Problems entering your serial numbers?

Gee2Fly said:
I am having the same problem with the G5 upgrade as the others here. I have successfully entered serial numbers before going back to G3.5 without any problems.

I guess I could call tech support for my problem, but oh wait, they're closed on saturdays aren't they. I can't believe you guys shipped a product with a faulty registration process whether if affects 1 user or many.

The registration works just fine.

Thosands of people have already used it without problems.

Calling it "faulty" is disingenuous.

You don't know for a FACT that something in YOUR configuration or computer may be messing things up.

Don't let impatience get the better of you.

As indicated in the prior post, having a NON-STANDARD Windows installation, not running the installer with full ADMINISTRATIVE rights, etc. can foul things up, but this is Windows doing, and you were warned about this in the notes and documentation.

Mangus said:
You might take a look at reply #15 above for a workaround, if you have the facilities (and faculties) to try it.

I have a C: drive but it's not assigned as the main drive. Main drive is I:

opjose said:
The registration works just fine.

Thosands of people have already used it without problems.

Calling it "faulty" is disingenuous.

You don't know for a FACT that something in YOUR configuration or computer may be messing things up.

Don't let impatience get the better of you.

As indicated in the prior post, having a NON-STANDARD Windows installation, not running the installer with full ADMINISTRATIVE rights, etc. can foul things up, but this is Windows doing, and you were warned about this in the notes and documentation.

Accuracy is a good thing. The registration works fine for most. If it worked fine for everyone this thread wouldn't exist. I'm certain it works great for the vast majority.

I really don't care to derail the intent of this (useful) thread, nor do I want to harp on Knife Edge (since no programming entity, including myself, writes bug-free code). I (and hopefully most of us) understand that it's newly released software, and there will be issues to work through.

However, I'd like to point out that any app that makes assumptions about the environment it's being installed on when it has the tools (read: APIs) available to determine the actual environment, is not written the way it should be.

The app should use a manifest to ensure that admin privs are in place during the install process (limited by OS - if the OS doesn't support this, notify the user plainly within the UI during the install/registration process that they need to run as admin).

The app should determine the actual value of %homedrive%, and not assume that the OS is installed to c:\. Not everyone installs to c:\, some folks have multi-boot systems, etc. The main G5 installer already gets this right. The reg process should too. That there's nothing disingenuous in that statement.

When server connectivity fails, useful error messages should be bubbled to the user, and they should contain the same information that support or KE wouid post here when someone asks, "what does error <x> mean?"

Gee2Fly wasn't polite in his post, and that sucks. It's not hard to understand his (and my own) frustration. But don't let that lead you to indignance or to a missed lesson. Underneath it all, he has a point.

Now hopefully Knife Edge can work through these issues, and we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming (there's a good pun!).

-Mark

opjose said:

Standard windows setup (vista) with admin rights. I'm the only assigned user. If there's a windows or setup problem, it wasn't because my machine is special or different.

I own every flight product released by Knife Edge since G3.5 including paid copies of all the add-on (even the originals). Every one of them registered without a hitch.

Mangus said:
Gee2Fly wasn't polite in his post, and that sucks. It's not hard to understand his (and my own) frustration. But don't let that lead you to indignance or to a missed lesson. Underneath it all, he has a point.

Considering the money invested with Knife Edge over the years, I'm entitled to a little abrupt communication.

Also, I have never understood why the interlink controllers need to be registered.

Gee2Fly said:
Considering the money invested with Knife Edge over the years, I'm entitled to a little abrupt communication.

Also, I have never understood why the interlink controllers need to be registered.

It's a useful means of abating piracy. Consider it a dongle as well as an input device.

In the case of the upgrade, it's how they know you own(ed) the original software. You don't need to have 3/3.5/4/4.5 installed in order to install the upgrade.

Let's keep this thread on point for the install issues from here out.

Last edited:
Mangus said:
In the case of the upgrade, it's how they know you own(ed) the original software. You don't need to have 3/3.5/4/4.5 installed in order to install the upgrade.QUOTE]

Only have 4.5 installed, but with all the workable add-ons. I think the old (now free) ones don't work with 4.5, if I remember correctly, so I didn't reinstall them with 4.5.

Installed 5.0 fresh without doing anything to 4.5, that worked fine in the past going from 3.5 to 4.0 (I think). All version were previously installed (at one time) on the same machine as now with the same environment settings. Right now if I go back and look at 4.5, the serial numbers for it are recorded in the top left box and it works fine. Just doesn't work that way for new version.

Update: fix in progress

Just a heads-up: the problem you guys describe is a known issue and we're working on a fix right now. It should be available soon. Please sit tight. We apologize for the inconvenience.

FWIW, count me one more that can't register. There is nothing wrong with my Windows. I stripped everything off ( back to version 3) in hopes a fresh install would fix it. I have already tried reinserting the serial numbers numerous times. I know you're working on it. Just want to let you know that there are more of us that can't get on.

I have been told that this problem and others are supposed to be fixed early next year. This is the first piece of software that I have ever installed that couldn't find the right drive. G5 can automatically find the correct installation drive for the software but can't find the drive to store the serial numbers if it is not the C: drive.

Well guys, I got it to accept the serial numbers. If you try to put the numbers in, you get a error message that it won't accept letters or symbols. This is to some degree, wrong. I dug a little deeper and found a G5 site which says that the two middle digits on the interlink aren't both digits. Somewhere along the line, somebody decided that the 1 in 12 (as my interlink plainly shows) should be a I as in I2. I made the change and the serial numbers were accepted.
I hope this helps others.

It was always an I, never a 1. The I stands for Interlink. Compare the I to a 1 that may be in your serial number. On my Interlink, they are 2 different characters.

It's supposed to be a "I", but that is not what is on the serial number tag in my Interlink! I have a "1"

Last edited:
Mine is more of a | but it is an I, not a 1. The 1 in my serial number has a tail on the top, no bar on the bottom.

The Virginian said:
I've uninstalled G5 and reloaded it twice. I've checked the serial numbers and I've even called support for help. Support told me that the serial number on the back of my disk package was invalid and gave me a new number. Didn't help. Support told me to use a new interlink serial number. Didn't help. When I get to the page for entering the serial numbers, I enter the numbers and the OK button activates. When I click the button, however, I get a new screen that says that I need to input my serial numbers in order to activate G5. G4.5 runs fine, the interlink serial number is correct, and I've tried the serial numbers provided by tech support. G5 simply won't activate. I'm beginning to think that Tower Hobbies sent me a bad disk.

i got the SAME!! problem!

please HELP ME!!! :( :(

Hi!!

i really need your help friends.

i just bougth my g5 last week, and got a new pc too for the SIM.

My pc has :

2.4 dual core
200 hard drive
4 gigas ram
video card geforce 8400GS 512 share video.
windows 7

i installed the sim, put the serial (in the launcher).. an then it tells me that my serials are not registred yed..

i repeat the steps again.. and nothing...
shows me the same window.

please helpme.. im desperated... lol
i forgot.. to tell you

after thar problem.. i installed the sim in my sony vaio lap..

and it runs OK!!

but my lap is older and the graphics are not great...

its a 1.7 procesor.., 100 hardrive space, 1 giga ram.. with xp sistem

Back