Question about "missing plane components" on RF9.5

INeverLikedYou

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question, but I'm not a regular poster here. I've searched with all of the appropriate search terms I could think of and haven't been able to find anything relevant to my problem.

So here's my issue...

I downloaded the FMS Pilatus_PC-21_2_AV from the swap pages and while I was able to install and load the plane, it wouldn't fly. I received an error message stating that I didn't have "lipo 2600 mph" and "FMS Predator Motor 3541 KV750". Is there a place where these items are available and if so, how would I install them? If not, are there appropriate substitutions, and again, how would I install them?

I've had this issue with other models I've downloaded from the swap pages in the past and RF usually finds at least a passable substitute on it's own. At least so far as I've been able to tell. I'm a casual hobbyist, but have been flying on and off the sim for a few years so I understand basic terminology for both. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!

You have to download and install the "EA" model first, then install the "AV" model.

Here is a link to the model.

Something I've run into, I don't recall exactly which aircraft. It might have been some variant of a Timber. I'm still running RF8, and the aircraft used a motor that didn't exist as a standard motor until RF9. I had to find the specs of that motor & create a custom motor with the correct name & specs. The substitution that RF8 made was totally inappropriate - I think it weighed about 10x the correct motor's weight. The only thing that aircraft would do was instantly nose over on the runway.

You have to download and install the "EA" model first, then install the "AV" model.

Here is a link to the model.

Thanks for the response, but I have the EA and have downloaded other variants which seem to work fine without the same issue including the original plane.

Something I've run into, I don't recall exactly which aircraft. It might have been some variant of a Timber. I'm still running RF8, and the aircraft used a motor that didn't exist as a standard motor until RF9. I had to find the specs of that motor & create a custom motor with the correct name & specs. The substitution that RF8 made was totally inappropriate - I think it weighed about 10x the correct motor's weight. The only thing that aircraft would do was instantly nose over on the runway.
Alright, looks like I've got some research to do on how to build an engine for RF. Thanks for the reply though! :)

Alright, looks like I've got some research to do on how to build an engine for RF. Thanks for the reply though! :)
I asked another user to send me the specs from RF9 & duplicated them in RF8. I wasn't able to get all the parameters RF uses from specs listed online for the motor. Something was missing online, but I don't remember exactly what else I needed. But I DID get it to work.
Maybe a message to the AV's designer will get you the information you need. Where'd HE get the motor & battery?

The files I had to mess with are under My Documents\RealFlight 8\vehicles\... engines & batteries
The filenames need to EXACTLY match what the AV is looking for. It took me a couple tries to get them exactly right.

Last edited:
I asked another user to send me the specs from RF9 & duplicated them in RF8. I wasn't able to get all the parameters RF uses from specs listed online for the motor. Something was missing online, but I don't remember exactly what else I needed. But I DID get it to work.
Maybe a message to the AV's designer will get you the information you need. Where'd HE get the motor & battery?
That's an excellent idea! Thanks man.

I downloaded and installed the EA version, loaded the model and performed a short flight, then installed the AV version of the PC-21, no error messages appeared and the updated engine was shown correct. (see pic).

Attachments

• FMS PC_21.jpg
    FMS PC_21.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 4
I wonder if you might have installed some other aircraft that coincidentally uses the same engine/battery with or without actually documenting it. AFAIK, aircraft can USE components that weren't actually distributed with that aircraft in the RFX file as long as they exist in the system.

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that, too. I don't have that plane, so there's not much else I can do - especially since I'm still running RF8. Things I suggest are usually things that I THINK should work, but don't have a way to actually test. And I could certainly be wrong.

sometimes RF has issues on the first opening of a plane. usually closing rf and reopening it will

Yep! That's exactly what happened. Seems to be flying just fine now and I'm not receiving any other error messages. I've definitely had different models substitute various engines, batteries, props, etc. with the models I've downloaded over the years.

I initially purchased a used version of RF4 with an upgrade disc to RF6 some years back on Ebay and it came with the old add-ons disc, plus most of the Expansion packs that had been released to that point. And since I'm a bit of a "completionist" I decided to get another upgrade disc to RF7, and then eventually to RF9. I was super excited to fly all the different models and went a little nuts on downloading different versions of aircraft from the swap pages since I wanted to see if there were any discernible differences between them. It's been a blast, but on occasion I think I confuse the sim with similar models across the versions and EPs.

At any rate, thanks for all the help guys! It's really appreciated. Happy flying! :)

Back