RealFlight 8 VR Tips

Thanks for the feedback. I am not in a hurry, probably wait for the RTX 2080 with the new Rift S. i really like the idea of inside out tracking and a crisp screen. I used to enjoy flying model airplanes, but live in a big city at the moment, so look forward to re create this feeling.

No you should not have to switch your default device to the rift, The software asks the rift what its audio device is and switches to it when you put the headset on, and then switches back to the windows default device when you take the headset off. So it should work best if you have your Windows default device set to your PC Speakers. Considering it works in other VR applications it sounds like a bug. Can you give us more information about your setup? To do so please follow the steps in this thread.

I should note that SteamVR works differently, SteamVR handles audio switching though their application, and you need to pick which audio outputs you want to switch to if any.

I seem to be having exactly the same issue with audio output and oculus rift. RF8.00.053 has there been any resolution?

I seem to be having exactly the same issue with audio output and oculus rift. RF8.00.053 has there been any resolution?

I have no problems with audio automatically switching to my Oculus Rift headphones in VR and then switching back to pc speakers in non-VR. This is with my Tower download version, not Steam version. Which version of rc8 do you have?

Can't get Realflight VR to start from Steam lobby

I'm having a problem getting RealFlight 8 VR on steam to start. First of all, my hardware is a newish 2018 HP gaming laptop, with a 8 core I5, with 12 GB ram, a GTX 1050 TI with 8GB vid memory, and a Samsung Odyssey+ HMD. I use a A Spektrum WS1000 RF dongle, and my Spektrum TX. My copy of RealFlight 8, is from Steam. When I try starting RealFlight VR from Steam VR lobby, it says incorrect controller, needs keyboard & Mouse, or gamepad, then crashes the Steam lobby. Obviously my laptop has a KB & Mouse, I don't have a game pad hooked up(I'm out of USB's unless I hook up a USB hub).
Any thoughts about what the problem might be. I can get other games and sims to start from the Steam VR lobby, just not RealFlight.

Bob

Last edited:
I'm having a problem getting RealFlight 8 VR on steam to start. First of all, my hardware is a newish 2018 HP gaming laptop, with a 8 core I5, with 12 GB ram, a GTX 1050 TI with 8GB vid memory, and a Samsung Odyssey+ HMD. I use a A Spektrum WS1000 RF dongle, and my Spektrum TX. My copy of RealFlight 8, is from Steam. When I try starting RealFlight VR from Steam VR lobby, it says incorrect controller, needs keyboard & Mouse, or gamepad, then crashes the Steam lobby. Obviously my laptop has a KB & Mouse, I don't have a game pad hooked up(I'm out of USB's unless I hook up a USB hub).
Any thoughts about what the problem might be. I can get other games and sims to start from the Steam VR lobby, just not RealFlight.

Bob

Ya, you need a proper usb controller. I recommend getting a Realflight interlink controller. If you need more usb ports just get an inexpensive Powered USB hub.

I have no problems with audio automatically switching to my Oculus Rift headphones in VR and then switching back to pc speakers in non-VR. This is with my Tower download version, not Steam version. Which version of rc8 do you have?
Its the tower download.

Its the tower download.

Well the audio switching with rf8 works fine for me. Actually Aerofly rc8 and x plane 11 do not. Both always go to my pc speakers. To get them to go to my Rift headphones I need hit the speaker taskbar button and select Rift Headphones before I start up either of these. After finishing then I need to reselect my pc speakers. Kinda pita but ya get used to doing it.

Is there a way to see on the monitor what the VR headset is seeing? (So someone else can see what you see when you are flying in VR.) When you put the headset on now the screen splits in 2.

Is there a way to see on the monitor what the VR headset is seeing? (So someone else can see what you see when you are flying in VR.) When you put the headset on now the screen splits in 2.

No, for now your PC monitor will always show left/right split screen in VR. At least this is the case with my Oculus Rift and Dell WMR, and probably the same with all current VR headsets imho.

Last edited:
No, for now your PC monitor will always show left/right split screen in VR. At least this is the case with my Oculus Rift and Dell WMR, and probably the same with all current VR headsets imho.

Yes same with the Samsung and Vive and Vive Pro. Normally a single view is selected through the software but RF8 doesn't seem o have a single view option.

Anyone out there using the new Oculus Rift S with Real Flight (RF8) ? If so, how do you like it?

Last edited:
Anyone out there using the new Oculus Rift S with Real Flight (RF8) ? If so, how do you like it?

I have used RF8 with both the original Rift cv1 and newer Rift S. Both work fine with RF8. The image quality of the Rift S is slightly better. However, neither are good for night flying because there is a lot of banding in the night sky. Other than that it works great.

I have used RF8 with both the original Rift cv1 and newer Rift S. Both work fine with RF8. The image quality of the Rift S is slightly better. However, neither are good for night flying because there is a lot of banding in the night sky. Other than that it works great.

X-plane and Aero FS2 both have similar issues. I think that's a rendering issue though as they have the same issue in non vr mode...

X-plane and Aero FS2 both have similar issues. I think that's a rendering issue though as they have the same issue in non vr mode...

Sorry but I don’t think that’s true. The night sky banding in RF8/9 with Rift VR happens because of the sim’s DX9 graphics engine together withs Rift’s kinda outdated 8 bit panels. RF could fix this if they wanted to like other developers have. Just not a high priority I guess. In non-VR this does not happen with my 1080p gaming monitor.

Nor does this night sky banding happen to me with X Plane 11 in VR with either Rift headset.

Sorry but I don’t think that’s true. The night sky banding in RF8/9 with Rift VR happens because of the sim’s DX9 graphics engine together withs Rift’s kinda outdated 8 bit panels. RF could fix this if they wanted to like other developers have. Just not a high priority I guess. In non-VR this does not happen with my 1080p gaming monitor.

Nor does this night sky banding happen to me with X Plane 11 in VR with either Rift headset.

I've never had this issue on my Vive Pro or Samsung Odyssey but they do have much better panels than the Rift.

Back