Questions about RF-8

technoid

First I have to say good job guys!

Here's a few questions as a content creator.

1. What version of Direct X is supported.

2. What is the texture size.

3. What is the triangle limit.

4. What is the collision mesh limit.

Beyond that has there been any improvement to the textures in 3d fields?

And of course as an RF-X owner is there any discount to get RF-8.

First I have to say good job guys!

Here's a few questions as a content creator.

1. What version of Direct X is supported.

2. What is the texture size.

3. What is the triangle limit.

4. What is the collision mesh limit.

I'll answer Q1. for you.... It DX9 acording to the system requirements.

Duh.. I looked at all the pages but didn't think to look at the requirements, but I assumed it was dx9 from the video. None the less if the other items I ask about went up it will be a really nice change. The collision mesh doesn't really matter but I hope the triangle count went up. I also expect the texture size to be the same but wanted to know for sure. So FBX exports and more triangles is enough for me. I'd like some of the other stuff but that's what I really want from this release.

Duh.. I looked at all the pages but didn't think to look at the requirements, but I assumed it was dx9 from the video. None the less if the other items I ask about went up it will be a really nice change. The collision mesh doesn't really matter but I hope the triangle count went up. I also expect the texture size to be the same but wanted to know for sure. So FBX exports and more triangles is enough for me. I'd like some of the other stuff but that's what I really want from this release.

From some reading about dx9 the max is 8192 although some old cards are limited to 4096 and really old stuff is probobly even lower

Also the dx-9 limit on triangles for one object (airplane not including props) is 65,334 but i expect the rf limit to be less than that

From some reading about dx9 the max is 8192 although some old cards are limited to 4096 and really old stuff is probobly even lower

Also the dx-9 limit on triangles for one object (airplane not including props) is 65,334 but i expect the rf limit to be less than that

An 8k texture size would really help that's double what we have now. And a triangle limit in the 40k range would be really nice too. I expect the same texture size with a increase in triangle count. None the less this is a good release for a developer like me with my time running out in 3ds max. So I can continue to model planes and hopefully with a nice bump in triangle count. This isn't what I wanted my thoughts on RF-8 has stayed the same and I've posted them many times but it's still a nice change. It sure would be nice if they would consider giving a few copies out to the developers. I have some computer parts I'd give Andy if he has someone that can put a system together for him. I have a Intel 4770s, 32 Gig of RAM and a Motherboard for it so he would need the rest of the parts but that would be a very nice system for RF-8. That is if he's interested these days, he's got lots of other stuff on his plate now days. But after buying RF-X and spending about 1900 bucks to upgrade I'd appreciate a little help on RF-8 being on a fixed income and all.

Am I blind? I didn't see system requirements anywhere. Does RF8 require a $500+ video card? Or are the requirements more like 7.5? My system runs 7.5 just fine with acceptable frame rates, but RFX is totally unusable.

Note that we have created a Designer's Corner forum dedicated to RF8, but I'm happy to answer all of these here (they're a mix of general interest & content creation questions, anyway).

1. legoman is correct. This product is using the same engine as 7.5 and has the same DirectX requirements.
  2. Texture size is unchanged from 7.5.
  3. Triangle limit should now be the same as in RF-X: 135,000. We did encounter a problem when importing an object with a higher number of vertices just now, but I assume that will be solvable once we look at it further.
  4. To be perfectly candid I don't know. I don't think it has changed, but the person I'd need to ask is out of the office.
If you're asking about the terrain textures, they are the same as in 7.5.

That's determined entirely by our publisher, Great Planes/Hobbico. I know they have something planned, though. I'm not sure when the details will be revealed.

Am I blind? I didn't see system requirements anywhere. Does RF8 require a $500+ video card? Or are the requirements more like 7.5? My system runs 7.5 just fine with acceptable frame rates, but RFX is totally unusable.

System requirements are listed on the official site.

In short, they are the same as 7.5 if you do not want to use VR. VR systems (we're basically talking about Oculus Rift and HTC Vive here) have much higher requirements that are completely independent from our software.

Thanks. I didn't think to go there... I assumed there would be a link to the system requirements in the announcement on the forum. I have a quad Xeon 3.6, 32G RAM, SSD, GTX-760.

Gees, I guess that I will apply for welfare to pay the electric bill to run the massively parallel cyber bank that I will need for my deep immersive VR experience.

Knife Edge emergency relief fund??

