Real flight Tutorial Video Repository

Boof69

I think I may continue making videos for this hobby. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate them in a single thread.
Feel free to comment on the tutorials or post your own videos or video ideas.

Tutorial model from 3DS Max to RF video

Follow this Link to view or download the BoxTrainer.mp4

This is a tutorial video that will show you some of the most basic tools, tips, and shortcuts in 3DS Max while making a very basic box like model with the required naming, parenting aka: linking aka: hierarchy, pivots, and single external image file.
Then finally importing the resulting kex into RF and setting it up to use KE's stock model physics for the PT-40.
This tutorial will not cover any moderate or advanced modeling techniques. That is not this videos intent. Instead it is intended to demystify KE's base requirements and process for imported models and to show enough of 3DS Max to quell the nerves of a would-be modeler.
My apologies for the lack of any real organization of thought in this video as it was made spontaneously. I do not profess to be an eloquent speaker, but I do think that anyone should be able to follow along and get their first model into RF. I have a correction for the video: while naming the vertical stabilizer I incorrectly named it "~CS_MVS" where it should be "~CS_MMVS" and The rudder is incorrectly named as well it should be "~CS_MMR"

I will keep this video up as long as my website survives. The video is real time and lasts 1:16:05. I've tested it in Chrome and IE.
It will stream in Chrome or you can right click the video and "Save Video As" to your computer. It is 205MB.
In my IE 32bit a Quicktime plugin took over and streamed the video and blocked me from saving to my computer.
Although IE 64bit had no such plugin and brought up a dialog box with play and save options.
Whichever browser you use streaming is an option.
It will also play in the Android stock browser (Ice Cream Sandwich anyways), and in Chrome for Android on Android phones
It should also play on your Iphone. Thanks Jeff.

Attached are the source files for this project in case anyone may find them of use.

Feel free to leave questions or comments here in this thread.
Thanks and Good luck! -Boof69

@DHK79 could you please add a link to this post in your "How to build your own models" thread.

Last edited:
Mapping a model in 3DS Max videos

This is the first video and it covers mapping the fuselage.
This is the second video and it covers mapping the flying surfaces.
This is the last video and it covers mapping the wheels, internal frames of the wings and H-Stab, and packing the UVs.

For these videos I used the Kaos which has modeled internal structures. It involves mapping the entire model except for the motor and baked material parts.
It should help anyone struggling with this aspect of modeling. It is not meant as the only way to map just the way I personally do it.
Thanks and Good Luck!

These videos will remain as long as my website survives.

Last edited:
Smoothing Groups in 3ds Max

Smoothing Groups.

This is a video to attempt to explain and demonstrate smoothing groups in 3ds Max.
I use my Bristol M1 to help explain because of the faceted fuselage.

Last edited:
That's very odd. Have no idea what it could be. Thanks for checking I'll keep looking into it.

I have no way of trouble shooting since it works on all browsers and devices in my home.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 7
There are problems still. but all the video is working and the forums are fine. My models page is blank and the flash photo viewer on the main page is missing. Database connect issues me thinks.

Back