program crashes

arno0091

I got RealFlight Basic about a month ago. It worked fine for the first couple weeks. Then all of a sudden it started closing unexpectedly after about 3 minutes of play. I have ATI Radeon 4800 series video card. Not sure if should uninstall and try reinstalling. thanks, Brian

The most likely cause is that you've updated one of the underlying libraries that either your video card or Realflight relies upon.

Your best bet is to do the following.

Download and install the latest video drivers for your card from ATI.

Reboot.

Download and re-install DirectX9c redistributable.

Reboot.

Uninstall Realflight, reboot.

Re-install Realflight and try again.

The above makes sure that the proper DLL files are found by Realflight.

can't get it to work

Just downloaded video driver update from AMD website and it said the download installation for the driver had problems. I tried to install the new driver again and it said I already had the updated driver (from the first try). Direct X is version 11. I uninstalled and reinstalled RealFlight again but it won't finish installation. I have to click on the DVD drive 3 separate times before it says installation complete. When I click on the RealFlight icon the game doesn't load. Wonder if I need a different video card altogether. thanks, Brian

These are three distinct and separate problems.

- Video Driver

Make sure that you download the full driver first. Don't perform a WEB INSTALL that pulls files from the internet during installation.

At worst, uninstall your existing drivers, reboot, run the ATITOOL to remove any vestigages of the old driver, reboot again.

Windows should come up in VGA mode. It may look ugly but it will still run albeit slowly.

Then re-install the ATI drivers.

- DirectX

It doesn't matter what version of DirectX you have, you still need to download and install the DirectX9c redistributable AFTER you've updated your video drivers.

This is an important step and it must always be done after any driver updates.

- DVD

Check the Realflight DVD's to be sure that they are scratch free.

Also copy all of the files from each disk one disk at a time, to a subfolder on your computer.

This makes SURE your computer is able to read the data off the disks correctly.

If it succeeds, re-run the installer, but instead of letting it come up by itself, right click on the setup.exe file and select "run as administrator".

A recent McAfee update causes a problem like what you describe. It seems very likely to me that is the explanation in your case. Here is more info.

McAfee Causes Crash

If you have McAfee as your virus software that is definitely causing this. I have the same problem after a new virus signature uploaded this weekend. Do not try to uninstall and reinstall Realflight. I made that mistake and could not reinstall the program as the install itself kicked out partway through the install. Thus I never got a clean install. I wasted a couple hours on a chat with McAfee's tech support and that was a waste of time. Tried to disable McAfee but that did not fix anything. Finally I uninstalled McAfee and then Realflight Basic installed and ran great. I'm currently installing a different AV program until McAfee gets this fixed.

Back