RAF SE5a

technoid

It's finally time to release my RAF SE5a so I started working on the 1x1 mapping today. Here's a few picture of it.

Attachments

• RAF SE5a 01.jpg
    RAF SE5a 01.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 29
  • RAF SE5a 02.jpg
    RAF SE5a 02.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 25
  • RAF SE5a 03.jpg
    RAF SE5a 03.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 23
Very nice .. if I remember there was also a Scout version right ? There's one in my list but I don't remember the differences. It's a superb plane and should be on swaps. I didn't even know it wasn't mapped as I had done a Tan CS variant (underside of one wing is white).

Attachments

• ScreenShot1567201160.jpg
    ScreenShot1567201160.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Very nice .. if I remember there was also a Scout version right ? There's one in my list but I don't remember the differences. It's a superb plane and should be on swaps. I didn't even know it wasn't mapped as I had done a Tan CS variant (underside of one wing is white).

I mapped it to get the beta going but never went back and did the 1x1 mapping, and the 1x1 mapping was off quite a bit. But problems with the 1x1 mapping only show up when you have wrap around stripes which it didn't have. I've got about 60 percent of the 1x1 mapping finished so it won't be long once I get back to it. I had to do something different for a while I was tired of working on the DC-4.

I finished the 1x1 mapping today but I still need to update the color scheme and spec map TGA files with the modified mapping and rework the current color scheme to match the final mapping, but I'm finally getting there. Ha.. I started this plane late in 2017 and just getting it ready for release. I can tell you the 1x1 mapping was off a lot so I definitely have some work left to do updated the CS and SPEC MAP with the new mapping. But it is a nice plane and deserves to get released.

Well this afternoon I exported the new mapping template from 3ds Max and created the Mask I use in the color scheme and spec map files but I haven't added the new mask to them yet, but that will be the next thing I do. Then I can go back and fix all the places in the color scheme and spec map that changed with the final 1x1 mapping. So slowly but surely I'm getting there. I'm just having trouble right now wanting to work on modeling so I do little bits at a time.

There's no rush. Looks like scattered rain and storms here all day so I won't be able to fly outside very much. I guess it's mostly a sim day... sigh :rolleyes: At least tomorrow is an extra day off.

I worked on the SE5a again this morning and updated the color scheme with the final 1x1 mapping mask and went around and fixed all the places that changed. All I have left to do is update the spec map and fix the changes in it and I should be ready to release it.

QUESTION: Did any of you create a Color Scheme for the SE5a beta I released?

If you did it will definitely need work quite a few things changed in the final 1x1 mapping. For one the bottom panel of the bottom wing moved quite a bit.

I just finished updating the spec map with the final 1x1 mask and modified the parts that needed changes. I also did the few modifications the normal map needed. So now I just need to check everything really well and it'll be ready for release. I think I'm going to give it 2 more degrees of elevator it seems to need just a bit more.

Ha.. I started this plane in October of 2017 and am just getting it ready for release. Boy I guess that's why there's not much interest in it, that's a long time.

Question: Since I've been away from it for a long time does anyone want to give a beta a really good look and report any problems you find? I've been looking at it so much recently it all starts to run together so I might not notice a bug if I'm looking at it.

I would like a test model SE5A
My TGA

Here's a PNG file that has a 1 pixel wide outline showing the edges of the final 1x1 mapping on the old TGA file in the beta. The red outline is right on the edge of the final mapping so the red outline is included in the final mask. I used a PNG so I could have the background transparent so you could see the red outline better. The PNG was larger than allowed so I had to upload it as an RFX file. So just save it and remove the '.rfx' from the end and load the PNG in Photoshop.

There are lots of changes, small and fairly large so look at all the parts zoomed in and you'll see the mismatch. So what parts are different hstab, vstab, wings and aileron sides, the bottom of the fuselage was shaped funny so it's really different. Look at the left side where the gauges are and you see seven parts where the red outline is about 6 pixels out from what they surround so those parts need to be filled in to match the final mapping. If you want I can send you the latest mask and the PNG edges and you can load either as a layer in your color scheme PSD file to see the differences. But the PNG will do a pretty good job of showing you what's different because it only outlines the part so you can see the part better.

I just emailed you the beta so check your email.

Attachments

• RAF SE5a EDGES.png.rfx
    625.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just finished morning chores like mowing. I'll check it out today. First meds and a bit of old man rest. Happy Labor Day.

It's looking fine on my end. Nothing to complain about. Good job getting it ready for release.

Back