. What behaviors and plane would you like to work with - we can see if we can make it behave badly....

Thanks for the assistance! For some context, I crashed an 1.50-sized extra 300 when I was (and probably am) still too inexperienced. I was a master of skies on my pt-40 trainer haha, but flying the extra 300 made me nervous due to the size and cost of it.

Nevertheless, I was flying and landing with no issues. But one day I got too slow in a gentle turn, and it literally fell out of the sky from 150ft up. As I was banking, I just watched it fall over into the turn and spiral to the ground. Without knowing what to do, I gave full throttle, and elevator, and aileron - to no avail, and it nose-dived into the ground.

Now I understand the sequence to recover, but I have no confidence that I would be able to remember it and do it in time to save a crash.

This is what I want to reproduce in RealFlight: the risk of crashing if I don't provide the inputs required in real-life to get out of a spin. Pulling back on the stick and adding throttle is not the way out of such a situation.

To answer your question specifically, a "hard to get out of spin" or death spiral would be ideal. I don't have preference really on which plane - A traditional prop plane - something like a Extra or even a Piper Cub or something like that.

Only had a bit of time to play. Make a copy of the Extra 300L. Increase fuselage weight by 5 lbs. For the main wing, drop the "Post Stall Moment Factor" to 0. Increase Snap Roll boost to 200%.
This plane without mods likes to drop a wing, the mods make it more severe. Not perfect, but stalls are a bit more aggressive with too much elevator.

I have the same issue.

My (real life) UMX Turbo Timber didn't exhibit any tendency to spin. Stalls were always gentle and controllable.

My (real life) Night Timber X 1.2 m has crashed twice due to spins. The first time I'd neglected to secure the battery correctly and it slipped backwards. I recreated that reasonably well in RealFlight with a crazy aft CG. The plane handled awful (as it had in real life) but still wouldn't spin. The second time (in real life) I fixed the battery properly and confirmed proper CG. I flew too slow in a smooth but steep turn, and an accelerated stall resulted in a spin.

I'm learning in real life, but I'd prefer to learn in the simulator.

In the sim I can't get anything to spin, even with the setting Flapper is suggesting. I start with level flight, reduce throttle, then slowly feed in up elevator to maintain level flight as I slow down. Just before the stall I push in full rudder in an attempt to establish a spin. The stall is always gentle and the plane just noses over, gains a little speed and flies away completely normally.

I've tried a similar technique while in a 45° turn with the same results (no spins).

Any advice?

Back