Ryan..... Has anything been done to improve the Multi-Player experience? Banning individuals that are causing trouble? or any other process?

Last edited:
Note that we have created a Designer's Corner forum dedicated to RF8, but I'm happy to answer all of these here (they're a mix of general interest & content creation questions, anyway).

1. legoman is correct. This product is using the same engine as 7.5 and has the same DirectX requirements.
  2. Texture size is unchanged from 7.5.
  3. Triangle limit should now be the same as in RF-X: 135,000. We did encounter a problem when importing an object with a higher number of vertices just now, but I assume that will be solvable once we look at it further.
  4. To be perfectly candid I don't know. I don't think it has changed, but the person I'd need to ask is out of the office.

If you're asking about the terrain textures, they are the same as in 7.5.

That's determined entirely by our publisher, Great Planes/Hobbico. I know they have something planned, though. I'm not sure when the details will be revealed.
Thanks Ryan I expected those answers but I always ask to be clear on them. But someone mentioned DX9 only allowed 64k triangles per object? So is that correct? And is a plane more than one object once dx9 gets it? I just want to be sure, boy 135k triangles would be great!

My apologies if I've missed it, but is there a side by side comparison of features/differences/requirements between RF8 and RFX?

How will users and custom content creators know which is the best one for them to buy??

Thanks

This is good news... especially about the heli collective sounds being returned. They were removed (massively attenuated) from every version after g5.5. Hopefully the flight physics will also return to something resembling g5.5 as well... and we can say goodbye to the "thick air" feeling since g6.

Ryan..... Has anything been done to improve the Multi-Player experience? Banning individuals that are causing trouble? or any other process?

+1000

Some time ago, a very smart and handsome fellow posted another suggestion to improve Multiplayer... and there was some support for it as well.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=31016

Has anything been done to improve the Multi-Player experience? Banning individuals that are causing trouble? or any other process?
No changes in this area. It's not a 100% perfect solution, but using the Multiplayer Gadget to hide users who you want to go away is still the recommended way of dealing with them. It's exactly why that feature exists. I feel like not nearly enough people realize we've provided that tool.

someone mentioned DX9 only allowed 64k triangles per object? So is that correct? And is a plane more than one object once dx9 gets it?
Partially true. The 65534 triangle limit is actually per frame. There is an identical limit on vertices. That means you could not have that many tris or verts on your fuselage or the ~CS_RMW, for example. (That's probably also going to impact airport objects, because I think they can only ever be a single frame though I'm not positive about that off the top of my head.) Avoid those limitations, though, and the higher limit applies as intended. And yes, those are inherent DX9 limitations.

My apologies if I've missed it, but is there a side by side comparison of features/differences/requirements between RF8 and RFX?

How will users and custom content creators know which is the best one for them to buy??
I haven't seen such a comparison. Basically, RF8 is RF7.5 + the new features & content.

Software only is $99. I don't know, but to me $99 is very reasonable for a new product.

Once you're retired and on a fixed income with a totally disabled wife that visits the Doctor very often you'll see it different. When I was an engineer working 99 bucks wasn't anything to me either. But things change. But no problem I'll ask my wife to skip going to the Doctor this month so I can spend 100 bucks on RF-8.

IMHO, a content provider as prolific as technoid should get a free copy of RF8! Then again, I'm prejudiced - he did a tremendous job re-creating the Trident that's my avatar, for 7.5. I fell in love with that plane in 1962 from an article in MAN. I finally built one from scratch a few years ago.

IMHO, a content provider as prolific as technoid should get a free copy of RF8! Then again, I'm prejudiced - he did a tremendous job re-creating the Trident that's my avatar, for 7.5. I fell in love with that plane in 1962 from an article in MAN. I finally built one from scratch a few years ago.

Amen to that. Being able to fly (and create) some of the great planes from decades ago is what makes RF so awesome. On par also is the ability to use the physics and first develop a good flying sim version as the basis to then make a RW plane.

About free copies, look back into history on this site to see the results of that. I am not going to say more about that.

The problem with hide in Multiplayer, in my opinion, is that it does not stick. Miscreants name can change and they interrupt again. It would be nice if a number ID was created that the user could not change. Then allow me to create a list of bothersome fleas that is hidden and/or banned each time I open multiplayer mode.

I know it is too late for the imminent release. This issue just does not go away. We do know how to use hide. Thanks for listening.

Back