Questions about RF-8

Windows is shipping a whole bunch of high resolution VR headsets in the next week. They call it mixed reality.

The big deal is that they use inside out tracking now, so no setup. And Samsung makes a headset that ships nov 6 with 1400x1600 OLED screens with no screen door effect..

Can we please quickly get support for the big windows mixed reality release that just happened?

https://youtu.be/xTT_3DhTMI8

What reason do we have to move to RF 8?

RF-X dumped all the planes we had paid for in various packs etc. That made it not that popular considering there was no big advantage in upgrading.

So now we have v8. Did they learn a lesson and keep our old airplanes. Wordperfect learned a hard lesson long ago. We had macros that we had spend time and money to perfect. Wordperfect came out with a new version with no compatibility to the old macros and no conversions. They totally controlled the wordprocessor market before this. Word was nothing. Within a year Wordperfect was in the dumps and never recovered.

So hopefully, KE understands the lesson. The planes that everyone has worked so hard on tie the people to the program. If you dump the planes you lose people in two ways. One you tell them you don't care about them or the money or effort they spent on the planes. Two, you release them to go buy any other product since they now have no connection to any KE product.

I have bought most of the versions over the years but RF-X has made me look hard at other simulations. With RF-X I saw nothing compelling to have my friends buy it over their older versions and with dropping all the planes it absolutely told me to NOT continue with this product line.

I see NO ads, info, etc. on what the $100 upgrade would do for me. Everything I have seen tells me people should stay with 7.5. It works well on the computers they have and it contains a great set of aircraft.

So KE give us some real reasons why anyone should buy v8.

RFX users get screwed again!

I feel very deceived by RFX and knife edge. Owned 7.5 and RFX was suppose to be the high tech replacement and the future of 7.5. In the end (and I have 2 copies of this simulator for my Wife and I), rfx had none of the features that made 7.5 fun.

Now Knife edge comes out with 8.0, a revamped 7.5 and it will work with vr googles. What about us that brought into RFX, why can't we get updates to use vr googles when RFX was suppose to be the new future and the best of knifedge simulators?

I think they have some balls to come out with 8.0 and provide no updates to us RFX users! RFX users should get a free update (or down grade, depends how you look at it). Do you really expect us that purchased RFX to shell out more money to get something that RFX was suppose to be!

If an update does not come out to allow us to use vr googles with RFX it will be the last time I purchase a knife edge product. And I will definitely go to every RC forum and state how us RFX users have been cheated!

I do have a question about multiplayer. Will RF7.5 and RF8 users be able to fly together since it's the same engine ? I realize RF7.5 users might not be able to render the higher triangle count aircraft but they could just show a blue default like there is now when you don't have the other players model.

I think that when all is said and done, most will be happy. Some not.
I think that it is important to note, just because you can run RF7.5 and RF8, you will not necessarily be able to use Oculus Rift and Vive for a VR experience without better hardware. I can see the writing on the wall, I expect VR in RF-X.

Lots of heated responses. I can see this as two paths. 1) lower hardware level, and 2) extreme hardware level. You choose your level.

Past experience would say that two versions of the software cannot talk to one another in multiplayer. That is not official, but through RF-G4, 5, 6 & RF-7 that has been the case.

Last edited:
Hi

Someone can explain this. Last year we have purchased RF_X a new path to real flight. At now,
it looks like real flight returned to old path. Who purchase RF_X will have right a real flight 8 license for free?

I suppose the old path had been discontinued to a new future with RF-X. A RF_X experience can have been so bad to justify
this turning point.

I do have a question about multiplayer. Will RF7.5 and RF8 users be able to fly together since it's the same engine ? I realize RF7.5 users might not be able to render the higher triangle count aircraft but they could just show a blue default like there is now when you don't have the other players model.

If the past is anything to go on only the same version can be on multi-player in the same session. This is the way its always been.

If the past is anything to go on only the same version can be on multi-player in the same session. This is the way its always been.

I know .. I just thought MAYBE this time but it's no big deal. I already pre-ordered RF8. With the $10 discount code and the $21 shipping refund I had from RF-X it was only $78 total with shipping from Tower Hobbies.

I think that when all is said and done, most will be happy. Some not.
I think that it is important to note, just because you can run RF7.5 and RF8, you will not necessarily be able to use Oculus Rift and Vive for a VR experience without better hardware. I can see the writing on the wall, I expect VR in RF-X.

Lots of heated responses. I can see this as two paths. 1) lower hardware level, and 2) extreme hardware level. You choose your level.

Past experience would say that two versions of the software cannot talk to one another in multiplayer. That is not official, but through RF-G4, 5, 6 & RF-7 that has been the case.

i posted about this in a new thread. which do you think is better ? Oculus Rift or Vive. I know nothing about either.....I certainly have the PC power to run it !

Also what about all the wonderful custom planes and fields, will I be able to import those?

I'm pretty sure all the custom content that worked with RF 7.5 will work in RF 8.0 it's the same engine with added features so everything should work okay.

Technoid, since the import engine format is different, do you think you will have to re-import your planes and then export them to the swaps as RF8 format? I am thinking that this might be a possibility. I guess that you did not waste your time working with RF-X import after all.

My personal flying fields live on for another day.

Technoid, since the import engine format is different, do you think you will have to re-import your planes and then export them to the swaps as RF8 format? I am thinking that this might be a possibility. I guess that you did not waste your time working with RF-X import after all.

My personal flying fields live on for another day.

I worked with the new RF-X import method quite a bit and you could import either a swap page RFX file or the new FBX format so I think you'll be able to import all the swap page files no problem. The problem RF-X had with importing swap page files (transparency and collision mesh) isn't a problem in RF 7.5 and since RF-8 uses the same engine I don't expect it to be a problem for RF-8. So at this point I think all the swap page files that worked with RF-7.5 will work with RF 8.0. But that's only my opinion I don't have anything to verify that with. But hopefully Ryan or Jim will see this post and clarify it.

To me RF 8.0 is simply RF 7.5 with a few additions and a different import method for content creators. But I think a typical user will be able to import RF 7.5 compatible swap page files no problem.

I'm going to rapid-fire answer a few questions before heading out for the day:

As a reminder, an RF-X update is coming sometime after RF8's release.

Expansion Packs, Mega Packs, and swap pages content is fully supported.

As with previous major versions of the product, multiplayer sessions will not mix.

Take care everyone!

I'm going to rapid-fire answer a few questions before heading out for the day:

As a reminder, an RF-X update is coming sometime after RF8's release.

Expansion Packs, Mega Packs, and swap pages content is fully supported.

As with previous major versions of the product, multiplayer sessions will not mix.

Take care everyone!

Thanks for clearing it up!

For those needing the $20 Hobbico rebate form here it is. The attachment is a pdf file you can print. Instructions are on the form.

Attachments

• 17_1001-1231_rf_rebate.pdf
    130.6 KB · Views: 37
Back