Poly limit increase for custom models

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
We are raising the poly limit for custom models from 20,000 to 27,000.

That means we will be releasing an updated KEmax exporter. Support for art exported using the new plugin will be introduced in the next RealFlight 7 update. It will not be backwards compatible with previous versions of RealFlight.

Both the RF7 update and the new exporter are slated for release this month.

Other things to know:

The new exporter will initially only be available for 3ds Max 2012. A version for Max 2013 & 2014 is planned for sometime in the new year.

As with the current exporter, the new 27,000 poly limit will include collision, glow, and blur frames. If the increase hadn't been possible, we wanted to pursue changing what would count toward it (as discussed elsewhere). But with an increase that large it shouldn't be necessary.

The new exporter will continue to support a single texture. It is still possible for that to change down the road, but I don't consider it very likely--at least in the short or medium term.

We hope you will enjoy the extra headroom. :)

I for one am very thankful for the upgrade. It's truly the best thing KE has done for the designing community in a while. Thanks for getting this done for us Ryan and other responsible parties. I hope to make use of the extra 7k very soon.

Bittersweet moment here. Glad its finally a reality, but I won't be able to use it for some time. Oh well, congrats to those who can.

Thank you!

Will the warning of the suggested need to add collision meshes be at the same count or is that increasing as well?

I cannot wait for the Erickson skycrane... woo hoo! happy day. Let me know... I am ready to Alpha, Beta, whatever, test. Yes I know KE has one in the software... I am waiting for swaps version.

Last edited:
Glad its finally a reality, but I won't be able to use it for some time.

Is that because you don't have RF7 or because you don't have Max 2012? If it's the latter, I can't provide anything more recent yet, but I could probably package up a version for older Max.

Given how fervently some of you have been hoping for an increase to the poly limit, I thought it would be of interest if I said that the new exporter is now completely packaged up and ready to go. At this point it's only waiting on the next RealFlight update, coming soon.

You know those order status updates that say "Processing is complete. Your order is ready for shipping"? I feel like I just posted one of those. :)

Nice work guys! Can't wait to actually use those polys. Whether or not I have 7 right now, I'm modeling as if I do, so no new models from me until I have it I'm my hands.

I need to get RF7 now. I wanted to get it today, but need to figure out finances which are rediculously tight--considering my health insurance it tripling in price Jan 1st. I feel like I'm juggling between food, health care, and now RF7. I want to complete this Skycrane model I have eating up space on my drives.

Do you really need to wait? There might be some problems that could be captured while waiting for the RF7 update. You never know. That way, new content would be ready instantly.
Just a thought.

12'os gotta point .... Why wait ...don't you have a license about to expire soon for the 2012 version of Max?...I know you had something like that coming up soon ?

Ok, I'll bite. I'm a bad boy and noticed the RF7 purchase by my wife on amazon. I'm ASSUMING its for me but I dont know of any other folks that she knows that it would be for. :) I would like an exporter for a previous version of max. I'm still running 2008 if that's possible. I purchased it long ago and still tr and get every penny out of those spent dollars for a hobby. I never have spent that much since on this hobby all at one time:)

Nice!! Perfect timing too. Santa came a little early, and in expecting 7 on Wednesday. :D

Back