Questions about RF-8

This is great! I was hoping it would be like this. Would it be more taxing on the internet connection than ordinary multiplayer? All the extra rendering would be local... no? Or would there even be any extra rendering beyond what you normally do to see other pilots?

Also assuming you can be in VR while other pilots in the room are on a flat screen?

I look forward to trying the VR! I've got an Oculus waiting for RF8 to arrive!

(meh;"This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.".... I'm pretty sure my knifeedge account is 11 years old now. Is this really necessary? I type 100+wpm...)

Not much 3D Terrain?

The comparison chart indicates that RF-8 only has 5000sq mi of 3D Terrain. Is there an option to add or upload more terrain?

What is the path of the RealFlight products? Are RF8 and RFX different products with different future upgrade paths?

I have RF7.5 with the Interlink Elite contrller. Is that controller compatible with with RF8?

Cheers,
Joe

The comparison chart indicates that RF-8 only has 5000sq mi of 3D Terrain. Is there an option to add or upload more terrain?

Probably a typo. I'm sure it has the same Sierra Nevada terrain as all of the other versions of realflight has. No you cannot add additional terrain, but it is possible to model terrain as a object. Look up Mt. St. Helens on the Swap pages.

What is the path of the RealFlight products? Are RF8 and RFX different products with different future upgrade paths?

I have RF7.5 with the Interlink Elite contrller. Is that controller compatible with with RF8?

Cheers,
Joe

Yes to both.

I borrowed a friends Rift VR set since he prefers another brand for his gaming. RF-8 is giving me 80-110 fps using VR on an older i5 PC. :) It's really cool and doesn't give me the nausea FPV flying did when I tried a persons quad setup out.

I borrowed a friends Rift VR set since he prefers another brand for his gaming. RF-8 is giving me 80-110 fps using VR on an older i5 PC. :) It's really cool and doesn't give me the nausea FPV flying did when I tried a persons quad setup out.

I am really looking forward to VR. I could spring for the Occulus Setup now but I really want that Odyssey HMD setup from Samsung. I just don't want to be the guinea pig and purchase it only to find it isn't compatible with Realflight :D. I Fly FPV with a couple quads, I don't get the nausea that some people have, but during FPV I deliberately fly slower than I would if I was flying from the ground.

I got word that My copy of RF8 has shipped. I should have it next week. :)

I am really looking forward to VR. I could spring for the Occulus Setup now but I really want that Odyssey HMD setup from Samsung. I just don't want to be the guinea pig and purchase it only to find it isn't compatible with Realflight :D.

ME TOO!

I have it from Samsung tech supp that the Odessey does support OpenVR... but that's not the same as an All Good! from someone who actually tried it.

This is great! I was hoping it would be like this. Would it be more taxing on the internet connection than ordinary multiplayer? All the extra rendering would be local... no? Or would there even be any extra rendering beyond what you normally do to see other pilots?

Also assuming you can be in VR while other pilots in the room are on a flat screen?

The VR is entirely local on the client side, so it doesn't impose an additional burden on multiplayer (except that the rendering performance probably takes a little bit bigger hit for each additional aircraft in your view vs. non-VR). You can be in VR while other people in the session are not, no problem. We've done it here. :)

You say "only", but 5000 square miles of terrain is a looooooot of area for an RC model. ;)

No, there is no option to add additional terrain beyond what's there. But you can add airports at different locations within the existing terrain.

Hi all, I just bought an Alienware 15 R3 laptop with 16 GB DDR4 ram, 8GB DDR5 overclocked G1070. Using Oculus for VR. Could some one post a list of tips to optimize the video quality in VR? I know that are lots of settings that can be updated with the graphics card, maybe the laptop itself, or maybe KE or Oculus.

I am pretty excited by this but just plugging everything in - the image quality is barely ok at close range on a photofield for a fixed wing, simulated fields or even photofields at normal flying distances are not good.

Oculus seems pretty responsive for a few other demos, I am not a gamer.

Tips please! Much appreciated.

Edit: I figured out how to enable frame rate display using Nvidia GeForce Experience. Machine is doing 280normal to as high as 380 FPS but as soon as I get my headset on, FPS drops to 45. I tried all RF graphics settings. Higher quality makes the VR picture worse while improving the pic on the laptop.

Feels like a compatibility issue or a settings issue between RF and Oculus. My machine and Oculus are blazing fast for other even more complex games.

Last edited:
Hi all, I just bought an Alienware 15 R3 laptop with 16 GB DDR4 ram, 8GB DDR5 overclocked G1070. Using Oculus for VR. Could some one post a list of tips to optimize the video quality in VR? I know that are lots of settings that can be updated with the graphics card, maybe the laptop itself, or maybe KE or Oculus.

I am pretty excited by this but just plugging everything in - the image quality is barely ok at close range on a photofield for a fixed wing, simulated fields or even photofields at normal flying distances are not good.

Oculus seems pretty responsive for a few other demos, I am not a gamer.

Tips please! Much appreciated.

Edit: I figured out how to enable frame rate display using Nvidia GeForce Experience. Machine is doing 280normal to as high as 380 FPS but as soon as I get my headset on, FPS drops to 45. I tried all RF graphics settings. Higher quality makes the VR picture worse while improving the pic on the laptop.

Feels like a compatibility issue or a settings issue between RF and Oculus. My machine and Oculus are blazing fast for other even more complex games.

answered in verbose in another thread,

look into oculus tray tool. This would be the first step

Back