RAF FE2b

Are you sure the faces are connected to each other ? Did you export via .3ds to .max and than reimported back to blender ??? Check if there are no doubled vertices in your mesh and that all faces are connected to each other !!!! If this is not the case normal recalculation will fail !!!

For example: Select one wing part object, select all faces (A) in vertex mode and click W, than remove doubles. This function will join overlapping vertices (or vertices which are near each other) you might not see. Blender will tell you if vertices are joined or removed.

The limit and threshold of joined vertices you can adjust in the editing panel under mesh tools. Than recalculate the normals again.

Greets,

Max

Attachments

• RemoveDoubles.png
    RemoveDoubles.png
    277 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Try it firt on a single object, not on the whole aircraft :) Than it's easier to identify the problem :)

Try it firt on a single object, not on the whole aircraft :) Than it's easier to identify the problem :)

I tried it, and 0 vertices were removed on the wing I have been showing. So whatever I have done that is confusing Blender, that isn't it. It would have been great if it had been. :(

Ah well. At this point I have fixed it manually so it isn't holding things up.

Last edited:
I added Boof's pilot tonight as well as the vertical stabilizer. But mostly I worked on things like pivot points and beginning on the physics. I'm now well over 6000 polygons, but 3000+ of that is the pilot.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1335923838.jpg
    ScreenShot1335923838.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You gotta be under 20k when you're through. :confused:

I'm interested in progress poly counts.

Last edited:
I added the main wing struts tonight. The polygon count is 6676.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1336096495.jpg
    ScreenShot1336096495.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 16
Today I added the main wheels and the axle between them. The polygon count stands at 7452.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1336250473.jpg
    ScreenShot1336250473.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 17
I continued work on the under carriage, adding the front wheel, the front wheel fork, and some of the struts that connects the undercarriage together. Polygon count is now 7796.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1336334488.jpg
    ScreenShot1336334488.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 13
I added the main wheel struts as well as made a start on the collision mesh. The model is now at 8384 polygons.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1336443230.jpg
    ScreenShot1336443230.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 10
I have finished a crude collision mesh for the parts of the model I have currently completed. Polygons are now at 8788. I'm not sure if a better collision mesh than this will really be necessary.

Attachments

• CollisionMesh.jpg
    CollisionMesh.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 11
The only coll mesh that needs any real resolution is the coll mesh for the tires. If they don't have enough sides the model will bounce down the runway.

They also need to be the same size or the wheels will appear to float or sink into the ground. I typically will duplicate the wheels exactly for their mesh.

I have the wheels at 16 sided and I haven't noticed any bounce on grass. I'll have to try a paved runway. I was very careful to get the collision mesh for the wheels exactly the same radius as the actual wheels.

Back