RealFlight 6.5 Exporter Question

technoid

It may be 2017 but I just installed my new copy of RealFlight 6.5. I found a brand new unopened copy of 6.5 with the Interlink controller in Canada so I ordered it and got it a few days ago. It has the exact controller I got when I purchased 7.0 just before the 7.5 upgrade so now I have a backup controller too.

I've been developing for 7.5 for a long time but always wanted to be able to export planes for 6.5 too so I finally took the plunge and put out the bucks for 6.5, but the question is. Can I import planes in 6.5 that's been exported using the 3ds KEmax 27k exporter for RF 7.5. And if not is it possible to have both of them installed at the same time in 3ds Max. I know I can just try it and see what happens, and I will.. but I wanted to say Hi to everyone on the 6.5 forum and say I'll be releasing some plane for 6.5 now. In fact I have two planes waiting to be released. I have a control line flying wing I modeled for RC called the Mercury Toreador and a Bi-Plane I designed myself called Big Red Mk II. So very soon I'll be releasing those, as soon as I find out how to deal with the 6.5 20k and 7.5 27k exporter issue.

So anyway Hello to everyone!

Attachments

• Mecury Toreador 01.jpg
    Mecury Toreador 01.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Mecury Toreador 02.jpg
    Mecury Toreador 02.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Big Red Mk II 01.jpg
    Big Red Mk II 01.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It may be 2017 but I just installed my new copy of RealFlight 6.5. I found a brand new unopened copy of 6.5 with the Interlink controller in Canada so I ordered it and got it a few days ago. It has the exact controller I got when I purchased 7.0 just before the 7.5 upgrade so now I have a backup controller too.

I've been developing for 7.5 for a long time but always wanted to be able to export planes for 6.5 too so I finally took the plunge and put out the bucks for 6.5, but the question is. Can I import planes in 6.5 that's been exported using the 3ds KEmax 27k exporter for RF 7.5. And if not is it possible to have both of them installed at the same time in 3ds Max. I know I can just try it and see what happens, and I will.. but I wanted to say Hi to everyone on the 6.5 forum and say I'll be releasing some plane for 6.5 now. In fact I have two planes waiting to be released. I have a control line flying wing I modeled for RC called the Mercury Toreador and a Bi-Plane I designed myself called Big Red Mk II. So very soon I'll be releasing those, as soon as I find out how to deal with the 6.5 20k and 7.5 27k exporter issue.

So anyway Hello to everyone!

I just have the 7.5 exporter installed, build the plane in 7.5, export the ea, tweak the kex file, import into 6.5 and check for problems that could arise with the mapping, or 3d model and strength of the landing gear and other components with hard landings.

It is to my knowledge that both can be installed except one needs to be renamed during the install. as installing the second will over write part of the first.

6.5 does not care/lag if the model is in between 20k and 30k triangle. Only under powered gpu's will suffer especially with no collision mesh.

I just have the 7.5 exporter installed, build the plane in 7.5, export the ea, tweak the kex file, import into 6.5 and check for problems that could arise with the mapping, or 3d model and strength of the landing gear and other components with hard landings.

It is to my knowledge that both can be installed except one needs to be renamed during the install. as installing the second will over write part of the first.

6.5 does not care/lag if the model is in between 20k and 30k triangle. Only under powered gpu's will suffer especially with no collision mesh.

Thanks. I'm going to try importing the KEX file generated by 3ds Max using the 27k RF 7.5 exporter into RF 6.5 without the fix since I had problems with the fix. The planes I used the fix on will import fine in 6.5 and fly okay but when you upload them to the swap pages they show up under the 7.5 section, not 6.5. Then when I had Doug import the fixed KE into 6.5 and then Export it from 6.5 we had a problem with it. So I want to do all this without any of the fixes, just plain ole 6.5 exports. But I figured you'd be able to get both of them installed some way but haven't messed with it yet. But to me that would be the ideal solution.

I tried to install the RF 6.5 exporter but it said there was another version installed so you had to uninstall it first. So I used 7Zip to get the actual exporter file and added 65 to the name and setup the directory for it but when 3ds started it complained because there was two exporters sharing the same ID. So since the name is the same for both exporters (6.5 and 7.5) I just created a sub directory where the exporters are installed named RF65 and RF75 with the exporter files in them and I can copy the exporter I want to use to the main directory that 3ds looks in. A bit of a kludge but it works. This way I can easily decide which exporter to use (20k or 27k). So I guess I'm ready to go now.

Oh.. I also had to find the product version in the physics file (rfvehicle) and change it for the 6.5 version of Mercury Toreador I'm getting ready to release. So not long now. I think I need to see a Doctor.. now I'm playing with three versions of RealFlight. And with the stutters almost fixed RF-X is looking nicer and nicer to me. I'm hoping the update they're working on will fix all of the stutters and I'll be good to go.

Thanks. I'm going to try importing the KEX file generated by 3ds Max using the 27k RF 7.5 exporter into RF 6.5 without the fix since I had problems with the fix. The planes I used the fix on will import fine in 6.5 and fly okay but when you upload them to the swap pages they show up under the 7.5 section, not 6.5. Then when I had Doug import the fixed KE into 6.5 and then Export it from 6.5 we had a problem with it. So I want to do all this without any of the fixes, just plain ole 6.5 exports. But I figured you'd be able to get both of them installed some way but haven't messed with it yet. But to me that would be the ideal solution.

I export the final ea that goes to the swaps from 6.5 not 7.5, so it shows in the 6.5 swaps.

I don't know what you mean by "I had Doug import the fixed KE into 6.5" You should not be importing the .KEX file in to RF6.5. Importing kex file from someone else's computer can cause problems with finding the .tga files. I export the .RFX file from 7.5, mod it, import the .rfx file to 6.5, test the plane, then re-export the .rfx from 6.5, and post it to the swaps.

I export the final ea that goes to the swaps from 6.5 not 7.5, so it shows in the 6.5 swaps.

I don't know what you mean by "I had Doug import the fixed KE into 6.5" You should not be importing the .KEX file in to RF6.5. Importing kex file from someone else's computer can cause problems with finding the .tga files. I export the .RFX file from 7.5, mod it, import the .rfx file to 6.5, test the plane, then re-export the .rfx from 6.5, and post it to the swaps.

OPPs... Yeah that's what I meant, RFX not KEX. And yeah that's exactly what I did but when I had Doug export it there was a problem but I can't remember what it was. But yes I exported from 75 fixed the KEX added it back to the RFX with 7Zip open like you said and everything worked fine. Then I sent it to Doug where he imported it in 65 and exported it and sent it back to me, but there was some error message from RF 75 when I loaded it I think. None the less I have everything working and the simple copy the kemax.dle file from the RF65 or RF75 directory let's me switch back and fourth between exporters okay, no problem. Of course I do that while 3ds Max isn't running, but it works great. So I'm all set now. I just finished doing a test build of Mercury Toreador and everything went fine. I even checked the exporter signature inside the RFX file after I built it to double check. So I'm good to go.

Back